• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Jacks really is a 'cupboard is totally bare' pick eh. An unremarkable part time spinner at county level and all his batting pedigree is against the white ball.

Jennings and Duckett would make a better opening pair than the incumbents, but I guess they'll just be reserves.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely Dawson would be a much better option as a spinning norounder than Jacks (which says more about Jacks than Dawson, but all the same).

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Those concerned at Will Jacks' lack of FC experience will be delighted to see that Rehan Ahmed is now tipped to be part of the England squad.

Edit: maybe not. Reading more he's expected to play for the Lions and stay on with the senior squad as a net bowler.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess Dawson hasn't been picked because his bowling is the same style as Leach? Not sure that should offset him being a much better red ball bowler than those picked instead. Feels 5 years too late for Livingstone as a Test batsman and too early for Jacks as one. Not sure either of them bowl as well as Root.

Interesting selections all round really. Crawley retained but Lees dropped completely. Only 4 pacers selected (Robinson, Anderson, Wood, JOverton) seems odd since we've only picked one spinner.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's an atrocious squad but we'll balance it by picking Sajid at 7 and Hasan Ali to open the bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's an ATG awful squad selection.

Something for everyone to find fault with: retained Crawley (although his central contract did rather telegraph this), no real second spinner, no serious back-up keeper (I'm guessing Pope steps up if beautiful Ben comes down with a spot of Jinnah's Revenge on the morning of a test), selecting a bloke (Livingstone) who's played literally no first class cricket this year, and no space for SCurran (or Topley) for any leftie variety in the seaming options.

Other than that: excellent.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
From the squad selected, looks like the playing XI they have in mind is something like:

Crawley
Duckett/Jennings
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Livingstone/Jacks
Overton/Wood
Leach
Anderson/Robinson

With that bowling attack I can only presume Stokes is intending to give himself 20 over spells.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes just seems ********. Brains trust of Key, Stokes and Mcullum really coming up with the goods. Spin bowling stocks aren't good but you have to cover the options. You aren't playing cricket in England numbnuts.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Squad for reference -

England squad for Test series in Pakistan: Ben Stokes, James Anderson, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ben Foakes, Will Jacks, Keaton Jennings, Jack Leach, Liam Livingstone, Jamie Overton, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Mark Wood.

There's only 5 frontline bowlers in the squad in total. Wood and Jamie Overton who are as injury prone as it gets, Robinson, a 40 year old Anderson, and Jack Leach and his crohn's disease.

I guess they probably add a couple from the lions squad when the times come.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Livingstone selection is truly one of the most bizarre I've seen. They've fully bought into their own hype.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'd have gone with Crawley, Duckett, Jennings, Pope, Root, Stokes, Brook, Jacks, Foakes, S Curran, Wood, Robinson, Anderson, Leach, Dawson, Parkinson.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's an awful lot of doubters here, a month or two with no BazBall and people stop believing.

Where's @chris.hinton when you need him?
I think it's an appalling squad, but probably an okay side. We just aren't going to play two spinners I think, and Root will bowl about 10 overs an innings.

Jennings
Crawley
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Robinson
Overton/Wood
Leach
Anderson

It's okay I reckon, nothing more or less