• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Those of our players that travelled to the IPL this time around haven't exactly excelled (to say the least). Nearly all dropped from their sides. Only Ali and Morgan left in their sides. And Morgan only on account of him being captain of his franchise.

Not exactly encouraging for the World t20s also to be held in the UAE this month.

Only consolation is that a few of the England squad decided to skip the IPL this time around so should come in fresh.

Morgan is certainly interesting. He has in the past almost always performed better in international cricket compared to domestic cricket, but his current form is dreadful and he hasn't exactly looked fluent for a while. Might be his last tournament if it goes badly this time around?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Crawley was good in the blast and ODI's vs Pak, think it's more a Whiteball+youth potential contract at this point.
Yeah, it being a dual contract thing, I could actually see Crawley becoming a one-day player, as clearly England selectors just think Hain is an Aussie at this point, and rightfully choose not to select him on that basis.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it being a dual contract thing, I could actually see Crawley becoming a one-day player, as clearly England selectors just think Hain is an Aussie at this point, and rightfully choose not to select him on that basis.
**** don't remind me about Hain. I'm not even English and his treatment pisses me off. David Malan over him in the odi squad is absurd

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure he will play all that much in Australia.
Leach? I hope you're wrong, especially given how few of our quicker bowlers can be asked to tie an end up for any length of time. But with Silverwood in charge, you're probably right.

theegyptian

lIONS sQUAD NAMED A DAY OR TWO AGo. https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2288448/lions-name-squad-for-tour-of-australia

Lions squad to tour Australia:

Tom Abell (Somerset)
Josh Bohannon (Lancashire)
James Bracey (Gloucestershire)
Brydon Carse (Durham)
Mason Crane (Hampshire)
Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Alex Lees (Durham)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Liam Norwell (Warwickshire)
Matt Parkinson (Lancashire)
Dom Sibley (Warwickshire)
Jamie Smith (Surrey)
Rob Yates (Warwickshire)

Reading around people seem most surprised by non selection of Livingstone, Haines, and Sam Cook

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A little bit surprised to see Bracey there.

Not sure I've ever seen an English test player who looked quite as out of his depth and he didn't have the outrageously stellar season back at Gloucestershire I'd have demanded to get him back in the selectors' minds. Made some runs, yes, but scored then at an average of less than 40.

Bohannon interests me though. I'll hold my hand up and say I haven't seen a lot of him other than the Blast QF v Somerset when he went ok but was rather outshone by Lammonby and Abell, but unlike the vast majority of English batting prospects he does maintain an FC average north of 40.

Bowls a little medium stuff too, apparently, which I've never seen at all, but a part time seam up option is something we've lacked since Trott.

theegyptian

A while back now but England announced their t20 squad for West Indies. None of the test squad included.

England T20I squad: Eoin Morgan (capt), Moeen Ali, Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Liam Dawson, George Garton, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone, Saqib Mahmood, Tymal Mills, David Payne, Adil Rashid, Jason Roy, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, James Vince

A few of the squad have been playing in Big Bash. Quite important with the World t20s happening in AUs later this year.

Mills has done pretty well. Important for him given it hasn't always gone well for him in franchise cricket. Probably puts him in the equation for the final 15 for the World t20, possibly dependent on whether Archer (and Wood) around. Billings had done decently too. Likely be there or thereabouts.
Topley, Mahmood, Garton, Jordan, TCurran didn't do anything really to further their causes.

Mahmood generally decent with new ball, but rarely got his death bowling right. Usually goes yorkers at the death but more often they come out as half volleys. If he could improve his death bowling he would be an option, but at present too expensive imo. Hope to see him get more time in ODI cricket this year where he can bowl mainly in the first half of the innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hazlewood has shown that there's still a role for quality pace bowlers in T20 cricket who basically can't bowl at the death tbf

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hazlewood has shown that there's still a role for quality pace bowlers in T20 cricket who basically can't bowl at the death tbf
He's young and could well improve, but as of now Mahmood isn't fit to carry Hazlewood's jockstrap in any format.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Reece Topley is only 27yo!

Given the Test players are missing, it's a reasonable enough side. No real curve ball selections, though Payne's a county stalwart. The core England guys only have a few years left really, unless they're aiming to become the CSK of international cricket (but hey, they win stuff), so it would be good to see the younger guys stake a claim. Banton and Salt at the top of the order will be interesting. Curious to see how Garton goes. I'm not Sam Curran's biggest fan, so if we're looking for a LMF all-rounder, he might be a better option (though David Willey is harshly treated once more).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Reece Topley is only 27yo!

Given the Test players are missing, it's a reasonable enough side. No real curve ball selections, though Payne's a county stalwart. The core England guys only have a few years left really, unless they're aiming to become the CSK of international cricket (but hey, they win stuff), so it would be good to see the younger guys stake a claim. Banton and Salt at the top of the order will be interesting. Curious to see how Garton goes. I'm not Sam Curran's biggest fan, so if we're looking for a LMF all-rounder, he might be a better option (though David Willey is harshly treated once more).
If you think garton is even a 5th of the Whiteball player Curran is then you need to get your prescription checked out my handsome friend

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain