• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eoin Morgan retirement

When

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah in general I don't think it's a fan preference/selection thing when someone should retire. Retiring's personal. You can argue he shouldn't be in the ODI team any more but that's not the same thing.

There are some players where they de facto can't be unselected, like Tendulkar in his later years. But I don't think Morgan holds that kind of position really.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh one thing if he retires soon, we maybe able to get bloody Sam Hain in the side, they can't just keep ignoring a man with his record can they?

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
I'd have said after the t20 WC but maybe a third duck in a row might focus the mind.....

Can't see him playing on once he retires from international cricket.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Oh one thing if he retires soon, we maybe able to get bloody Sam Hain in the side, they can't just keep ignoring a man with his record can they?
He's unfortunate that Joe Root exists not Morgan. The question is more how can Morgan keep one of Stokes/Livingstone out of the side.

He's definitely been mis-treated. I'd have rather of seen him come in then Malan to replace Root.

Was mental he wasn't picked last summer, what did picking Vince who they clearly aren't going to pick again really achieve. Albeit he did very well with his chance.

I forgot about them picking Crawley to play 3 and Malan opening, yeah Hain definitely screwed over last summer.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Need to fit Roy buttler malan jb stokes Morgan Salt and livingstone into 6. Morgan is definitely in the bottom 2 of those on current form ability and fitness. Stokes too a bit over rated in white ball but I think we need a 4th seam option and he is the only option there and is a big game player. I wouldn't be leaving out Ali either and letting livingstone take over as 2nd spinner

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's unfortunate that Joe Root exists not Morgan. The question is more how can Morgan keep one of Stokes/Livingstone out of the side.

He's definitely been mis-treated. I'd have rather of seen him come in then Malan to replace Root.

Was mental he wasn't picked last summer, what did picking Vince who they clearly aren't going to pick again really achieve. Albeit he did very well with his chance.

I forgot about them picking Crawley to play 3 and Malan opening, yeah Hain definitely screwed over last summer.
Well perhaps I'm being harsh on Eoin, but everybody says that he commands all in the one-day set-up, so one can only think that Hain not being picked for that series in particular was down to him.

As we know, he rightly has huge lee-way for what he has achieved, but Hain must have wished he'd stayed in oz at this point, every chance he'd be picked by them.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Need to fit Roy buttler malan jb stokes Morgan Salt and livingstone into 6. Morgan is definitely in the bottom 2 of those on current form ability and fitness. Stokes too a bit over rated in white ball but I think we need a 4th seam option and he is the only option there and is a big game player. I wouldn't be leaving out Ali either and letting livingstone take over as 2nd spinner
Stokes is overrated in t20. He's been excellent in ODI since 2016 he averages over 50.

I would pick the below top 6. But I reckon Morgan will hang on as captain.

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Buttler(C)
Stokes
Livingstone

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Roy
Bairstow
Root
Buttler(C)
Stokes
Livingstone
Moeen
Sam Curran
Willey
Archer
Rashid

That team bats to 11 with so many hitting options and bowling options. Salt, Malan, Wood and Topley in reserves

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Roy
Bairstow
Root
Buttler(C)
Stokes
Livingstone
Moeen
Sam Curran
Willey
Archer
Rashid

That team bats to 11 with so many hitting options and bowling options. Salt, Malan, Wood and Topley in reserves
Can't see Woakes being left out. Willey only makes it if Archer or Wood are injured(which is somewhat likely)

Carse talking about filling Plunkett's role in the press yesterday. Be interesting to see if he stays in the side.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Carse is arse. Willey has been mistreated.
We fast-tracked Archer to Willey's detriment. No doubt about that, would have opened in 2019 had we not.

Ironically Archers injuries may lead to him playing in the 2023 version.

We shall see on Carse they clearly like him. Can't see him displacing Curran who i'd say is the backup 8 which Carse would also be.

As I still think Woakes would be first choice 8.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I actually don't mind Carse from the little I've seen of him. He's not lightening, but appreciably quicker than any of our other non-broken seamers and can get decent climb from a length.

Doesn't seem to get a lot of swing, but does move it off the pitch.

Tom Flint

International Regular
On ability or form over last couple years Morgan might not get in an England 2nd xi 50 over team
Roy
Bairstow
Root
Buttler
Livingstone
Stokes

Salt
Vince
Malan
Banton
Hain
Morgan/billings/hales/brook

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Probably right Morgan quits if he thinks his form and/or fitness have just gone. Fair play to him if he believes that time is before a tournament.

Buttler, Roy, Bairstow, Livingstone, Brook, Stokes and Ali would be my top seven in a T20 side - Root in for Brook in an ODI (with some rejigging of positions).