• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England is number 1 cuz they poached the best players from other countries not fair

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hush, go watch last week's episode with Yotam. You will learn something.

You won't know what to do with what you've learned, but you'll still learn something.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Unintentional racism is still racism, but yes intention should matter before labelling a person a racist. Don't attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance, etc.

Whereas pie floaters can be wholly attributed to Australian's inherent lack of taste. Can't expect much else from a culture where MasterChef is the peak of culinary excellence tho tbh.
FWIW, *****'s second paragraph here is the most racist thing in the thread thus far.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well the disparaging aspect was going onto a public forum to say England are poaching players from other nations which isn't right or fair. The presuming someone is from Pakistan because of their skin colour is the part I consider a bit racist. Apparently singling someone out because of their race and making incorrect assumptions to single them out isn't racist, because the OED didn't define it specifically as such in its 2 word write up.
Yeh, best not to listen to respected institution's (like the Oxford English Dictionary) definitions, and just make our own minds up about things. Far better idea

Victor Ian

International Coach
4 Pages! If you live in a country, qualify for the country, and find your native country does nothing to entice you to stay, what is the problem? This is not an England sucks thing. This is a your own country sucks thing. Develop your local game! Promote your local game! Reward your local players so that they stay. Point the finger inwards. You rarely get an Aussie (a good one) going abroad. Has there ever been a good one who played elsewhere without growing up and learning the sport there?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty irrelevant now anyway as Archer has been exposed as trash. Will be dropped before the cups over

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I hate it that what could actually be an important discussion about the ability of Test nations who can pay their players more and and/or have higher standards of living and/or have less depth to compete with being able to actually recruit players to move over for cricketing reasons and qualify is always randomly hijacked by people suggesting that players who have only ever lived in the country they're playing for have somehow been poached because of their race or heritage. That's just a nonsense and basically tanks the whole debate. I think players like Archer and Wagner are genuine issues with the international game that could become worse if we don't tackle them properly now, but it's impossible to have a proper discussion about that when people want to talk about Moeen.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hate it that what could actually be an important discussion about the ability of Test nations who can pay their players more and and/or have higher standards of living and/or have less depth to compete with being able to actually recruit players to move over for cricketing reasons and qualify is always randomly hijacked by people suggesting that players who have only ever lived in the country they're playing for have somehow been poached because of their race or heritage. That's just a nonsense and basically tanks the whole debate. I think players like Archer and Wagner are genuine issues with the international game that could become worse if we don't tackle them properly now, but it's impossible to have a proper discussion about that when people want to talk about Moeen.
after the initial post which seems like it was a troll/multi account anyway, the conversation has mainly been about Archer and not Moeen

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mind you, I've got ***** and some other numpties blocked, so it may well be they've been discussing the Archer and Wagner issues in any event (and naturally, not adding anything of value to the topic).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A dreadful OP, for reasons largely already given.

Your reference to the Currans is revealing. For one thing, Sam Curran isn't currently in the ODI team (he's hardly played, and averages 8 with bat and 45 with ball). But what I find interesting is that you say he was poached from SA whereas his brother Tom was poached from Zim. Surely by your logic these brothers should both have the same "true" nation, whichever that might be? By assigning them to different "true" national teams you're admitting that nationality and national allegiance is a blurred issue. People move from country to country, and have all sorts of multiple identities and allegiances, far more than was once the case.

England, and the UK, has always been a mongrel nation, comprised of immigrants and enriched by them at every turn. If players want to play for us rather than for someone else, I'm fine with that. If Renshaw wants to play for Oz, Wagner for SA, Tahir for SA, etc, I'm fine with that. Good luck to them.