• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is number 1 cuz they poached the best players from other countries not fair

Pom_in_SA

Cricket Spectator
An Australian trying to question the culture in New Zealand. Next he'll be trying to lecture us on indigenous relations. :ph34r:
And then we will try and lecture him and his sort on sandpaper usage and the world will have flipped totally upside down!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
No, it absolutely wouldn't be a reasonable assumption. You're making a disparaging comment about someone in a public forum, and you don't know the facts behind it, you research it first. You don't just presume. Especially when those comments are linked to nationality and you're just assuming based on skin colour. It might not be intentionally racist, but it is racist.
How on earth was it "disparaging" for him to think that someone who looks middle eastern or asiatic might be from the middle east or asia? And fwiw, you can't really be unintentionaly racist. Racism is a pretty specific thing.

, its not a straw man as it's nothing to do with the original post, it's me calling you out in the post I quoted, where you say because he didn't say one race is superior to another, it can't be racism. I'm giving you what should be a rather entry level definition of what racism is. It had nothing to do with the original poster, but your frankly weird benchmark on racism.
No, I don't need an entry level to racism. I know exactly what it is, and isn't. And my "benchmark" on racism isn't weird.

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Oxford Dictionary.

No one has said anything close to one race being superior to another, and I dont think anyone has even suggested anything close to prejudice, discrimination or antagonism towards someone of a different race.

Virtue signal on, though. :yawn:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When I first read the OP I just thought he was just a bit peed off at Archer playing for England instead of his own country and had a bit of a rant without checking the facts too carefully.

cpr

International Coach
How on earth was it "disparaging" for him to think that someone who looks middle eastern or asiatic might be from the middle east or asia? And fwiw, you can't really be unintentionaly racist. Racism is a pretty specific thing.

No, I don't need an entry level to racism. I know exactly what it is, and isn't. And my "benchmark" on racism isn't weird.

Oxford Dictionary.

No one has said anything close to one race being superior to another, and I dont think anyone has even suggested anything close to prejudice, discrimination or antagonism towards someone of a different race.

Well the disparaging aspect was going onto a public forum to say England are poaching players from other nations which isn't right or fair. The presuming someone is from Pakistan because of their skin colour is the part I consider a bit racist. Apparently singling someone out because of their race and making incorrect assumptions to single them out isn't racist, because the OED didn't define it specifically as such in its 2 word write up.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An Australian trying to question the culture in New Zealand. Next he'll be trying to lecture us on indigenous relations. :ph34r:
People seem to think we've got the mix about right. If anything, the prevailing sentiment seems to be that acknowledging th etraditional owners of the land with a few words is going too far. And who can blame them for feeling threatened by such radicalism? :ph34r:

the big bambino

International Captain
Agree with Red Hill. When you start looking for unintentional racism you're just looking for an excuse to point and yell racist.

Burgey

Agree with Red Hill. When you start looking for unintentional racism you're just looking for an excuse to point and yell racist.
Without wanting to completely derail the thread, I don't necessarily agree with this. There are certain attitudes and approaches which can become ingrained within any society and which can lead to set attitudes and actions towards certain groups within that society which are discriminatory.

Having said that, it's probably a thread worth derailing, so in that spirit I note ***** has returned just as Masterchef AU is in full swing. Coincidence? I think not. Our Hong Kong Umpiring Correspondent plainly couldn't go a season without checking in and seeing what's going on in the world's premier televisual cooking competition. Can't blame him. It just gets better and better.

the big bambino

International Captain
I just think his understanding of the UK is probably stuck in a Miss Havisham time lock. Anyway he knows better now. At least better than ***** who still thinks Aussie cuisine is just pie floaters. He's the real racist.

cnerd123

likes this
Unintentional racism is still racism, but yes intention should matter before labelling a person a racist. Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance, etc.

Whereas pie floaters can be wholly attributed to Australian's inherent lack of taste. Can't expect much else from a culture where MasterChef is the peak of culinary excellence tho tbh.

Daemon

Without wanting to completely derail the thread, I don't necessarily agree with this. There are certain attitudes and approaches which can become ingrained within any society and which can lead to set attitudes and actions towards certain groups within that society which are discriminatory.

Having said that, it's probably a thread worth derailing, so in that spirit I note ***** has returned just as Masterchef AU is in full swing. Coincidence? I think not. Our Hong Kong Umpiring Correspondent plainly couldn't go a season without checking in and seeing what's going on in the world's premier televisual cooking competition. Can't blame him. It just gets better and better.
Pleased to see the Indian dude (with no culinary background) making curries is dominating.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Oxford Dictionary.

The thing is, in England those of Asian origin are targeted by the idiots with comments like ‘go home’ being commonplace.

I am certainly not one who will look for any accusation of bigotry to be thrown around lightly, as it’s a serious accusation to chuck about. I don’t therefore think the OP necessarily is a racist but, be it intentional or not, at the very least the statement has racist overtones in the context of England in 2019 because the implication is that a non-white man cannot be English.

the big bambino

International Captain
Unintentional racism is still racism, but yes intention should matter before labelling a person a racist. Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance, etc.

Whereas pie floaters can be wholly attributed to Australian's inherent lack of taste. Can't expect much else from a culture where MasterChef is the peak of culinary excellence tho tbh.
I’m feeling kindly because you’ve given me my first like since you took a break.

Burgey

Sing it with me *****. You know you want to:

You're hot and you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in and you're out
You're up and you're down...

Daemon

we fight we break up
we kiss we make up

sums up ***** & burgey's strange relationship on cw