• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Wicket-Keeper Dilemma

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

tooextracool said:
you obviously missed his match winning partnership with tresco in the natwest ODIs against pakistan in 03, and his 26* against SA in 99/00 when he hammered pollock for a huge six over long on. add that with his match winning performance in the WI, and you have a fairly successful no 7. the fact that you have to use a performance against a schoolboy team like zimbabwe to convince me that jones can bat only makes your claim weaker. if read had the chance to play against that zimbabwe side, he probable would have done the same.
nah i didn't miss any of those games in fact i was at Bourda for that game againts the west indies (one of the few english fans in guyana that day) :happy:, maybe read may
have done the same has Jones in that ODI againts zimbabwe if he got the chance, but even though jones hasn't really made a significant score againts any major oppositon to date, i cant see why Jones wont do it pretty soon, in the natwest series & in South Africa he has been up and down the order so he hasn't really settled into a secure positon in england's ODI outfit, but its an interesting case between him and read, but knowing how much Duncan fletcher believes in his players i cant see read getting into the ODI team soon once Jones fullfills his ability in the england ODI which I and the entire England setup knows :)
 

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

sledger said:
although the point of this thread still deludes me, i do not think the case of wicke keeper is a dilemma so to speak.
I know its not an actual dilemma, but with the ashes series looming and critics questioning Jones's place in england's team, some also suggesting for chris read to be their and matt prior's good performances recently, dont be surprised if it does become one
 

social

Hall of Fame Member
kendall said:
unfortunatly the art of keeping is being lost in the modern game, personaly id like to see read as englands keeper especialy in one dayers. England should stop searching for a Gilchrist and work on what they have which is a very talented keepr
True.

People tend to forget that Gilchrist does his job with the gloves as well.

Jones was very ordinary in that dept in SA. He has to scores mountains of runs to overcome his deficiencies behind the stumps.
 

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
social said:
True.

People tend to forget that Gilchrist does his job with the gloves as well.

Jones was very ordinary in that dept in SA. He has to scores mountains of runs to overcome his deficiencies behind the stumps.
yes but in fairness to the lad he is improving behind the stumps, he is much better than he was when he began his test career,

this debate raises the issue, do england miss alec stewart more than many realise ?
 

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

sledger said:
yes but in fairness to the lad he is improving behind the stumps, he is much better than he was when he began his test career,

this debate raises the issue, do england miss alec stewart more than many realise ?
nahhhhh i dont hink so, cause when jones sacored his first test hundred people where sayin well now england have found a good sucessor to stewart, now that jones has shown little problems behind the stumps and not really made the kind of runs english fans such has myself expect from him, we go bacl to square one, has i have posted before if Jack russel can help him fine tune his glovework he should be englands first choice until he decides to hang up his gloves.
 

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
stewart certainly provided a balance to the side and was a key member of the side for many often fruitless years. however englands progress since his retirement shows that his departure hasnt been to keenly felt although i am not sure if his long term sucessor has yet been found
 

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
kendall said:
stewart certainly provided a balance to the side and was a key member of the side for many often fruitless years. however englands progress since his retirement shows that his departure hasnt been to keenly felt although i am not sure if his long term sucessor has yet been found
i agree, there is yet to be found someone who is equal to stewarts ability that can be a replacement.
 

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

yeah maybe neither Jones, Read or Prior can be said has yet to be thr true succesor to Sir Alec, but all have the ability and either one could become his succesor but looking at whats happening now i'd say Jones could be that man
 

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
i dont really like Jones, ive watched the West indies tour last year and watched the south Africa tour this year so ive seen them both playing...Read is imo a great keeper and me as parttime keeper got enormous respect for him. he is a handy batsman if given the chance! i agree he wasnt good in the west indies but hey even Gilchrist cant make 50 every game. Jones is a average keeper and looked very bad at times against South Africa. batting was very bad, i know that he can bat but not this tour. Prior is a oke batsman and a oke keeper. but Read would be my 1st choice.
 

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really see why people think that Chris Read is a good batsmen in ODs. His record in Domestic Cricket and International Cricket are both pretty bad, 25.7 and 21.7 respectively. IMO his batting isn't good enough to get a recall to the England side in front of Prior or Jones, regardless of how good his keeping is.
 

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie said:
come on mate dont get overboard, he is ok not great
That's not at all going overboard. Chris Read is a lot better than good. Adam Gilchrist is good. Chris Read is an excellent wicketkeeper.
 

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's not at all going overboard. Chris Read is a lot better than good. Adam Gilchrist is good. Chris Read is an excellent wicketkeeper.
ehhh, what r u getting at mate, ur getting overboard has well i'm a big english fan and i always defend my players but at this stage read is good nothing more, ha ha ha and you have to be joking when u say that Gilchrist is good and read is excellent, i presume u meant it the other way round
 

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
ehhh, what r u getting at mate, ur getting overboard has well i'm a big english fan and i always defend my players but at this stage read is good nothing more, ha ha ha and you have to be joking when u say that Gilchrist is good and read is excellent, i presume u meant it the other way round
Look at pure wicketkeeping... not batting. In that respect, Gilchrist is merely OK and Read is excellent.
 

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Dasa said:
Look at pure wicketkeeping... not batting. In that respect, Gilchrist is merely OK and Read is excellent.
i dont agree mate, gilchrist isn't just ok when it comes to its keeping ability, he is quite better than OK, looking at read i would say that his keeping ability is better than Gilchrist but not by a long shot. I wont say that he is excellent, when you talk about excellent Keepers blokes like Healy, Knott, Dujon, Marsh come to mind, dont think read can be placed in that category
 

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's not at all going overboard. Chris Read is a lot better than good. Adam Gilchrist is good. Chris Read is an excellent wicketkeeper.
i agree, i do not think that there is anyone in any of the international teams currently that can match read in terms of keeping alone, obviously gilchrist and sangakarra are the better batsmen, but i dont think either of them are upto reads standard of keeping. Read is a truly exellent keeper, anyone who says otherwise is being horribly ignorant or stupid
 

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
i dont agree mate, gilchrist isn't just ok when it comes to its keeping ability, he is quite better than OK, looking at read i would say that his keeping ability is better than Gilchrist but not by a long shot. I wont say that he is excellent, when you talk about excellent Keepers blokes like Healy, Knott, Dujon, Marsh come to mind, dont think read can be placed in that category
Read comes closest to Healy, knott and Dujon and marsh then Gilchrist or anyother international keeper.
 

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
marc71178 said:
I would suggest Taibu isn't that far off either though.
perhaps not, i would say he is not as good as read, but he is the best "keeper" based on keeping ability alone after read. taibu may be the better batsman though....in fact there isnt much doubting that.
 

Top