• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eden Gardens loses India-England fixture

Howe_zat

Audio File
How can this happen? Seriously, been so long since I've watched any cricket from Eden Gardens. Was really looking forward to this.

Where is the final scheduled to be played, out of interest?
Final is being played at Wankhede, Mumbai iirc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank you. Just need to sort the time zones out so I'm awake for our inevitable successful final appearance :ph34r:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
When you get knocked out your final appearance tends to be a defeat (unless you're expecting to go out in the groups?)

Burgey

When you get knocked out your final appearance tends to be a defeat (unless you're expecting to go out in the groups?)
No England supporter, in the fair dinkum department, can ever comment negatively on Australia's WC prospects.

At least not before the end of the 2019 WC, and then only if they've won the preceding three :p

Burgey

There's this one, and presumably 2015. That's why I said the end of the 2019 WC. If you win those three, including 2019, you're still one behind, but you can have at us all you like :D

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's this one, and presumably 2015. That's why I said the end of the 2019 WC. If you win those three, including 2019, you're still one behind, but you can have at us all you like :D
Quoted in order to dig up in 8 year's time.

That's how we do things round here, right?

biased indian

International Coach
i am sure the game will go on in eden..they have sold almost all the tickets and no other ground has the same capcity in india.....

when are we going to finish some thing well in advance its was 4-5 years ago that we were awarded to wc rt ?

pup11

International Coach
Eden Gardens is pretty much the home of cricket in India, and its just a shame that the politics and greed within the BCCI has resulted in such a historical cricket stadium and the cricket crazy people of Kolkatta getting humiliated like that, just imagine something like this happening to MCG, Lord's or to Wanderers, the organisers there would have had hell to pay, but the BCCI officials would just move on as if nothing has happened.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It is an ICC tournament, and the BCCI says the ICC have been dealing with the state associations directly all along.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is ****
AWTA. Eden Gardens is the iconic cricket venue in India IMO, regardless of who's to blame it's a farce that we're a matter of weeks away from the tournament starting and venues aren't ready. Particularly when the hosts for this tournament have been known for years.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The BCCI reaction is hilarious to be honest.

They can't just wipe their hands of this .

The CAB is the most to blame ,but so are the BCCI largely and the ICC.

The construction of the Wankhede is still not fully complete either but it holds it's first match in March.

Looking at the bigger picture though,The no of stadiums being used in this World are too many in any case and losing one won't have a big impact.
Though it is the Eden Gardens,which has significance in a different sense.

Though i guess at most it will lose only one match at most,which unfortunately is the biggest one it will host.

vcs

I don't think Eden Gardens will be such a huge miss TBH. Matches are held there very sporadically these days in any case. I think it has been overtaken by some other venues in recent times. The crowd trouble in the '96 semi and the India-Pakistan Asian Test Championship match did not help matters either.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think they should shift this match to DY Patil Cricket stadium near Mumbai ,tbh.

Is a absolutely fantastic Facility .Been there and facility wise and technology wise is the best cricket ground in the country.

But the BCCI won't use it as it is privately owned. Only Modi had the sense to use it for the IPL and rightly so.

Howe_zat

Audio File
THere is talk of it being moved to Bangalore, which is a plus in my book. Not as epic as Eden Gardens but still a fantastic cricket ground.

It'd make sense for the teams too, as both England and India play their next matches in Bangalore.