• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is fair in some ways but the approach allows the batsmen to attack so much more which I’d argue isn’t just a time factor but due to the fact the bowlers know they can risk conceding more runs knowing bigger chases are achievable whereas prior to this summer a deficit above 50 and they could only keep it tight and try and nick a few to keep the game alive. Yeah they’ve got more time to bowl the batsmen out but they’ve also got more licence to take wickets knowing that a wayward spell won’t necessarily kill the game like it might have done. The bowling averages bear this out.

Against NZ and India, it was almost you score 350 we will get 400, against South Africa the bowlers rescue the batsmen and I’d argue this doesn’t happen without an overall change of mindset. Similarly, that first Test in this series, fast runs obviously made a win possible but it still doesn’t happen without the captain backing his bowlers.
Yes, the fact is our bowlers benefit massively from the not caring if the bowling is getting caned.

Look what would have happened in the First Test here is probably something like:

We bat first it's a miserable road, there's still a chance we get bowled out lowly, because we're **** at batting, but we probably would have scored about 450, Lyth may have got a slow hundred.

Pakistan start with a silmilar outlook as they did, Leach and whomever go at about 4 an over, which is what they did. Root or Cook panic. They decide that the pacers whomever they maybe bowl long spells of economic nothingnes on a flat pitch in hot conditions. This means that when the new ball comes along or the ball reverses, they're already knackered. Pakistan outscore us comfortably, our seamers are knackered. We struggle in the second innings to a draw or a loss

Second match comes along, we're looking at resting some seamers because they've bowled 30 to 40 overs, Stokes is limping. The ones they stay with are knackered, bowl poorly even though it's a better pitch, plus the second string ones come into a depleted bowling line-up with no energy around them. We lose the series 2 or 3 zip.

Instead we had scored so ****ing quick we didn't care that the spinners were getting smashed we waited for the best time to bowl the seamers and they benefitted macnificently.

It is the entire mind-set, not just go out their and whack it. In fact we actually tried that to an extent under Bayliss, and we were awful.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think that's a little rich from a team that would have lost 3-1 in 2019 if Ben Stokes had been caught, or given out lbw when y'know it was pretty plumb, or hadn't played possibly the greatest innings ever. 95 times out of 100 they probably lose that match after the 9th wicket.
Yes if a great England player hadn’t played a great innings we wouldn’t have won. Erm, okay?
If an Australia player hadn’t dropped a catch, erm, okay?
Should have reviewed lbw. Oh wait

You make your own luck.

slow deck

Cricket Spectator
Yes if a great England player hadn’t played a great innings we wouldn’t have won. Erm, okay?
If an Australia player hadn’t dropped a catch, erm, okay?
Should have reviewed lbw. Oh wait

You make your own luck.
Yeah in the 2019 world cup England certainly made their own luck by strategically hitting more boundaries so they could draw the match and also win it at the same time (apparently)

Oh and that time recently in the T20 final where Ben Stokes had about 10 plays and misses before scratchily taking advantage of Pakistan's best player luckily (for England i mean with the luck they made being luck-makey and everything) being injured and finally hitting a few boundaries.

Wait what am i talking about England haven't been lucky lately they just make things happen.
That Bat of God thing was also self-made luck, because you make your own luck don't you?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah in the 2019 world cup England certainly made their own luck by strategically hitting more boundaries so they could draw the match and also win it at the same time (apparently)

Oh and that time recently in the T20 final where Ben Stokes had about 10 plays and misses before scratchily taking advantage of Pakistan's best player luckily (for England i mean with the luck they made being luck-makey and everything) being injured and finally hitting a few boundaries.

Wait what am i talking about England haven't been lucky lately they just make things happen.
That Bat of God thing was also self-made luck, because you make your own luck don't you?
The WC reference is stupid, but we did know going into the super over that we only needed to equal NZ’s total, so yeah.

I realise that Ben Stokes should have walked when he played and missed because it’s actually the same as edging to slip.

I will give you the injury, I maintain we’d have won anyway but it certainly made it less stressful. Good job England’s best bowler didn’t get injured four overs into the series you’re claiming we were lucky in….

DirtyHarry

Cricket Spectator
O my bhai...the reality is we Pakistanis gifted this series to England. Actually, we are not interested in Test Cricket, it's a format which only old- middle aged Englishmen enjoy. We prefer T20 because that is the future of cricket. We do not want to waste the energy of world-class bowlers like Shaheen, Rauf and Naseem playing a useless format. PCB reported to the press that they are unfit but the reality is that we are preserving them for more important white ball games especially with the PSL a few months away and then later the ODI World Cup.

Pakistanis are known for their hospitality, so England should be grateful to us. You can enjoy your useless Test series win.
And why so excitement about Bazball, Bazball...No one cares about it in Pakistan. Our kids have grown up playing Bazball in the streets! You English are so proud of it as if u have invented a cure for a disease. Grow up!

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think that's a little rich from a team that would have lost 3-1 in 2019 if Ben Stokes had been caught, or given out lbw when y'know it was pretty plumb, or hadn't played possibly the greatest innings ever. 95 times out of 100 they probably lose that match after the 9th wicket.
All if and buts mate.

He wasn't given out and he did play that fantastic innings and we did draw the series.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
But you haven't won a single test here since 2011 despite it apparently being easy for batsmen.

Root's record agasint Aus is average at best. Stokes of course is mercurial but should be watching proceedings from a 6x8 foot cell in Pentonville Road Gaol. Absent Joel Wilson standing in a test, he'd just be a footnote to the 2019 series.

Aus 3-1. England will win the last test as they did last time because our blokes will still be on the piss celebrating the urn remaining in safe hands.

Home and hosed. Can't see Australia even breaking a sweat in winning this.
If this test series was being played in Oz, you'd probably beat us. Apart from the odd series here and there, we struggle Down Under.

But its not being played in Oz, it's being played in England where you haven't won for 20 years.

During that time we've had some.good teams but so some average ones that you didn't beat.

Our current team has been transformed under the new leadership team and if that's carried over into the Ashes, I think we'll draw the series at least.

Shady Slim

International Coach
If this test series was being played in Oz, you'd probably beat us. Apart from the odd series here and there, we struggle Down Under.

But its not being played in Oz, it's being played in England where you haven't won for 20 years.

During that time we've had some.good teams but so some average ones that you didn't beat.

Our current team has been transformed under the new leadership team and if that's carried over into the Ashes, I think we'll draw the series at least.
1671613366475.png

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So anyway, fixing the test side isn't quite as simple as picking the best players though having proper batsmen instead of bits and pieces players would certainly help. Getting the most talented players in the country to play FC instead of whoring themselves out in leagues should be the topmost priority. Otherwise we'll be left picking Avant Garde attacks every time a test series sneaks up. I do agree that the likes of Abbas would be far better than picking guys who haven't even played 10 FC games.