• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England u-19 in India

Spetsnatz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Apparently Ben Harmison (Steve's little brother) is playing for England u-19
and Mayank Tehlan, Virender Sehwag's cousing for India u-19.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rayudu is rated very highly by just about everyone who's seen him. He'd be one to look out for there.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
England look to have been horribly outplayed there.

Can't imagine the pitch would've been like anything most of 'em have played on before.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
duffer said:
Rayudu is rated very highly by just about everyone who's seen him. He'd be one to look out for there.
Rayudu is excessively overrated. Young talent......teenage prodigy........budding Sachin.....blah..blah..blah...all after some good form shown in England, getting louder after 200 runs in not too many balls against a weak Andhra attack, maybe in a tiny club ground. Then he gets out for 0 and 1 against a full-strength Mumbai attack. He's struggled for a long time, and when he played in the Challenger Series, the Kenstar Trophy and a triangular in Nairobi, he had no proper shot selection, no power, no technique- is THIS an India prospect?
Who are the promising players to watch out for on either side ?
From the India U-19 side-
  • Gaurav Dhiman- Nippy medium-pacer who can swing the ball and also hit the ball hard coming in at 7 or 8
  • Harvinder Singh- Off-spinner from a Mumbai school who can also get lots of runs
  • Hardevender Singh- Second-placed in the Scorpio Speedster, a hunt for India's fastest bowler, in 2003-04.
  • Abid Nabi- Rated very highly by journalists, the J&K pace bowler is over six feet in height (some Indian 'fast' bowlers are well under) and bowls regularly at 140+km/h.
  • Mayank Tehlan- He's played for Delhi in Ranj a few times

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Steven Davies (Captain)
Ben Harmison
Adam Harrison
Mark Lawson

Are probably the most well known of the squad.

Mark Lawson is by far the best leg spinner at this level in England, but probably crap compared to Indias young spinning prospects.
Ben Harmison is no where near the pace of his brother...he's more an medium pacer. His batting shows more promise.
Steven Davies is a very talented keeper / batsmen (yes im bias :P) he did well in the u-19 world cup.
Adam Harrison is a promising bowler from Glamorgan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SpaceMonkey said:
Steven Davies is a very talented keeper / batsmen (yes im bias :P) he did well in the u-19 world cup.
Will he get a run now Rhodes has finally been pensioned off? Or is it gonna be Pipe?

I read interview with Davies in The Guardian where he said he was looking at getting a place in your CC side as a batter. How useful is he? Have to admit I've never seen him.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Will he get a run now Rhodes has finally been pensioned off? Or is it gonna be Pipe?

I read interview with Davies in The Guardian where he said he was looking at getting a place in your CC side as a batter. How useful is he? Have to admit I've never seen him.
Last i heard it was up in the air. But a friend of mine who lives next to the ground says he saw him in the gym this week wearing Worcestershire colours. So i guess we can take it as he'll be staying. I'm not happy with that cos i think he's a bit pap myself :) but ho hum :)

He's a left handed bat. Highly rated by everyone at Worcs.
TBH with how bad our batting was last year if he doesn't get regular games he'll consider himself extremely unlucky.

Last edited:

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think the best batsman in the indian side is Shikar Dhawan, no doubt. Very stylish and talented and if he's willing to work hard, he'll definitely get somewhere.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Lawson is coached by Jenner, but has Lost his way over the last few Months... Moeen is a very good player but Stuggles against Spin... pace bowlers he is excellent... Steve Davies is Class

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good stuff from India; pretty galling from an English point of view tho. I'm hoping that it's the conditions playing a big part.

Great bowling figures from Piyush Chawla, any Indians tell me anything about him? :)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Good stuff from India; pretty galling from an English point of view tho. I'm hoping that it's the conditions playing a big part.

Great bowling figures from Piyush Chawla, any Indians tell me anything about him? :)
Piyush Chawla's primarily a batsman who bowls a bit, and not too often- in other words, as the Times of India assumes, he's a mediocre spinner, though Harvinder and Tiwani (or was it Tiwari?) are not too bad.

Then again, you may take what they say with a pinch of salt.