• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England name central contracts for the next 12 months - Vaughan included?!?!?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just thinking about this, there has been a theme of players getting central contracts and not doing much in that period. Flintoff, Vaughan, Hoggard, Harmison, Simon Jones & Ashley Giles have all earned money whilst not playing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
According to Mike Selvey in The Guardian it was Pietersen who wanted Vaughan to keep his central contract. What KP wants, KP gets it seems:

The captain does not think of Vaughan as a spent force, despite his run of desperate form and the constant worry of his knee condition which requires constant maintenance still....One constant observation of the team in its underperformance has been the fact that although the batsmen have been more culpable than bowlers, there has been no outside pressure on them, and thus a comfort zone has been created. It is in Pietersen's nature to want his players to feel the hot breath of competitors on their necks, and Vaughan's presence, particularly as an opening option once more, and especially if he is in a position to have runs behind him, will serve as a strong reminder to Strauss and to a lesser extent Alastair Cook, that they have to perform consistently at a level higher than they are managing at the moment.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really think he looked totally clueless TBH - it wasn't like he was rabbit-in-the-headlights stuff, he just kept getting out. Sometimes it was straighy away, sometimes he stuck around a while. There was no consistency about it, he just played a bad shot too often. Yet there've been times when he's not done that, and when he doesn't, he's a damn good player because he's not very easy to get out.

And yes, Prior against India last summer was EVERY BIT as bad. And I'm fairly confident Ambrose would've bashed West Indies pretty effectively too.
Yes, but to counter to say Ambrose wouldn't have batted as well as Prior did in SRI last summer. I think its fairly obvious to conclude Prior batting is fairly superior to Ambrose. The sooner you learn to give Mr.Prior some credit for anything he does it would be good for your soul..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but to counter to say Ambrose wouldn't have batted as well as Prior did in SRI last summer.
Winter?

I don't think that's neccessarily true. He might not have done, but I see no reason to simply presume that because Prior did Ambrose could not have.
I think its fairly obvious to conclude Prior batting is fairly superior to Ambrose.
I don't.
The sooner you learn to give Mr.Prior some credit for anything he does it would be good for your soul..
Hmm, I doubt it somehow. But anyway, I'm more than happy to give him credit for stuff he does, just not for stuff he doesn't do. And being obviously a better batsman than Tim Ambrose isn't and never has been one of those things to my mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shocked at how Mascarenhas has been treated ATM.
What, he's bowled poorly this season so he's been dropped? I'm disappointed, very disappointed, at how poor his bowling's been but this is one case where selection has been spot-on. You can't expect someone who's not doing the job at domestic level to do it at international.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Shocked at how Mascarenhas has been treated ATM.
He has had a poor season by all accounts. He's hardly going to get one of the incremental contracts when he's hardly played for England this season.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But as Twenty20 goes, he's definitely one of their best eleven IMO. Especially if Luke Wright is going to play instead, forget form, i'd take DM to outperform him any day, any week, any year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wright and Mascarenhas would both have a pretty pointless role in either of our limited overs sides, IMO, we're that good :ph34r:.

nah, I see your point, but as the man in possession it makes sense that they gave the contract to Wright.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think that's neccessarily true. He might not have done, but I see no reason to simply presume that because Prior did Ambrose could not have.

Ha, first example of you fightning yourself not to give Prior any credit. Now based on what you saw of Ambrose over the last 10 test do seriously feel he could batted like that in SRI?.

I fear your reply..

Well of course you wouldn't, stupid question by me.

Hmm, I doubt it somehow. But anyway, I'm more than happy to give him credit for stuff he does, just not for stuff he doesn't do. And being obviously a better batsman than Tim Ambrose isn't and never has been one of those things to my mind.
:laugh: , son you are the best gotta give you a gat one day in this life..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What, he's bowled poorly this season so he's been dropped? I'm disappointed, very disappointed, at how poor his bowling's been but this is one case where selection has been spot-on. You can't expect someone who's not doing the job at domestic level to do it at international.

GeraintIsMyHero said:
He has had a poor season by all accounts. He's hardly going to get one of the incremental contracts when he's hardly played for England this season.

How poor has he been with the ball has he really been?. I honestly don't recall any shocking bowling performances by him while following on cricinfo. Recently i remember seeing him take a 5 for in a FC game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Averaging 28 with the ball in the championship, but that's hardly the point as I don't think anyone is tipping him for the Test side.

I can't find his FP stats, but in the Pro40 he's averaging 43 with the ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How poor has he been with the ball has he really been?. I honestly don't recall any shocking bowling performances by him while following on cricinfo. Recently i remember seeing him take a 5 for in a FC game.
That's First-Class cricket - completely irrelevant. Incidentally, he's had 1 very good First-Class game all season (on a pitch that seemed to be exceedingly seam-friendly) and virtually nothing besides.

In one-day cricket, the game-form of relevance, IIRR his economy-rate has been about 4.7-an-over, which is far too much. He should be going for less than 4-an-over and has had quite a few seasons where he's managed to do precisely such a thing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha, first example of you fightning yourself not to give Prior any credit. Now based on what you saw of Ambrose over the last 10 test do seriously feel he could batted like that in SRI?.

I fear your reply..
Based on his career, which I've followed since 2001, I feel he's more than capable of it. And no, not fighting not to give Prior any credit - Prior batted well, but there's no reason to presume Ambrose couldn't have done as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well of course you wouldn't, stupid question by me.

:laugh: , son you are the best gotta give you a gat one day in this life..
A gattling gun hey? Well I wonder who'll be doin' the shootin' should we find-out that Prior isn't really that good a batsman at all. Or, heaven forbid, that Ambrose actually is?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
son you are the best gotta give you a gat one day in this life..

"a Gat - Slang term for a handgun, derived from "Gatling gun"

Post reported, threatening other member with a gun, not acceptable.