• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England name central contracts for the next 12 months - Vaughan included?!?!?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Think of all the bowlers who were ahead of Darren Pattinson at Queensland last summer.

And then realise truly how far down the pecking-order he has gone. As I say - a contract of any sort was always OOTQ at this juncture. Someone, somewhere, for some abstract reason, has simply decided he's never going to play for England again.

I begin to wonder, TBH, whether there isn't more to this than meets the eye. Hoggard and MSP, for instance, obviously never got-on well.
Victoria.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Difficult to imagine the Hogster falling out with anyone, or indeed Monty, as both seem affable characters - looking forward to hearing about any spat

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, really? How do you know this?
Difficult to imagine the Hogster falling out with anyone, or indeed Monty, as both seem affable characters - looking forward to hearing about any spat
It's funny, I've mentioned this before and people have been very sceptical.

I'm somewhat surprised, however, that no-one has noticed the slightest of disaffection. The first thing I noted was in the India tour, when the two of them bowled in tandem lots. Hoggard commented after one game that it wasn't ideal bowling with him because he got through his overs so quickly you had no time to rest. If you read it on paper you'd presume it was a completely sans-seriousness comment, but listening to it he honestly did seem mildly irritated. I can't remember what the next thing was, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with MSP's inevitable woeful fielding - I'm fairly sure he dropped a sitter off his bowling at some point in 2006. You know, too, that Hoggard would not be alone in being frustrated by this - witness Sidebottom's anger at Headingley in 2008. As a bowler, you just don't expect fielders that poor at international level - as I've said, I'm a better fielder than him and I barely practice my fielding.

The final piece of interesting material was given me by a CW poster, a Kiwi - during the NZ tour last winter after Hoggard had been left-out, MSP made some hopeless misfield and this poster, sitting near some England players in some place or other, heard Hoggard say "trust that guy to mess things up", and not in a particularly jokey way either.

It is odd, but I can more than understand how a fielder that poor could cause disillusionment among fellow bowlers.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's funny, I've mentioned this before and people have been very sceptical.

I'm somewhat surprised, however, that no-one has noticed the slightest of disaffection. The first thing I noted was in the India tour, when the two of them bowled in tandem lots. Hoggard commented after one game that it wasn't ideal bowling with him because he got through his overs so quickly you had no time to rest. If you read it on paper you'd presume it was a completely sans-seriousness comment, but listening to it he honestly did seem mildly irritated. I can't remember what the next thing was, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with MSP's inevitable woeful fielding - I'm fairly sure he dropped a sitter off his bowling at some point in 2006. You know, too, that Hoggard would not be alone in being frustrated by this - witness Sidebottom's anger at Headingley in 2008. As a bowler, you just don't expect fielders that poor at international level - as I've said, I'm a better fielder than him and I barely practice my fielding.

The final piece of interesting material was given me by a CW poster, a Kiwi - during the NZ tour last winter after Hoggard had been left-out, MSP made some hopeless misfield and this poster, sitting near some England players in some place or other, heard Hoggard say "trust that guy to mess things up", and not in a particularly jokey way either.

It is odd, but I can more than understand how a fielder that poor could cause disillusionment among fellow bowlers.
Well it has to be said that the average yorkshireman is delightful company until he has to put his hand in his pocket - so I dare say its inevitably the case that he will be as parsimonious with his runs against column as he will with his brass - as you say Sidebottom was raging at Monty at Headingley and I am quite happy to accept that the Hogster may have similar "concerns"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good to see England's administrators are cooking up a refreshing new look at the game of cricket..

Presume you're referring to the lack of a wicketkeeper?

Don't you remember we had exactly the same wicketkeepers-without-contracts situation just 2 years ago?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty sure we did the year before that as well, when Jones and Read were vying for the gloves

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, that was the 2-years-ago situation to which I refer TBH.

In 2005/06 it was Jones alone.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Completely misread your post, somehow, and thought it said 12 months.

As you say, the last time a keeper had a contract was Jones in 05-06, since then they haven't give one and the gloves have been tossed round like a hot potato

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And given the inadequacy of wicketkeeper-batsmen in this country at the current time - not surprisingly.

FBU

International Debutant
Wicketkeeper Contracts

00/01 - Stewart
02- Foster
03 Stewart
04- None
05/06 - Jones
07/08/09 - None

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, you weren't taking it seriously enough to post that pic 2 years ago? For shame.

pup11

International Coach
Shocked at how Mascarenhas has been treated ATM.
TBH, i think he would do a much better job then Wright, Mascarenhas has proved that he can bat pretty well lower down the order and he can also bowl decent overs too, so he can be a pretty handy player to have in Odi cricket.