• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The funny thing is for many years, Essex didn't have a home ground. They used to rotate all around the county. Chelmsford only became the permanent home in 1967, much later than other counties.
Indeed. I used to live within chucking distance of the former county ground in Brentwood. I think I even went to a nursery there which was in the old pavilion.

As of today, Leyton has still hosted more first class matches than Chelmsford (albeit by only a single match now).

tony p

First Class Debutant
Not a bad deal if you can't go to much during the season.
Includes county championship & Royal London Cup.

(Not the blast )

Third_Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Virdi signs a contract extention after playing 5 List A games for Surrey last year. Virdi's last first-class appearance came on loan at Somerset in July 2022 at Lancashire where he failed to take a wicket in the match.
Tommy Ealham also signs for Surrey - the dynasty continues, albeit with another county.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Surely it would be preferable for a player in Virdi’s position to try and find a new county where he would get more first team opportunities. As we have discussed before however , it can be hard for a spinner who is a tail end batsman so perhaps he did not have many other offers.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Surrey’s large squad can act as a golden cage for some players. Matt Dunn, who I mostly recall as partnering Kevin Pietersen in a huge last wicket stand in 2015 has played 87 matches across 14 years. A few years ago Freddie van den Bergh played 16 first team matches across 9 seasons.

HeathDavisSpeed

Surrey’s large squad can act as a golden cage for some players. Matt Dunn, who I mostly recall as partnering Kevin Pietersen in a huge last wicket stand in 2015 has played 87 matches across 14 years. A few years ago Freddie van den Bergh played 16 first team matches across 9 seasons.
Ridiculous. Call in the monopolies commission with Surrey hording all these players. Or maybe let Surrey A enter division 2.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ridiculous. Call in the monopolies commission with Surrey hording all these players. Or maybe let Surrey A enter division 2.
In their defence, they lose the most to England and The Hundred

Though that being said the England greats invariably come from Lancashire or occasionally Yorkshire

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Surely it would be preferable for a player in Virdi’s position to try and find a new county where he would get more first team opportunities. As we have discussed before however , it can be hard for a spinner who is a tail end batsman so perhaps he did not have many other offers.
Yep, no sympathy if his career stagnates.

Starfighter

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Could be a very good pick, but they should treat him as a bowler who bats and not do what Victoria has been doing - him batting six and bowling less has ruined his figures in both disciplines this season.
Somerset like a bowler who bats, so hoping this is their approach.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I won't pretend that Dunn's career had ever developed to any great extent, but he has had other things on his mind lately.

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
Could well have done. However suspect that Billings only made the decision after his travails last season. It would have been a big call for the county to have excluded him beforehand, especially after he seemed to commit more by skipping the IPL.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah can't blame billings. 12 months ago he had recently played a test, now he's got to get through bairstow and foakes, aswell as Robinson potentially. Pope also exists and mccullum has shown a willingness to trust his keeping on short notice.

Third_Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah can't blame billings. 12 months ago he had recently played a test, now he's got to get through bairstow and foakes, aswell as Robinson potentially. Pope also exists and mccullum has shown a willingness to trust his keeping on short notice.
English counties have an excess of keepers presently. You can add Salt and Rew to that list. Not sure if Guest is qualified but he is just getting better and better. Doubt Bracey will add to his two test caps. Then there's Jamie Smith plus the likes of Bell and Hurst just breaking into first team cricket.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Durham CEO talking about getting a Hundred team. Hinting the Saudi PIF will be backing the team.

Further killing of the game in England if these sportwashing pricks get involved.

News not well received amongst the Durham fans on my other forum who all hate the Hundred and NUFC