• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

the big bambino

International Captain
Thegreatest is a troll multi as well. Back in 2016 it was a 35 yo indoor cricketer. Now it reckons it’s studying endocrinology or something.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly my GlMH multi has been banned, so I can’t log into this thread ad post that he thinks Dirtyharry was right

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yeah in the 2019 world cup England certainly made their own luck by strategically hitting more boundaries so they could draw the match and also win it at the same time (apparently)

Oh and that time recently in the T20 final where Ben Stokes had about 10 plays and misses before scratchily taking advantage of Pakistan's best player luckily (for England i mean with the luck they made being luck-makey and everything) being injured and finally hitting a few boundaries.

Wait what am i talking about England haven't been lucky lately they just make things happen.
That Bat of God thing was also self-made luck, because you make your own luck don't you?
It's amazing isn't it.

Whenever England have any success it's either down to luck or the opposition being so poor that any team could have won.

We won the 2019 WC and the recent T20 WC because we're the best white ball the in the world. In fact we're one of the all time great white ball teams in my view and our record backs that up.

All teams that win a WC will have moments when things go their way but you can't win any global title through luck alone.

At test level, our record isn't so great and we're often a pretty average side, particularly away from home.

In the last 18 months before Stokes and McCullum came to the fore, we were very poor, at times embarrassingly so.

But in the last 10 tests, we've been outstanding. Now time will tell if that lasts or not.

So I think they're are 2 facts that any fair minded cricket fan, whoever they may support, would have to acknowledge.

1. England are the best white ball team in the world.
2. We have improved significantly at test level under Stokes and McCullum and that if that continues, we'll give any side, particularly in England, a real run for their money.

slow deck

Cricket Spectator
Obviously England's success isn't all down to luck.

I don't think England are the best white ball side in the world and the reason is there bowling has never been great.
You can talk about facts blahblah but cricket is contentious. This is the thing that annoys me most about England supporters. They act like results are the only thing that matters in cricket now after previously having very few results to write home about this century apart from their test win in Australia.

All big 3 teams annoy me a bit tbh but at least Australia and India have the talent and the history to back it up.

I think New Zealand was a better team in the 2019 world cup and should have won it, why? their bowling was better and their batting was as good as England's under pressure. It is a fact with whatever hyperboles used above that England had a LOT of luck in 2019.
It is also a FACT that England didn't even win the world cup itself on runs by any legitimate measure that is relevant to cricket. At least in soccer you have to score more pentalties than the other side.

Whilst England was a better team than Pakistan in the wt20, if Pakistan had batted sensibly from 119-4 for the last 4 overs, they would have won the world cup even with a score of about 150-155. Why? Because bowling strong teams generally beat batting-strong teams in games and big tournaments. This is according to WinViz things I've read at least. And it did again take luck for England to win. A lot of luck.

This is the irksome thing about England. They have ONE extraordinary Test result, this series. Most teams don't get the hype that England do after beating a sad-looking NZ at home and a pathetic batting South Africa side. Most sides are expected to win at home. What hype did NZ get after beating England in England in 2021, none that I can remember.
Everyone acts like England beat India this year but umm they didn't they won 1 game and drew a series.

I get that England fans want to have these big historic moments to hold onto. And they have a few of them now. But you already get enough hype in the bloody media, you don't need every cricket fan alive to go along do you.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year

I don't think England are the best white ball side in the world and the reason is there bowling has never been great.
You can talk about facts blahblah but cricket is contentious. This is the thing that annoys me most about England supporters. They act like results are the only thing that matters in cricket now after previously having very few results to write home about this century apart from their test win in Australia.

All big 3 teams annoy me a bit tbh but at least Australia and India have the talent and the history to back it up.

I think New Zealand was a better team in the 2019 world cup and should have won it, why? their bowling was better and their batting was as good as England's under pressure. It is a fact with whatever hyperboles used above that England had a LOT of luck in 2019.
It is also a FACT that England didn't even win the world cup itself on runs by any legitimate measure that is relevant to cricket. At least in soccer you have to score more pentalties than the other side.

Whilst England was a better team than Pakistan in the wt20, if Pakistan had batted sensibly from 119-4 for the last 4 overs, they would have won the world cup even with a score of about 150-155. Why? Because bowling strong teams generally beat batting-strong teams in games and big tournaments. This is according to WinViz things I've read at least. And it did again take luck for England to win. A lot of luck.

This is the irksome thing about England. They have ONE extraordinary Test result, this series. Most teams don't get the hype that England do after beating a sad-looking NZ at home and a pathetic batting South Africa side. Most sides are expected to win at home. What hype did NZ get after beating England in England in 2021, none that I can remember.
Everyone acts like England beat India this year but umm they didn't they won 1 game and drew a series.

I get that England fans want to have these big historic moments to hold onto. And they have a few of them now. But you already get enough hype in the bloody media, you don't need every cricket fan alive to go along do you.
@chris.hinton thoughts on the above please.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I predicted at the start of the series that England would win and the mantra would be “England did well but………”
But this incoherent rambling is next level, and long may it continue - kudos. :santa:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

You say that England aren't the best white ball team in the world and obviously you're entitled to your opinion.

But if England aren't the best white ball team then who is.

For my money, and I'm not just saying it because we are the current world champions, but as such you are entilted to call yourself the best.

Argentina just won the footy WC on pens so as such are entitled to call themselves the best in the world.

I've been watching England since the mid to late 1970s. For most of that time in one day cricket we've been poor. We were competitive at times and lost 3 WC finals before we won the T20 WC in 2010.

I've watched us take part and lose in 11 50 over world cups before we won in 2019, so forgive me if I get a bit prickly when some fans argue that we didn't really win it etc.

I understand why we're not a popular team. I'm a working class bloke from Liverpool, I shouldn't like cricket. I didn't play it at school - it's not played in state schools in England. I hate much of what England stands for and the elitism that runs through England and English cricket.

But I'm English and England are my team and after a lifetime of watching a mostly mediocre side at best, I take every opportunity to celebrate any success we get.

I respect all the other countries that play the sport I love and anyone who posts on here. I try to be objective about England but at present we're doing well so I'll say so.

On here I'll stand up for England and our achievements of late, particularly when some post some pretty cheap shots about us and how we won the world cup etc.

If we get beat by NZ or lose the Ashes, I'll be the 1st to say well played to the winners, that we've been outplayed etc.

So I think its not unreasonable to hope others do the same when we win.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Well done by England and very well deserved whitewash. I was really appreciative of their mindset in 1st Test with the declaration and from there it just felt like Pak didn't deserve to win.

I've always enjoyed these contests, probably my favorite match up, hopefully it'll actually be competitive again within the next decade.

I like the look of Abrar. Didn't see much of Shakeel due to the scheduling. I did catch Brooks and he looks legit. Congrats to England fans.