• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Tom Flint

International Regular
Eskinazi is the man in form opening the batting in white ball county games atm. Would be nice to see a middlesex player playing for England again too

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Eskinazi is the man in form opening the batting in white ball county games atm. Would be nice to see a middlesex player playing for England again too
I gather he's in a great run of form and may well deserve to be called up. But today's knock should carry an asterisk. This is an insanely inexperienced Surrey attack. You know you're struggling when Conor McKerr is your best bowler.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I gather he's in a great run of form and may well deserve to be called up. But today's knock should carry an asterisk. This is an insanely inexperienced Surrey attack. You know you're struggling when Conor McKerr is your best bowler.
I commented that before today. He has been in great nick regardless. Inc for the lions. Today just bumped his claim and even better to come against Surrey

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And another ton for Eskinazi today!
Why is he not playing in the hundred?

Was at Derby today. Very fun game. Proper retro feel to it with Barker bowling all 10 overs from the start. Really enjoying the younger Hampshire players getting a go as well.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Tom Helm has been excellent in the Hundred and is bowling superbly tonight (still has an over to go so this may be a jinx) but he could be a real outside bet for the t20 world cup if we're short on quicks.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Helm has been excellent in the Hundred and is bowling superbly tonight (still has an over to go so this may be a jinx) but he could be a real outside bet for the t20 world cup if we're short on quicks.
He was looking good earlier in the year, thought he might be a chance, but then shock horror he got injured. I think there was talk in the Saffie thread about why we were relieved about how good Potts was. I think it's because arguably there was Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Carse, Wood, Archer, Woakes, Helm, Stone, Fisher, Mahmood, Garton and Robinson all injured at the time, I've probably missed a few too, so he may well have been about 14th choice.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
As rumoured yesterday, Roy's left out of England's T20 WC squad, with Phil Salt taking his place, Otherwise no major surprises (I wouldn't gamble going into a major tournament) though they must be very confident of the fitness of some of the bowlers - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...chris-woakes-return-for-t20-world-cup-1332090

The squad for Pakistan is interesting though with seven T20s to play. Duckett's back in the fold (though Tests may be the better format) and Jordan Cox gets a call-up (he won the Blast final by himself last year). Jacks, Helm and Luke Wood have been very good in the Hundred and deserve their spots. Shame Smeed didn't get selected but he's got plenty of time.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess that means Brooks will debut in the deciding SA Test. Might also mean he gets a place in the WC T20 side, with Salt and Buttler opening?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Squads for reference pre Bairstow injury.

• England squad for the Men's T20 World Cup: Jos Buttler, Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Harry Brook, Sam Curran, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood. Travelling reserves: Liam Dawson, Richard Gleeson, Tymal Mills.
  • England squad for T20 series in Pakistan: Jos Buttler, Moeen Ali, Harry Brook, Jordan Cox, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Liam Dawson, Richard Gleeson, Tom Helm, Will Jacks, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Olly Stone, Reece Topley, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Luke Wood.

Farcical buildup really for the World t20s. Most of the players are injured currently. Woakes and Wood no idea if they will be ready by then given they haven't played since March. Gleeson and Mills in reserve currently injured - actuallly gleeson just back from injury- but likely injured again soon. Topley resting so he's not injured for the tournament. Buttler and Livingstone injured. Now Bairstow injured. Brook has been 12th man most of the summer. Jordan injured. Stokes hasn't played t20 cricket domestic or international for over a year and will probably be injured after this SA test.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Big move picking Woakes and Wood with no cricket behind them. I'm surprised T Curran wasn't selected. Not his biggest fan but he's been in good form in the Hundred. Every England pace bowler is pretty much fodder in the format anyway. Doesn't matter who you pick. If you bowl first you're asking your batters to chase 200.