• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
Interesting section in Vithushan Ehantharajah's Cricinfo piece

He attended a fee-paying school - Tonbridge School, in Kent - and his father, Terry, was at one point the fifth-richest Briton on the Sunday Times rich list after switching one floor for another when he became a city trader following years as a carpet fitter.

That level of affluence meant that he could invest more than time and effort into his son's cricket. Crawley was able to buy a flat on Kent's St Lawrence ground in Canterbury for regular access to their training facilities, and pay for trips to India and Perth to improve his game against spin and pace.
very curious because he can play neither

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
They are not going to stick with him though. It really does not matter what is said in public. If he does not make runs in the second innings he will be gone.
I'm not so sure they will, though I agree that would be the sane thing to do. And if they are prepared to drop him for the SA series then Stokes really should have phrased his statement better. What is the captain's backing worth if he outright says he's keeping faith in a player regardless of how they do in the next match, then drops them after said match?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not so sure they will, though I agree that would be the sane thing to do. And if they are prepared to drop him for the SA series then Stokes really should have phrased his statement better. What is the captain's backing worth if he outright says he's keeping faith in a player regardless of how they do in the next match, then drops them after said match?
Yes, it's bit odd the people who miss that this was not just the usual 'backing him to perform' statement, it was unequivocally saying that they're not dropping him regardless of what happens.

Even though everyone would understand the reason to drop him now would make Stokes come across as rather dishonest.

Pothas

It is totally irrelevant. There just reaches a point when someone gets dropped. We have seen it so so many times.

Unless he gets runs in the second innings of course.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, it's bit odd the people who miss that this was not just the usual 'backing him to perform' statement, it was unequivocally saying that they're not dropping him regardless of what happens.

Even though everyone would understand the reason to drop him now would make Stokes come across as rather dishonest.
I think you're expecting too much from Stokes. I'm not sure he has the capacity to understand what's going on

Someone probably said to him "Now in the press conference, don't make absolute statements, say x, not y" etc. But then again someone probably said to him "don't viciously assault people outside night clubs" at some stage too

Aritro

International Regular
He attended a fee-paying school - Tonbridge School, in Kent - and his father, Terry, was at one point the fifth-richest Briton on the Sunday Times rich list after switching one floor for another when he became a city trader following years as a carpet fitter.
Wow... he must have been a helluva trader.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It is totally irrelevant. There just reaches a point when someone gets dropped. We have seen it so so many times.

Unless he gets runs in the second innings of course.
Which raises the question of how many runs does he need in the second innings to save his place. I suppose the worst case scenario is a place-saving 40 which has no bearing on the result here but somehow convinces the people that matter that he's making progress at this level.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Which raises the question of how many runs does he need in the second innings to save his place. I suppose the worst case scenario is a place-saving 40 which has no bearing on the result here but somehow convinces the people that matter that he's making progress at this level.
i mean to my mind he could score 500 and it doesn't mean he's up for it lol

one swallow a summer does not make etc

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I frighten myself sometimes.

grecian

Lions squad seems fun at least
Lewis Gregory really must have pissed off the rest of the England guys, by averaging 58 with the bat, and 24 with the ball against Pakistan last year, can't even get in reserve reserve sides now.

Still he comes from Scumouth so he probably let himself down by being Cornish scum, so understandable.

Oh on Crawley, I dunno, if we win we probably keep him. Think Lees stays too.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Team for the South Africa series:

1. Doesn't matter
2. Doesn't matter
3. Doesn't matter
4. Doesn't matter
5. Jonny Bairstow
6. Doesn't matter
7. Doesn't matter
8. Doesn't matter
9. Doesn't matter