• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald: Call off world cup

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can't say I'd object if it did.

Good to see ya back, BTW, P.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks Richard.. :)

My take (as I expressed in the Woolmer thread) is that att this moment, as suspects of Bob Woolmer’s murder aren’t known, the show going on is okay. However, if some one is arrested who is deeply associated with cricket or associated with betting/match fixing or some thing, it will be very difficult for the world cup to carry on.

adharcric

International Coach
Don't call it off. Cricket has suffered a great tragedy but this should not stop an international tournament unless there are serious security issues involved. Over-reaction tbh.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Over-reaction IMO.

As sad as the Woolmer incident is, the cricket should go on. No one man is bigger than the game.

stumpski

International Captain
Had this earlier on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2. Easy for people who wouldn't lose a penny to say it should be scrapped. Allan Donald wouldn't lose out, but thousands of people in the Caribbean would.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's quite true.

It's not remotely practical to call-off an event that's been in the making for 9 years.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Absurd over-reaction. There are some incidents I could imagine postponing the World Cup (a hostage situation, say), but someone's death isn't really a valid reason. It's not as though the Cup continuing will impede the investigation or anything.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The possibility is that Pakistans players may be detained in Jamaica.. Obviously if they had gone through that would have caused problems..

I disagree with Donald though, let the show go on.. Cancelling the world cup doesn't make things any better I'm afraid :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Interesting.. 38% of South African viewers think the WC should have been called off.. Would be a good way of avoiding another Sydney '92, Edgbaston '99, Durban '03 I guess :laugh:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Interesting.. 38% of South African viewers think the WC should have been called off.. Would be a good way of avoiding another Sydney '92, Edgbaston '99, Durban '03 I guess :laugh:
That was my thoughts exactly.

What good would ending the world cup do???

I understand Donald's sympathy towards Woolmer's family, but stopping the world cup won't make them feel any better and i don't think it is what Bob would have wanted.