• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Ten (dollar Karl)
Thank you for your response, but I seriously want to know the average number of all-rounders in a team (Test, ODI, T20I, Indian Premier League, Royal London One-Day Cup etc.), because recently OHTANI Shohei (all-rounder in Baseball) is talked about much.

Jack1

International Debutant
I’d like to see Rory Burns in in tests. Another very good season and a very healthy career FC average. Want him in for Jennings (wanted Burns in the first place).

SeamUp

International Coach
So Joe Clarke next cab off the rank then. Probably right decision or throw in Pope.

Keeping Burns/Gubbins cards back for Jennings/Cook

91Jmay

International Coach
I'd go Clarke for Malan. Probably not scored quite enough runs to justify it but the perfect candidate isn't going to come along.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd go Clarke for Malan. Probably not scored quite enough runs to justify it but the perfect candidate isn't going to come along.
It's definitely happening. All the cricket scribes are saying this is Malan's last day in test cricket. Sounds harsh lol

Also they have been prepping Clarke.

More
Also worth noting that England are already preparing Joe Clarke in the wings. Had a long bat with Ramps on Day 1 at Edgbaston.

Yesterday, England’s fielding coach Carl Hopkinson went down to New Road to train with Clarke, too

FBU

International Debutant
1 Cook
2 x - Burns
3 x - Gubbins
4 Root
5 x - Livingstone, Pope or J Clarke
6 Stokes
7 Bairstow
8 x - S Curran
9 x - Rashid, Bess
10 Broad
11 Anderson

tooextracool

International Coach
Rashid has been unfortunate to have only played one test outside of the subcontinent and 0 tests against a non-subcontinental team. Unfortunately for him, he has to survive another 7 tests (4 against India and 3 against SL) to get his first shot at another team.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
is this the worst english team since the turn of the century?
It's almost certainly the weakest batting line-up.

Bowling wise isn't so clear cut. Anderson's still very good and Stokes' form at Edgbaston was impressive. Not so sure about Broad nowadays; I still don't see him posing a regular threat at this stage of his career.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Is he a right hander? That alone should give him the edge over Burns.

Who would you pick instead of Stokes? I've read different people saying Woakes and Moeen. I suppose Moeen is a bit more viable at 6, but two spinners and Curran as one of only 3 seamers is pushing our luck against India. Maybe Moeen and Woakes will both come in and Rashid will miss out. Which means 3 changes to a winning team; I wonder if Malan will play after all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I could see the logic in resting just one. Resting both is a bit ehhhh though. Reeks of not taking it seriously, especially since neither play ODIs.

SeamUp

International Coach
I could see the logic in resting just one. Resting both is a bit ehhhh though. Reeks of not taking it seriously, especially since neither play ODIs.
Same. Would take Broad.

Not sure how much bowling Woakes has done in sub but considering his away performances I am not sure making him lead the attack is ideal although with SA having just been there they will likely have to play 2 spinners.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Same. Would take Broad.

Not sure how much bowling Woakes has done in sub but considering his away performances I am not sure making him lead the attack is ideal although with SA having just been there they will likely have to play 2 spinners.
We would need to find 2 spinners first, Rashid has proven himself to be not the answer...

Jack1

International Debutant
Reeks of them wanting to mess about and have a holiday together. Every test matters in cricket. There's no reason to rest them both, unless they are considering ditching them both from the side. Anderson has had a persistent shoulder problem, so that might make sense. However, Woakes has shown that he struggles away from home and England do need Broad in the team if Anderson is getting rested. Seems like Broad has thrown a tantrum that his buddy Anderson won't be touring and therefore made himself unavailable.

Jack1

International Debutant
Which spinners would you take to SL?
Rashid is the first spinner on the sheet. He's been captained atrociously in the series and clearly the most skilled spinner in England. He just needs to be trusted. The second spinner is anyone's guess, they are all miles behind Rashid in raw ability. Rashid is a good option as an attacking spinner, England just need a defensive bowler in tandem with him. England need a test captain that understands and trusts spin. Root is far from that and should be ditched as captain. I'd be tempted by Dawson as the second spinner to tie up one end whilst Rashid attacks the other. Dawson can be a decent option on a rank turner. Depends on the surface tbh. I'm unsure by Leach, but he could be an option too as a 3rd spinner. We've seen in the sub-continent three spinners can play at times, rather than one or two. Depends on the surface. Test cricket is all about horses for courses, too many sides are scared to think outside the box. I wouldn't mind Anderson, Broad, Rashid, Dawson, Leach as an attack on a rank turner. But there's no way England would have the balls to do something like that. If Anderson and Broad weren't available I'd be looking at something like Stokes and Curran to open up followed by those 3 spinners. Woakes has shown he's easily blunted away from home and I wouldn't be too keen on bowlers like Porter or Coad in Sri Lanka for a first look either. Nor am I keen on players like Ball, Moeen either. Or Overton. Or Wood. Stokes and Curran are good impact seamers that try hard. If Anderson and Broad don't play then Stokes and Curran definitely have to.

Last edited: