• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Ed Smith just looks like a complete prat, poncing around at Lord's with his designer sun glasses.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hardly anyone seems to be able to handle WI spinners in their home conditions at FC level, which says more about the pitches than anything else, as Warrican is not close to test class.

theegyptian

I mean i did suggest just play one of broad or anderson going forward after the last ashes. Need to move forward and shake up the current stasis ( not sure we can call it stasis now, it's a decline.) TBF to broad he seems to have come out of the winter working hard on his game.

I do think it's all very cosy. Root's doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of guy to tell Bairstow or Stokes or Anderson or Broad to buck up their ideas or give a bollocking or give a rousing speech. He doesn't seem decisive and sure of himself in the interviews I see of him.

Bayliss just kinds of sits there and does nothing, whilst saying we are trying to improve. He tends to call the fringe players poor/average whilst being very reverential to the senior guys- which only reinforces how comfortable the senior players are and heaps the pressure on the fringe players coming into the team.

I think the group of players isn't amazing but they are still definitely under-performing.

They need something to jolt them from their comfortable lifestyle.

I think half the problem now is that they all kind of come through the same system. There aren't really any tough guys in the changing rooms. Aren't really any natural leaders (it's why we've been stuck with cook and then root). They all came through the same pathways as child prodigies at cricket and through the system. They need different personalities but they are all basically the same.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Root comes across very (ECB) politically correct, saying all the well scripted platitudes and not really being somebody who could kick arses. He also seems a bit lost - the cheeky chappy has gone. Swann I guess was right?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root comes across very (ECB) politically correct, saying all the well scripted platitudes and not really being somebody who could kick arses. He also seems a bit lost - the cheeky chappy has gone. Swann I guess was right?
Not many alternatives though even if root isn't up to it which looks the case.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
I’ll stick up for Vaughan a little, what he said is being taken out of context a tad. He’s making a point that England have players that are untouchable and no matter what their big four can’t be dropped. He was asked who he would drop between Anderson and Broad and he said Broad, which anyone who has eyes or a brain would say. Broad and Cook have survived in this side based on legacy, Broad and Cook have generally been awful for England in recent times.

That said, Vaughan said Wood is the future so he’s clearly smoking something anyway.

Last edited:

Gnske

I do think it's all very cosy. Root's doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of guy to tell Bairstow or Stokes or Anderson or Broad to buck up their ideas or give a bollocking or give a rousing speech. He doesn't seem decisive and sure of himself in the interviews I see of him.
I can imagine Root as captain at the end of a bad day for the team giving a speech like this.

"Em lads, that was a bit of a bother today. Could you please, maybe, perhaps consider, if you would, showing some more discipline, thank you, please clap."

Make Jimmy and Broad co-captains so the rest of the team can get the KP treatment.

Starfighter

After bowling a poor length on a moderately paced wicket with some seam movement:
Jimmy Anderson said:
[FONT=&quot]In Adelaide in the first innings I probably bowled too short. They were not going anywhere at two an over but we were not taking wickets. We should have bowled a touch fuller. It was an oversight from the players on the field but also from the coaches who could have had an input too, which is frustrating[/FONT]
After bowling a poor length on a moderately paced wicket with some seam movement:
Jimmy Anderson said:
Some people think they might know better than me but I'd like to think that, after 15 years of playing Test cricket, I know which lengths to bowl on certain pitches.
You see Jimmy, we'd like to think the same thing. But evidence tells us otherwise.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I’ll stick up for Vaughan a little, what he said is being taken out of context a tad. He’s making a point that England have players that are untouchable and no matter what their big four can’t be dropped. He was asked who he would drop between Anderson and Broad and he said Broad, which anyone who has eyes or a brain would say. Broad and Cook have survived in this side based on legacy, Broad and Cook have generally been awful for England in recent times.

That said, Vaughan said Wood is the future so he’s clearly smoking something anyway.
Are you saying they should be dropped? I can't say I've got an awful lot of confidence with either right now, but Cook scored a 244* just 5 tests ago........you see anyone else doing that? And Broad was our best bowler in our last series.

It's all very well pinpointing these players and say they aren't performing.......and they aren't. But who the **** are we replacing them with?

Reality is; Cook, Jimmy, Broad, Root, Bairstow and Stokes are absolute locks right now because the alternatives don't even bare thinking about.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Are you saying they should be dropped? I can't say I've got an awful lot of confidence with either right now, but Cook scored a 244* just 5 tests ago........you see anyone else doing that? And Broad was our best bowler in our last series.

It's all very well pinpointing these players and say they aren't performing.......and they aren't. But who the **** are we replacing them with?

Reality is; Cook, Jimmy, Broad, Root, Bairstow
and Stokes are absolute locks right now because the alternatives don't even bare thinking about.
A 5th bowling all rounder option in Stokes is not a lock, unless you're already short on batting which England, I concede, are right now.

6/11 definites is not all that good. Seems like to borrow an IPL analogy, RCB :ph34r:

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

England's biggest problem is the batting order, correct? The batting order is a disaster. So Vaughan's solution is to drop a bowler, a bowler who last took 11 wickets at 18.55! If Vaughan was being remotely logical here he'd have chosen Cook, Root, Bairstow or Stokes (in order to make the same point, shaking the old players out of complacency).

Vaughan just says things that are ''far out maaan'' to get media attention. He is a ''rent-a-gob''. His ideas on ''how to reform test cricket'' are vile.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
England's biggest problem is the batting order, correct? The batting order is a disaster. So Vaughan's solution is to drop a bowler, a bowler who last took 11 wickets at 18.55! If Vaughan was being remotely logical here he'd have chosen Cook, Root, Bairstow or Stokes (in order to make the same point, shaking the old players out of complacency).

Vaughan just says things that are ''far out maaan'' to get media attention. He is a ''rent-a-gob''. His ideas on ''how to reform test cricket'' are vile.

Vaughan was great till hesigned up to an Aussie media company a month ago. Now instead of trolling Aussie, he is trolling England. I prefer the former Vaughan.

S.Kennedy

Vaughan was great till hesigned up to an Aussie media company a month ago. Now instead of trolling Aussie, he is trolling England. I prefer the former Vaughan.
Vaughan has been fairly awful since he retired and entered the media world to be honest. He wants to reform test cricket through coloured clothing and 4-day tests. He loves the Bash and IPL and any ''sparkly'' cricket. It goes without saying that he supports the 100.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant

Reality is; Cook, Jimmy, Broad, Root, Bairstow and Stokes are absolute locks right now because the alternatives don't even bare thinking about.
Cook’s 244 against a side missing the highest wicket taker in the series at that point, when the pressure was gone and the pitch was an utter road? Brilliant. Also, we don’t know who could be better because England play all their championship cricket at ridiculous tones.

Regarding Broad, my point was if he was Woakes, Overton or anyone he’d have been dumped out of this side so quickly after the Ashes. Yes he went away and improved his action but there should not be this automatic selection based around name only. I’m not saying go and drop Broad now and I don’t think Vaughan is either, but the point is that he shouldn’t be unstoppable!

Stoneman has hardly been worse than Cook in their time together. In fact Stoneman at least got to 50 a fair few times to set England in good stead going forward!

I’d argue it best to find two new openers so that they can build something together. I’d be dead nervous batting with Cook at the moment and that’s not how it should be. 8 or 9 times out of 10 if you’re up against a good attack you know he will probably get out early.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Back some young blood or bring in some experience until the young guys are ready, batting I'm talking about.

Starfighter

Also, we don’t know who could be better because England play all their championship cricket at ridiculous tones (sic).
This is a massive part of the problem. Cook came into the team when red ball cricket was still a priority and was played in conditions more representative of tests. Hence he had the chance to develop his game and to show it. By shoving the championship further and further into unfavourable conditions players neither have the chance to develop a proper test game and/or to prove that they've got one.

The ecb really is screwing the pooch aren't they?