• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Vs. SriLanka

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
Why doen't flintoff come up the order? He is a great hitter, timer..and would do more damage coming at 3 or so

Or, is it something to do with the new ball
although it does have something to do with the new ball, it also has to do with the fact that our top 4 batsman cant bat anywhere else. solanki,tresco,strauss and vaughan cant bat anywhere outside the top 4 and that leaves flintoff with 5 and collingwood at 6. IMO dropping vaughan would help that imbalance and get flintoff and collingwood one place up. give tresco the captaincy, drop jones for read and the side looks a lot better.

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextra, i love the sig..

Gotta love "Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!"

Who is he, worse than satan himself?!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
although it does have something to do with the new ball, it also has to do with the fact that our top 4 batsman cant bat anywhere else. solanki,tresco,strauss and vaughan cant bat anywhere outside the top 4 and that leaves flintoff with 5 and collingwood at 6. IMO dropping vaughan would help that imbalance and get flintoff and collingwood one place up. give tresco the captaincy, drop jones for read and the side looks a lot better.
Absolute cobbl....

I must be ill - I agree with most of this, although ideally Flintoff should be used in a flexible position - come in with around 20 overs to go when the Marmite bowlers are on (I think I've just invented a wonderful term for the part-timer *** all-rounders) and to rip the opposition's head off in the last 10.

The Jones/Read thing I'm not so sure of any more - since Jones has worked with Russell, he's looking the part (although I am a HUGE admirer of Read) and of course if Flintoff doesn't come off he can be another most destructive batsman to play with the nurdlers like Collingwood and Giles.

Top stuff, TEC

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
This tournament could have been quite wonderful if it had been staged between the two tours, then had 2 groups of 5 (ok, even 2 groups of 6) with the top 2 from each going through to the semis.

When the tournament plans were first announced, a few on here questioned the ICC's sanity (again), suggesting that September in England can be iffy at best.

A little planning and foresight goes a long way - but hey, this IS the ICC we are talking about here.
to be fair, the last few Septembers we have had in the UK have been dry and in some cases pretty damed warm. The prediction may well have been made about the Atlantic Multidecadal Mode,which is currently a major force when it comes to the weather at teh moment( a cyclical change in sea temperature in the Atlantic which occcurs every 25 or 30 years or so)(the reason for so many hurricanes i the WI's and the southern states of Amercica)....but I guess the ICC are into cricket rather than long range weather forcasting...

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
tooextra, i love the sig..

Gotta love "Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!"

Who is he, worse than satan himself?!
darius vassell....the man who came on for wayne rooney against portugal in the euro, and the best way to describe his performance was that he made beckham's performance in that tournament look good.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
The Jones/Read thing I'm not so sure of any more - since Jones has worked with Russell, he's looking the part (although I am a HUGE admirer of Read) and of course if Flintoff doesn't come off he can be another most destructive batsman to play with the nurdlers like Collingwood and Giles.
oh its not just about the keeping, i think read is more suited to ODI cricket as a batsman than jones is.....especially at no 7. read never did anything wrong with the bat in the first place, and since then jones hasnt done anything significant to suggest that he is the better batsman.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
to be fair, the last few Septembers we have had in the UK have been dry and in some cases pretty damed warm. The prediction may well have been made about the Atlantic Multidecadal Mode,which is currently a major force when it comes to the weather at teh moment( a cyclical change in sea temperature in the Atlantic which occcurs every 25 or 30 years or so)(the reason for so many hurricanes i the WI's and the southern states of Amercica)....but I guess the ICC are into cricket rather than long range weather forcasting...
The weather in England is not something the ICC can do much about, however scheduling games when even the County teams are packing up for the season should tell you something. The scheduling of day-night games in the last World Cup games was ridiculous and gave an even huger help to the team winning the toss than is the case here. The ICC are lucky in that the weather at the moment is warm by English standards otherwise the dew would be far worse and the drubbing USA received against Australia would be repeated by Test-status teams who happened to lose the toss.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, events yesterday seemed to indicate that it was a dreadful toss to lose.

September mornings are not often conducive to producing good early batting performances, and so it proved as England struggled early on.

Finally, just when Trescothick and Flintoff were finding their feet (they're at the bottom of your legs, Tresco - move them now and again and you'll feel where they are), rain forced them off.

Now England have to face the same problems all over again this morning - at least it's not going to be that great when Sri Lanka are batting either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Only bright spot of Banger's dismissal is that e/w on top scorer pays first 3 and I picked Collingwood.

15 overs, we need at least 75 more - but also cannot afford another wicket for the next 5 or so :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But is that defendable?

Need Gough and Harmison to be right on the button from over 1.

At least there'll still be a bit of the early morning conditions left for SL to face, but we must exploit it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
A few more like the 45th over please :)
What a huge over for England.

End of over 45 (22 runs) England 195/4 (RR: 4.33)
UDU Chandana 9-0-64-0 (1w) - Pavilion End
PD Collingwood 30* (38b 2x4) A Flintoff 61* (75b 5x4 1x6)

44.6 Chandana to Flintoff, two runs, comes down the track, takes it on
the full and hits it well wide of the long-on fielder, excellent
diving effort in the deep by Dilshan keeps it down to two, end of
an expensive over, 22 runs taken off it
44.5 Chandana to Flintoff, two runs, cut away to the vacant deep point
region, runs hard and gets back for the second, excellent over so
far for England
44.4 Chandana to Flintoff, SIX, huge six! comes down the track, takes it
on the up and lofts it over the long-on fence, typical Flintoff
six
44.3 Chandana to Collingwood, one run, pushed wide of the point fielder
44.2 Chandana to Collingwood, FOUR, shot! fraction short on the middle
and leg stump line, at this pace forget it, pulled away nicely to
the midwicket fence, good clean hit
44.2 Chandana to Collingwood, wide: FOUR, quicker delivery down the leg
side, Collingwood tries to turn it away but fails to make contact,
Sangakkara is blinded by the batsman and the ball rusn down to the
fine leg fence
44.1 Chandana to Collingwood, two runs, played away to the deep
midwicket region, gets it wide of the fielder in the deep and
comes back for the second

Sudeep

International Captain
Collie caught brilliantly by Jayawardene off Vass at the boundary...

217/5 in the 48th... 230-240 I say... Unless Flintoff provides another 20+ over...