• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's worst ever series performances

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Absolutely. Something has gone horribly wrong with the batting this time, which is why we're asking what the hell is going on. Given that every ball bowled by Ajmal in test cricket has been filmed from about six different angles, why haven't they worked out beforehand what his doosra, teesra and whatever else he's got look like? It's absolutely unforgivable that Bell and others have no clue on that front. It wasn't as if we didn't know that he'd be the main therat before a ball was bowled. And given that our bowling machines can replicate anything you want nowadays, why haven't they spent the last few months experiencing the sort of deliveries that they were always going to face in this series? It's the absolute lack of a game plan that's so galling. hence the accusations of complacency. Not now - that would have disappeared after the first innings of the first test. But there is no evidence whatsoever that the batsmen have been prepared adequately for this series.
Machines can impart various types of spin on a ball, but they can't simulate someone's action - they're basically useless. Bell has never been good at reading "odd" spin, hence shouldn't have been coming in at five.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Machines can impart various types of spin on a ball, but they can't simulate someone's action - they're basically useless. Bell has never been good at reading "odd" spin, hence shouldn't have been coming in at five.
As on understands England now have a video screen onto which is projected a bowler's delivery action and the ball is released through a hole cut into it.

Imperfect, but it should still give the batsman some idea what to look for.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
As on understands England now have a video screen onto which is projected a bowler's delivery action and the ball is released through a hole cut into it.

Imperfect, but it should still give the batsman some idea what to look for.
:laugh: - that sounds like a real help.

Flem274*

123/5
Just watched Craig McMillan's 107* in 1999. The highlight is Peter Such bowling a terribad wide that lands off the pitch and rolls along the grass. Macka skips out onto the turf and belts it hockey style to the boundary.

In other words, you've had worse.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched Craig McMillan's 107* in 1999. The highlight is Peter Such bowling a terribad wide that lands off the pitch and rolls along the grass. Macka skips out onto the turf and belts it hockey style to the boundary.

In other words, you've had worse.
It's a tight call though. I still don't think I've seen a consistently worse batting display than in this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm gonna console myself in the fact that there are countless ODI series performances that have made this effort look positively delightful. Sri Lanka at home in 06 anyone?

Flem274*

123/5
It's a tight call though. I still don't think I've seen a consistently worse batting display than in this series.
Well in the first innings of the Macka hockey match we bowled you out for 199, and our attack was probably on par with the current Pakistani one. We then proceeded to make nearly 500.

Your current tail is light years ahead of the one you had then though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm gonna console myself in the fact that there are countless ODI series performances that have made this effort look positively delightful. Sri Lanka at home in 06 anyone?
Yeah, but who gives a **** about one-dayers.

Worst batting performance ever, but as others have said we've bowled well, sometimes we've been awful at both.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, but who gives a **** about one-dayers.

Worst batting performance ever, but as others have said we've bowled well, sometimes we've been awful at both.
Oh I know, it's nowhere near as depressing when we're that bad in ODIs but that's probably the actual worst series I've seen played under the England name. Everything from the selection right through to the individual performances minus Tresco was dire.

Definitely agree on the latter. I actually think we've bowled better here than we did against India.