• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fair enough Freddy....I eat my words

simmy

International Regular
Flintoff is second best seamer in the world at the moment for me behind McGrath obv.

I think he's much a superior bowler than Shaoib as his ability to bowl on flat pitches with reverse swing is exceptional.

Who knows... when McGrath retires, and Harmison bowling consistently like he did at Lords, Jones bowling like he has since Lords... the top three seamers could all be English!

I actually thought that Freddie was a bit overrated before the series started but now, against the best, he is scoring hundreds and taking stack loads of wickets bowling swing at 90mph.

Better than Botham by the end of his career. Mark my words.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff is a very good bowler but he has to start taking bags of wickets more consistently before he can be considered the second best seamer in the world. He has a tendancy to bowl a really good spell, get one wicket and then go off again after 5 overs because Vaughan doesn't want to overwork him. That's fine, but it means he's never going to rip through sides the way someone like Shoaib can.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Personally, I'd take Simon Jones or Stephen Harmison over Flintoff if we're looking purely at the bowling aspect...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Flintoff is a very good bowler but he has to start taking bags of wickets more consistently before he can be considered the second best seamer in the world. He has a tendancy to bowl a really good spell, get one wicket and then go off again after 5 overs because Vaughan doesn't want to overwork him. That's fine, but it means he's never going to rip through sides the way someone like Shoaib can.
Vaughan has a funny way of showing it then! Overs bowled by English bowlers thus far:

Flintoff: 160.0
Harmison: 138.3
Giles: 137.0
Jones:102.0
Hoggard: 98.0

Vaughan overbowling Fred is one of my biggest worries this side of Jones's ankle. Fred isn't going to refuse because, well no seamer worth his salt would & he has a heart the size of Lancashire, but his action must take a lot out of his body.

Beleg

International Regular
I think he's much a superior bowler than Shaoib as his ability to bowl on flat pitches with reverse swing is exceptional.
Now, I really had to laugh at this one. Flintoff maybe a superior bowler than Shoaib (and I am not in the mode for arguing for or against) but it definately isn't because of this reason.

chalky

International Debutant
Big winter for Freddie to shed ghosts of Kumble & Harbajan on Indian pitches. If he can do that you would have to say he is the complete player.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
What about Glen Chapple? Surely he was never worthy of the England squad call-up he received two years ago? :p
of course he did he was Lancastrian :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
of course he did he was Lancastrian :p
And he did hit 55* off 16 balls against Berkshire or whoever it was, can't forget that...... :D :p

EDIT: Buckinghamshire, sorry.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If chapple had played a few ODI's or a test or so a few years ago, i don't think he would have done any worse than some of the players England have picked over the years.

tooextracool

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
As someone who's always labelled Flintoff as an overated Test cricketer, I like to say for the record he's proved me totally wrong.

Against the best opposition under the extreme pressure and expectation he's been nothing short of outstanding !!!

I always thought he'd be more than handy with the ball, but thought the Aussies would find weaknesses in his batting technique. Obviously this hasn't happened, therefore time for me to eat my words.

Well done Flintoff !!!!

As for my pre-ashes prediction of 4-5 nil to Australia.......Another red face :wacko:
one of your best posts.
all sarcasm aside, good on you for admitting that you got this one wrong.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Flintoff, for mine, is in the top 5-10 bowlers in the world right now.
thered be a strong argument as to why he isnt in the top 5 at the moment. i can see the case for 3 bowlers being better than him-mcgrath, warne and murali.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
theres no point in ripping through sides if you cant do it fairly regularly.

tooextracool

International Coach
tassietiger said:
Personally, I'd take Simon Jones or Stephen Harmison over Flintoff if we're looking purely at the bowling aspect...
cant see how harmison is as good as flintoff, relies too much on the wicket. jones is a completely different story, because assuming he doesnt get injured, i'd be extremely surprised if he isnt in the top 2-3 bowlers in the world in a few years. swinging the new ball and the old balls both ways at 90 mph is something very very rare indeed.

twctopcat

International Regular
Hope Freddy gets down to the no pants dance a bit more soon with his lovely wife. Only has the one daughter and i dont't want his prized genes going to the waste. Either that or clone the hero.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
theres no point in ripping through sides if you cant do it fairly regularly.
Why not? It wins matches.

The point is that taking 3/60 from 15 overs or whatever is a good effort but it's not going to turn a game on its head.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:

The point is that taking 3/60 from 15 overs or whatever is a good effort but it's not going to turn a game on its head.
It isn't ALWAYS going to have turned a game on its head, but it could well have.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
It isn't ALWAYS going to have turned a game on its head, but it could well have.
Yeah well, it could concievably, but really I think almost all of the time a team can recover from losing three wickets. I'm not exactly sure why he doesn't do it mind you, because Flintoff certainly bowls well enough to take bags of wickets, but the fact that he's been among the best bowlers in this series and yet doesn't have a 5 wicket haul while Jones has two, Warne and McGrath both have one and so on is telling.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:

and a 5/25 in one game followed by 3-4 poor games is in no way better than a 3/60 in 6 out of 8 innings or so. because if you look at it carefully, one bowler has been a liability for 3 games despite winning one game while the other has played an important hand towards winning 3 out of 4 games.