• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Andy Roberts has a huge reputation among fast bowlers. What makes you think it’s him?
When we were asked to pick 50-40 Roberts was the first guy I thought of. I should have done a more thorough search as I only looked at bowlers with over say 200 test wickets which made me not include his fellow west indians Croft and Bishop.

Roberts has to be soon.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of McGrath or Reiffel may not have played had McDermott not been injured. Both were newbies at that time and McDermott was unquestionably Australia’s best fast bowler at that time. And as you said, Julian. Fleming was injured on that tour as well, not that I’m suggesting he was as good as either Bishop or McDermott.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say McDermott would have played over Reiffel. McGrath was a newbie but was still very good.

The one thing I'm sad about from that era was that McDermott's injuries basically forced him to retire young and we never really got to see a McGrath/ McDermott bowling partnership emerge.

Slifer

International Captain
I'd say McDermott would have played over Reiffel. McGrath was a newbie but was still very good.

The one thing I'm sad about from that era was that McDermott's injuries basically forced him to retire young and we never really got to see a McGrath/ McDermott bowling partnership emerge.
An even more delicious partnership could've been an older seasoned Bruce Reid and McGrath. Then a Reiffel or warne . Now that would've been some attack!!!

stephen

An even more delicious partnership could've been an older seasoned Bruce Reid and McGrath. Then a Reiffel or warne . Now that would've been some attack!!!
McGrath, McDermott, Reid and Warne would have been a devastating mid 90s attack.

stephen

If all did well together might just have been the greatest attack to have ever been fielded possibly
Almost certainly since the actual owner of that title is one of Marshall, Ambrose, Holding and Garner or McGrath, Clark, Lee and Warne. The only other possibility is a post- war Australian side. Did Miller, Davidson, Lindwall and Benaud ever play together?

The first attack is better in friendly conditions, the second more versatile. Reid, McGrath, McDermott and Warne would have been better than the second of those attacks.

trundler

England in the 50s had great bowling attacks too. Had great spin resources too so one could argue it was a more complete attack than that of the West Indies at their peak.

Trueman-Statham-Bedser-Laker, or something along those lines.

morgieb

England in the 50s had great bowling attacks too. Had great spin resources too so one could argue it was a more complete attack than that of the West Indies at their peak.

Trueman-Statham-Bedser-Laker, or something along those lines.
Problem with England was that for various reasons their best attacks would've rarely played. Though you still had about 6/7 borderline ATG's and a few other stars for good measure...

morgieb

There was a series in 1990/91 where the attacks were Marshall, Ambrose, Bishop and Walsh vs. Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Qadir. Nasty stuff even if some of those blokes were past their prime.

OverratedSanity

There was a series in 1990/91 where the attacks were Marshall, Ambrose, Bishop and Walsh vs. Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Qadir. Nasty stuff even if some of those blokes were past their prime.
This is the key and why we cant judge the strength of bowling attacks purely by the names involved.

trundler

This is the key and why we cant judge the strength of bowling attacks purely by the names involved.
Yeah Holding was certainly past it for much of the time his career overlapped with God-mode Marshall (which is basically all his career except for a few games early on). Guy didn't have the stamina in the mid 80s andv was basically past it. So yeah, the peaks of the West Indian greats never really coincided.

Last edited:

stephen

Yep, I was a bit out but knew that Marshall and Ambrose had played some matches with two other ATG bowlers (Walsh and Bishop). Roberts and Marshall overlapped with Holding and Garner (though I'm not sure all 4 played together).

Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Marshall played a number of matches.

This one is notable for having some ATG bowlers on both sides - Ambrose, Bishop, Walsh, Marshall vs Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Qadir:
This is probably the game with the largest collection of highest rated bowlers in history.
3rd Test, West Indies tour of Pakistan at Lahore, Dec 6-11 1990 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

trundler

This one was for Trueman, Statham, Laker and Bedsar.
Error of hindsight, hmmph. Bedser would've been 2 early for the other 3 I think. Trueman and Laker often did. Trueman-Statham-Laker-Lock certainly did though.