• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English off season 2012/13

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, developing a habit of stealing our players it would seem.

Hants did offer him a deal but he turned it down, is very apparent that we can no longer compete on wages, imagine him and Kabir were on a fair amount.

Not overly troubled with losing Katich though, especially if Mckenzie comes back. Really hoping we can get an overseas bowler instead.

Woodster

International Captain
Rob Key has stood down as Kent captain after seven years in the role. An extremely likeable chap,imo, and tactically a very switched on skipper. There's nothing in the reports to suggest he's retiring from cricket, which is a good thing, because I'm sure he still has plenty to offer Kent as a batsman and also I expect he will be a big help to new skipper James Tredwell.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting shout for Fat Bob's replacement. To be polite, Tredwell has never struck one as an especially deep thinker...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With a nickname of Pingu I can't think why.
Haha I know someone that goes by that same nickname (apparently because they "run like a penguin" but everyone knows the real reason..) who has ended up a law student. If Teja and Marcuss weren't proof enough that they let anyone in these days...

Woodster

International Captain
A man I have defended over a number of seasons (though that was seriously tested last season) has signed for my beloved Essex, Saj Mahmood has put pen to paper on a two-year deal. Will certainly offer us a bit more pace, along with Napier, Mills and Topley. Be interesting to see how he's used, but as Paul Grayson said, it's good to sign players that have a point to prove.

grecian

A man I have defended over a number of seasons (though that was seriously tested last season) has signed for my beloved Essex, Saj Mahmood has put pen to paper on a two-year deal. Will certainly offer us a bit more pace, along with Napier, Mills and Topley. Be interesting to see how he's used, but as Paul Grayson said, it's good to sign players that have a point to prove.
Bizzarre decision, Cambers and Masters still there too, surely that's enough?

Mind you, I'm happy was worried he'd come back to Somerset *shudder*.

Woodster

International Captain
Bizzarre decision, Cambers and Masters still there too, surely that's enough?

Mind you, I'm happy was worried he'd come back to Somerset *shudder*.
Ha ha, yes didn't cover himself in glory during that stint at Taunton, and I appreciate he is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. We've lost Charl Willoughby so I think it was always the plan to being another seamer in to replace him. Not quite like for like though, a wily, experienced, consistent and reliable performer in Willoughby (generally speaking) replaced by a wild, inconsistent, paceman like Saj that can hopefully turn a few games for us.

grecian

Ha ha, yes didn't cover himself in glory during that stint at Taunton, and I appreciate he is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. We've lost Charl Willoughby so I think it was always the plan to being another seamer in to replace him. Not quite like for like though, a wily, experienced, consistent and reliable performer in Willoughby (generally speaking) replaced by a wild, inconsistent, paceman like Saj that can hopefully turn a few games for us.
Yeah, that's the problem, Chambers and Mills have that sorted, and at least they're young enough to actually become good, even though Maurice is probably running out of time.

Maybe they want him for his alleged Limited-overs skills.

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah, that's the problem, Chambers and Mills have that sorted, and at least they're young enough to actually become good, even though Maurice is probably running out of time.

Maybe they want him for his alleged Limited-overs skills.
Yes fair enough, it doesn't seem a perfect fit really. Maybe there are fitness concerns over the likes of Napier, or maybe a desire to lessen the load on Masters, but admittedly Mahmood not the type of bowler to replace Masters. So the list of quicks at Chelmsford reads - Masters, Napier, Chambers, Mills, Topley, and now Mahmood. Six realistic options I don't think is too many, also not sure on the availability of Reece Topley through the season. Maybe rotation is the plan or Grayson isn't sure Mills or Topley are quite ready for consistent four-day cricket.

Maybe he has been brought in with one-day cricket in mind, but that's be a dangerous move!

Pothas

Yeah, happy enough with that, decent replacement for Katich. Mckenzie coming back as well so batting looks fairly solid.

Still need to find a pace bowler though.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Klinger joining Gloucestershire as captain. Not the worst decision Bracewell has ever made. Probably the best Glos could do within wage constraints - and Klinger should be available for the whole season.

Also a couple of Gloucestershire spin bowlers made the england u19 squad for their tour to SA so hopeful more positive times lie ahead

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
A certain M Johnson joins Worcestershire. Unfortunately for county fans it's Michael not Mitchell. Dual passport holder and wicketkeeper.

Been also watching the Bangladesh PL auction on twitter and quite a few county players signed up.

Shah, Bopara(125000- one of the higher bids), Mustard, Cobb, Roy, Liddle, Hales, Stevens, K O'Brien all signed up so far and it's still going on,

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Miles Hammond being one of the U19s - the first player Oxfordshire have had go on to England selection since... well, I have absolutely no idea of the answer to this question, it depends on what you define as England colours and what you define as an Oxfordshire player... it's not recent, anyway, that's for sure, but it certainly makes my opening lines of the new County winter season next month rather simple!