• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Why be angry about any of today's cricketing news? Tests. Domestic first-class stuff. IPL. All of it will be swept away by the 100.

I'm actually looking forward to the 100. And I want to see how many bowlers pull up injured in WIid Card overs after being smashed for boundaries at the start :D

They could give an end of season award to the best "non-injury injury" - because you just know this stuff will happen. Try a star legging to final the final over - and it goes pear shaped - have him roll his ankle and bring on a seamer.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well they do have India this year, so it isn't entirely without a semblance of reason seeing Buttler is smashing Indian bowling. Plus your own Nathan Lyon found his test selection as a result of BBL. There's probably more in the past of IPL form too, S Marsh or Watson recalls perhaps?

But I do find it an odd selection with Ben Foakes around would have given Bairstow to the opportunity to move up the order without keeping the gloves. And it seems so temporary with Buttler batting 7 and not keeping.

It is as if the selectors don't expect it to be long before Buttler is back out of the team.
Hey I'm not saying I don't like the selection, if I were an England supporter I'd love it. It's what I would have done too.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the Buttler selection seems to have strong support among the Guardian set. And like Ed Smith they seem completely unaware of how poor his record and how unexceptional his strike rate is in that format. But then again, so it was the same with Plunkett.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
if you're gonna play him as a batsman only then he has to go in at 6, no? otherwise why play him at all? give him some ****ing responsibility

cook
surrey dud
root (man up ****)
super based david with a w malan
stokes (wba super middleweight champ)
buttler
jonny don't take my gloves away bairstow
warks dud
durham dud
broad
anderson

Firebreaker

Banned
I think Mullaney should be given a chance at least in T20 as ODI team is settled and England largely don't give a f*** about T20s

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think Mullaney should be given a chance at least in T20 as ODI team is settled and England largely don't give a f*** about T20s

The majority of English fans may not, but the EWCB and its players certainly do. They were within a Carlos Braithwaite hitting 4 6's off Stokes in the 20th over to win the last Wt20.

Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Plunkett, (Archer - whatever nationality he currently is) are global t20 stars. Joe Root wanted to goto the IPL this year. Hales and Roy already basically have their retirement plans based around t20.

Even Moeen after a poor away winter in tests is kicking back and enjoying success the IPL for a weak team. Adil Rashid has quit FC cricket.

Since WC 2015, it is fair to say that EWCB and its players have made every effort to improve both their limited overs formats to a level of high success. And the results speak for themselves.

An all-fit and available England are a powerhouse limited overs team these days, after over 20 odd years of sub-par performances.

Last edited:

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
The majority of English fans may not, but the EWCB and its players certainly do. They were within a Carlos Braithwaite hitting 4 6's off Stokes in the 20th over to win the last Wt20.

Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, Plunkett, (Archer - whatever nationality he currently is) are global t20 stars. Joe Root wanted to goto the IPL this year. Hales and Roy already basically have their retirement plans based around t20.

Even Moeen after a poor away winter in tests is kicking back and enjoying success the IPL for a weak team. Adil Rashid has quit FC cricket.

Since WC 2015, it is fair to say that EWCB and its players have made every effort to improve both their limited overs formats to a level of high success. And the results speak for themselves.

An all-fit and available England are a powerhouse limited overs team these days, after over 20 odd years of sub-par performances.
Sure, when it's as flat as a pancake. Soon as it nips a little or spins a little they are god awful. Sadly that doesn't happen much nowadays, but as a power batting line up sure they're immense.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The ECB care about Twenty20 no longer. The Hundred is what it is about now haha

I am generalising but,

The counties like the Twenty20 Blast because it brings in the revenue, especially your Tauntons and Ovals which sell-out in advance. Also, beer sales!

The (younger) player I get the feeling likes Twenty20 because they like the big crowds and show off the trick shots like paddle scoops and stuff. Many of them however still see the championship and tests as the pinnacle. Some don't though (your Morgans and Hales).

The county members/cricket tragics loath the format. The ''grumbling about Twenty20'' is a constant conversational topic around cricket grounds.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Many of them however still see the championship and tests as the pinnacle. Some don't though (your Morgans and Hales).
Why you do this? You've just picked out 2 blokes who happen to have had stella limited over careers but couldn't cut it at test level, so have put all their focus into their strength. That doesn't mean either of them don't still rate tests as the pinnacle. It's just a case of playing the cards they've been dealt.

S.Kennedy

Why you do this? You've just picked out 2 blokes who happen to have had stella limited over careers but couldn't cut it at test level, so have put all their focus into their strength. That doesn't mean either of them don't still rate tests as the pinnacle. It's just a case of playing the cards they've been dealt.
You missed the part where I said,

I am generalising but

SeamUp

International Coach
Reason for Jennings over Gubbins

Jennings is one of the few county batsmen in form. He has scored two championship hundreds including 126 against Nottinghamshire who had England duo Jake Ball and Stuart Broad as their new ball attack. Since county cricket has moved into 50 over mode, Jennings has scored another hundred as well as a 73 and 69.

Nick Gubbins has scored a century and a 99 in the championship for MIddlesex but suffers from playing in division two and England will worry that is not enough preparation for facing Pakistan’s highly skilled seam attack. Gubbins is felt to be weak against spin and England play India later this summer before tours to Sri Lanka and West Indies, where pitches will turn. Jennings made a century on Test debut in India in December 2016 and is an accomplished player of spin so if he is recalled this could be a good chance for a longer run in the team.

Steve James reckons Bairstow should drop the gloves and open.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

Reason for Jennings over Gubbins

Steve James reckons Bairstow should drop the gloves and open.
Yorkshire opened with him in their second innings against Essex as a sort of pinch-hitter where he made a quick fire 50 at 113.64 strike-rate. They ended up winning despite being bowled out in their first for 50!

SeamUp

International Coach
Yorkshire opened with him in their second innings against Essex as a sort of pinch-hitter where he made a quick fire 50 at 113.64 strike-rate. They ended up winning despite being bowled out in their first for 50!
It might not be the worst idea. Even if at 3.

I suppose for Bairstow he feels like he is the best keeper and it sort of gives him the cushion to express himself as a batter. It is a tough one with Bairstow. You don't want to mess him around too much. Especially as one of your bankers.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ed Smith off to a cracker

Ed Smith on Mark Stoneman pre-Lord's: "He has at times played well and we felt that the right partnership was definitely MS and Cook. Given the games he's played in, a tough tour of Aus in conditions that were fairly unique, we felt he deserved his place"

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It might not be the worst idea. Even if at 3.

I suppose for Bairstow he feels like he is the best keeper and it sort of gives him the cushion to express himself as a batter. It is a tough one with Bairstow. You don't want to mess him around too much. Especially as one of your bankers.
He may be a banker at 7 but he still has a poor track record in the top 5. Moving him up the order may well have broken one of the few parts of the team that wasn't actually in need of fixing.

SeamUp

International Coach
He may be a banker at 7 but he still has a poor track record in the top 5. Moving him up the order may well have broken one of the few parts of the team that wasn't actually in need of fixing.
We did the same thing moving de Kock from 7 to 6 in England.

Some players excel where they feel comfortable most to have the freedom to perform.

Problems come when you try to change something that is working. Rather look for the next best in their roles.

theegyptian

Yes i think he's too high at 5 already. 3 or opening way too high. Just desperation and the willingness of people to see different things when things are failing. Seems a bit too desperate me either if we are looking for zany options.

Bairstow in the last year hasn't been great. Not greatly disciplined (to play the really long innings when conditions in favour) and not amazingly skilled against good bowling to play match changing innings on the regular. Not terrible by any means but in my estimation probably only averages 35 if he is to bat in the top 5. Better off imo keeping wicket and batting 7 (or 6) and averaging 45.

First innings in this past test for instance. He was going very hard at the ball with his hands way in front of the body. Not sure you can play like that and expect great results. Nearly always going to knick off or bowled/lbw if much movement.