• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Only 14 counties there. Doesn't reflect well on the other 4 (Leicstershire, Northants, Derbyshire, Glamorgan) if you can't get a player in the 55. Bad time also to be perceived as weak too, with lots up in the air regarding counties futures, cost cutting etc.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Don't make sweeping statements … name names!
Richard Gleeson picked obviously on his stellar Big Bash performances.

Nice to see James Bracey of Gloucestershire named, a good young player, Chris Dent of Glos should have been given a chance ahead of Keaton Jennings.

Hate to say, but if Mason Crane is in the squad, there are massive spin issues.

No Darren Stevens, surely he's due.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Assuming they are going with the two seperate squads as reported for red ball/ white ball, I assume they'll go full strength for tests and the rest for ODI/T20s. The ODI/T20 group still looks the stronger side relative to the competition.

Test - Burns, Crawley, Denly, Root, Pope, Foakes, Sibley, Stokes, Broad, Archer, Anderson, Bess, S Curran, Lawrence, Leach, Stone, Wood
ODI/T20 - Banton, Bairstow, Malan, Morgan, Billings, Buttler, Ali, Roy, T Curran, Jordan, Mahmood, Parkinson, Rashid, Vince, Willey, Woakes

Wicketkeeper issue likely to be one of the more open selections. Broadly I see Foakes, Buttler, and Bairstow as similar levels in Test, so you may as well go with Foakes in tests, and get the elite Buttler and Bairstow for the shorter formats.

Maybe get rid of Vince in favour of a Kohler-Cadmore or Livingstone to expand their experience.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
no hales again

was he that poisonous?
I seem to recall Strauss quite specifically saying that his England career wasn't necessarily over, but if he can't make a pool of 55, especially when the Limited Overs sides will almost certainly be minus a couple of their first-choice batsmen as they'll be in the test-only squad, I don't see him ever coming back. I'd personally be happy enough to see him back, but there you go

Maybe get rid of Vince
Always a good shout tbh

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They should have picked Hildreth just for laughs. He was still referenced in at least a couple of articles about this selection.

Pothas

Absolutely do.

England needs a Ravi figure, we are unlikely to find one in the shorter format so it is going to have to be a Test player, I had hopes for Jennings, him playing the Sri Lanka series would have been superb but that has all been ruined now.

grecian

Absolutely do.

England needs a Ravi figure, we are unlikely to find one in the shorter format so it is going to have to be a Test player, I had hopes for Jennings, him playing the Sri Lanka series would have been superb but that has all been ruined now.
I still think Crawley could end up being one, bit ungainly, when he fails it will be fairly funny I reckon.