• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's XIs

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Those would be my England XI for all three format. Tell me what you think. Didn't get very funky about the ODI side. Any suggestions ? :)

T20 :
1. Will Jacks
2. Jos Buttler (c)
3. James Vince
4. Rehan Ahmed
5. Harry Brook
6. Jonny Bairstow
7. Moeen Ali
8. Chris Woakes
9. Adil Rashid
10. Jofra Archer
11. Reece Topley

Test:
1. Will Jacks
2. Ben Duckett
3. Ollie Pope
4. Joe Root
5. Harry Brook
6. Jonny Bairstow
7. Ben Stokes (c)
8. Rehan Ahmed
9. Ollie Robinson
10. Stuart Broad
11. James Anderson

ODI :
1. Jonny Bairstow
2. Jason Roy
3. Joe Root
4. Harry Brook
5. Jos Buttler
6. Moeen Ali
7. Chris Woakes
8. David Willey
9. Jofra Archer
10. Adil Rashid
11. Reece Topley

Howe_zat

Audio File
Will Jacks opening in a test is silly, fine to have him in the T20 side but if you’ve reached ‘absolutely anyone but Crawley’ stage then you should pick an actual FC opener.

Rehan Ahmed doesn’t make any side, I know we’re excited but let’s see what player he actually is first.

I’d rather have Scurran and Wood ahead of Topley and Willey respectively

And yeah, dropping Ben Foakes comes easily right now but this is the first time in ages we’ve actually had a consistent wicketkeeper bat who’s also keeping well in Tests at the same time, and after 5 years of constant docking around with the position maybe let’s give that concept a go

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Test:
1. Zak Crawley
2. Ben Duckett
3. Ollie Pope
4. Joe Root
5. Harry Brook
6. Jonny Bairstow (w)
7. Ben Stokes (c)
8. Rehan Ahmed
9. Ollie Robinson
10.Jofra Archer
11. James Anderson

Appreciate that Rehan Ahmed is an unknown quantity, but that at least means he's not the known quantity that all of our other spinners are. Better bet actually might be to forget about a non-Root spinner altogether, pick Broad or Wood and be done with it.

Mixed feelings about Foakes. Good keeper, good bat etc. But which batsman you drop to fit him in? Pope I suppose, but along with Brook he's the future of our batting and we should stick with him.

Overall, lots of (yawn) good dilemmas to have. In truth, stress fractures, pub brawls, catastrophic loss of form, and the perceived need to rest/rotate the bowlers will take most of the tough decisions away from the selectors.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leach is doing fine in the new England, bowls a lot of overs and allows the bowlers that can take wickets to come on when it's most likely they can. Him and Foakes have been a big part of us taking 20 wickets IMHO. Taking catches and balancing an attack. Not keen on Root bowling more, he's a bad back, let's not break him thanks. Ahmed can come in gradually, hopefully in a few years he'll be number one, really don't see the rush.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm glad to see some support for Foakes and ill be mighty pissed if he gets dropped to fit the middle order bats in when we've got Crawley in the side.

Get funky with the batting order order but do not drop the first decent keeper/batsmen we've had since Prior ffs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm glad to see some support for Foakes and ill be mighty pissed if he gets dropped to fit the middle order bats in when we've got Crawley in the side.

Get funky with the batting order order but do not drop the first decent keeper/batsmen we've had since Prior ffs.
* Since Bairstow. (2015-17)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Being a purist I always like to see the most competent 'keeper selected if they are a reasonably competent bat. Foakes fits that bill.

ashley bach

International Captain
Pope playing as a batsman only is fine for now. Perhaps he could even improve his batting without the added stress of having to keep wicket.
Foakes may well do okay, but if he doesn't then they could consider the option again.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1. Will Jacks
2. Jos Buttler
3. Rehan Ahmed
4. Sam Curran
5. Harry Brook
6. Jonny Bairstow
7. Moeen Ali
8. Chris Woakes
9. Jofra Archer
10. Adil Rashid
11. Reece Topley

:)

For T20s. You have the best opening pair of the years to come. Ahmed & Curran in at 3 & 4 to get quick runs. Brook & Bairstow to keep on the tonking or stabilize the innings if needed. And Ali, Woakes, Archer & Rashid to finish things of.
They'd have 4 seamers (Topley, Archer, Woakes & Curran) and 4 spinners (Rashid, Ali, Ahmed & Jacks).

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

Agree with that totally.

Also if Foakes is dropped that means Bairstow will keep which is likely to have an impact on his batting form, which we can't afford.

I'd go with Pope opening which is far from ideal but the least bad option.

My 11 would be
Duckett
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Brook
Foakes
Robinson
Archer
Leach
Anderson

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. Will Jacks
2. Jos Buttler
3. Rehan Ahmed
4. Sam Curran
5. Harry Brook
6. Jonny Bairstow
7. Moeen Ali
8. Chris Woakes
9. Jofra Archer
10. Adil Rashid
11. Reece Topley

:)

For T20s. You have the best opening pair of the years to come. Ahmed & Curran in at 3 & 4 to get quick runs. Brook & Bairstow to keep on the tonking or stabilize the innings if needed. And Ali, Woakes, Archer & Rashid to finish things of.
They'd have 4 seamers (Topley, Archer, Woakes & Curran) and 4 spinners (Rashid, Ali, Ahmed & Jacks).
Sam Curran and Rehan Ahmed aren't going to score faster than Bairstow lol.

Modern one day batters build their game around scoring quickly, possessing the shots necessary knowing how to deal with the fielding side's strategies to stop them. Sending pinch hitters up the order went out of fashion 25 years ago, with good reason, and that's before T20 came along and put a premium on time at the crease early on.