• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eoin Morgan

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Personally I'm disgusted at his selection for England. He's represented Ireland for years now and they've put a lot of time, effort and money into his development. For England to swoop in and poach him shows a glaring lack of moral fibre. Disgraceful, just disgraceful. Pietersen was one thing but this is quite another, he's played against England FFS.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I'm disgusted at his selection for England. He's represented Ireland for years now and they've put a lot of time, effort and money into his development. For England to swoop in and poach him shows a glaring lack of moral fibre. Disgraceful, just disgraceful. Pietersen was one thing but this is quite another, he's played against England FFS.
Blimey, strong feelings.

Picking a player who is qualified to play for you doesn't suggest to me a "glaring lack of moral fibre."

He could of course have refused to play if he wanted to. Does he lack moral fibre too?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing that annoys me is that Morgan last played for Ireland 2 weeks ago, yet is eligible to play for England in 3 weeks or whenever the ODI series is.

Yet, as soon as he plays for England in an ODI, he's ineligible for Ireland for 4 years.

Something's not right there.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
He could of course have refused to play if he wanted to. Does he lack moral fibre too?

Yeah he does IMO. But he's not going to turn it down because he'll look at it as a career move. Saqlain Mushtaq is England qualified, how would you feel if they picked him?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
The thing that annoys me is that Morgan last played for Ireland 2 weeks ago, yet is eligible to play for England in 3 weeks or whenever the ODI series is.

Yet, as soon as he plays for England in an ODI, he's ineligible for Ireland for 4 years.

Didn't know that, makes it even worse. Probably won't impress enough either which makes it all the more pointless.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he does IMO. But he's not going to turn it down because he'll look at it as a career move. Saqlain Mushtaq is England qualified, how would you feel if they picked him?
Well I would take it in my stride - but I don't think my instinctive anti-England feelings are naturally quite as strong as yours :ph34r:

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It's tough when Ireland don't have a test team and he obviously has aspiratons to play test cricket and Ireland wont receive test status for a long time, if ever.

It reminds me of Graeme Hick. He was somewhat reluctant to represent England but his ambition to play test cricket and he thought Zimbabwe weren't going to get test status for a while (ironically it happened the year after his debut. Lol) so he picked us.

I don't really mind if someone gives 100% for us. He's young and has been pretty impressive though I don't think internation calibre just yet.

Who would people rather have representing us, a "foreigner" playing who gives 100% in every game or Steve Harmison who doesn't really give a **** and assumes it's a birthright being selected to play test for England?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

What he said...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's tough when Ireland don't have a test team and he obviously has aspiratons to play test cricket and Ireland wont receive test status for a long time, if ever.
Yep. And frankly in my eyes an Irishman who plays for Middlesex is only a short hop from being English anyway. Not much different from a Scotsman (many of whom have played for England) or a Welshman (who are weirdly deemed to be "English" for these purposes).

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Yep. And frankly in my eyes an Irishman who plays for Middlesex is only a short hop from being English anyway. Not much different from a Scotsman (many of whom have played for England) or a Welshman (who are weirdly deemed to be "English" for these purposes).
But being Scottish or Welsh is still British at least, they're essentially ruled by the same central government and it's actually the England & Wales Cricket Board anyway. But Morgan's Irish, not Northern Irish. Zaremba you can't possibly tell me that this doesn't leave even the slightest sour taste in the mouth?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaremba you can't possibly tell me that this doesn't leave even the slightest sour taste in the mouth?
No it genuinely doesn't in the least. If people want to play for England, that makes me happy not angry.

Besides he's not the first - he's walking in Ed Joyce's footsteps.

And if he wants to play Test cricket, as he presumably does, England is his only chance. So I find it extraordinarily hard to criticise him for his decision too.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be interested to know whether Morgan see's himself as English for cricketing purposes or as a mercenary - if it's the former I have no problem with his place of birth - if the latter - well that would be different ...........................

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I'd be interested to know whether Morgan see's himself as English for cricketing purposes or as a mercenary - if it's the former I have no problem with his place of birth - if the latter - well that would be different ...........................
I very much doubt it's the former considering he's played 23 ODI's for Ireland (which is almost a career for some England players).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that's a difficult distinction to draw Fred. I'm sure that if he had equivalent opportunities with Ireland then he'd have stayed with them. But he doesn't, so it looks as though he's throwing his lot in with England. And having done that, I'd expect him to be fully committed to the cause.

And I don't like to use emotive language such as "mercenary" re someone who's trying to do the best for themselves and their family in the course of their short careers. Not everyone has the chance to be a career philanthropist like you and me...

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that's a difficult distinction to draw Fred. I'm sure that if he had equivalent opportunities with Ireland then he'd have stayed with them. But he doesn't, so it looks as though he's throwing his lot in with England. And having done that, I'd expect him to be fully committed to the cause.
Indeed Mr Z - I was more curious about his history ie schooling etc - lets face it plenty of English footballers have played for Ireland (well during Jack Charlton's tenure anyway) and clearly worn the green and white with pride - was he brought up in Ireland?

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm sure that if he had equivalent opportunities with Ireland then he'd have stayed with them. But he doesn't, so it looks as though he's throwing his lot in with England. And having done that, I'd expect him to be fully committed to the cause.
Exactly.

Tony Greig, Allan Lamb, Robin Smith, Basil D'Olivera, Graeme Hick all players who would've represented their country of birth had they had the opportunity.

KP is different since he would easily get into the SA side.

Andy Caddick too would've got into the NZ side if he wanted.

Simply if Eoin Morgan does well, he'll be "English". If/when he goes on a run of poor scores, he'll be "that Irish bloke who plays for us". Pietersen still gets that from select morons.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Indeed Mr Z - I was more curious about his history ie schooling etc - lets face it plenty of English footballers have played for Ireland (well during Jack Charlton's tenure anyway) and clearly worn the green and white with pride - was he brought up in Ireland?
Yes he was.

Had no idea Caddick was from NZ. The greentops that were there during his career would have suited him to a t.