• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He’s averaged 70 odd for about five years. Whatever complications he’s making, he should keep doing it
And again displaying your over-sensitivity on this topic. The Cape Town incident was his doing. And so was the brain-fade. He can be nearly unstoppable if he does not let few other things get to his head, is what I meant. But go on, let everything seem like a post against Smith.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
However you seem to have no problem with Hutton’s strike rate in the late 30’s?
Yeah. I don't know.

I was impressed with how he broke Bradman's record while he was on the field and facing O'Reilly. Overcoming the war and the accident. Lindwall and Miller, Ramadhin and Valentine.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's a nice throwback post, as we await the next batsman:

No.70

Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka) 712

Quality Points: 651
Career Points: 61

Career/Runs: 1984-2002, 6361 (rank 40)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 41.65 (42.98) 38.77 (40.01) 50.38 (50.94) (rank 114)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1997-2001): 59.03 50.77 51.37 (rank 49)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 35.31 34.50 48.56 (rank 198)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 46.48 43.09 50.00 (rank 45)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol nice meltdown
It’s what Inevitably happens when HB has been posting for a while. It’s unfortunate but it generally builds up to this sort of thing

Anyway, DoGGO needs to put us all out of our misery by posting the next on the list. As I've said already, hopefully it's Tendulkar so we get put out of our misery and the teeth gnashing can begin in earnest.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
But doesn't it?

"The Majesty of this innings is beyond my command of English" Was on YouTube and the suggestion after watching highlights of Warner's innings was Sobers 254 vs Australia in '71. The above referenced comment was what the commentator said when he passed 250.

Hobbs vs Sutcliffe
Sobers vs Barrington
Tendulkar vs Kallis

All guys who played together or approximately in the same era where one is clearly seen as better despite having not dissimilar career numbers. It does matter.

Hobbs and Sutcliffe batted together and one was seen and known as the Master. The other was the no. 2. If your strike rate is in the late 30's to the low 40's it probably means you are not quite the batsman of your contemporary and in some cases, possibly can't change gears when or where needed.
Since I operate on more of a statistical basis than most (but not as much as Coronis and Logan) then I do rate all three of the slow-scorers higher than I probably should. Here we go with the comparisons:

Hobbs: Played pre-war and often threw away his innings right after the hundred in FC (FC/Test variation)
Sutcliffe: Used pad heaps before the rule change and was much better with Hobbs as his partner (FC/Test variation)

Sobers: I take other people words alongside his stats to rank him
Barrington: Test/FC difference more than say May; margin of error

Tendulkar: Rate him more than his contemporaries because of his longevity for the era, really hard to play when you aren't 22-36
Kallis: Can't take him down here, he may have been incredible but Tendulkar's longevity pushes him ahead, 6-year difference

I don't really use strike rates to compare them that much.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Since I operate on more of a statistical basis than most (but not as much as Coronis and Logan) then I do rate all three of the slow-scorers higher than I probably should. Here we go with the comparisons:

Hobbs: Played pre-war and often threw away his innings right after the hundred in FC (FC/Test variation)
Sutcliffe: Used pad heaps before the rule change and was much better with Hobbs as his partner (FC/Test variation)

Sobers: I take other people words alongside his stats to rank him
Barrington: Test/FC difference more than say May; margin of error

Tendulkar: Rate him more than his contemporaries because of his longevity for the era, really hard to play when you aren't 22-36
Kallis: Can't take him down here, he may have been incredible but Tendulkar's longevity pushes him ahead, 6-year difference

I don't really use strike rates to compare them that much.
Please don’t compare me to Logan.

Just will continue to harp on Sutcliffe for a sec, as he’s one of my favourite players, a reason for his FC stats being considerably lower than his test stats, he didn’t make many runs in first couple of years, and after his leg injury in 1935 that ended his test career, he was never the same batsman again, though played many more first class matches afterwards (also already being 41 at the time of that injury can’t have helped). Unsurprisingly Hobbs also averaged less when playing without him. Obviously great players make other great players even better...

Anyway I’ll say more on him when he actually comes up on the list.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Please don’t compare me to Logan.

Just will continue to harp on Sutcliffe for a sec, as he’s one of my favourite players, a reason for his FC stats being considerably lower than his test stats, he didn’t make many runs in first couple of years, and after his leg injury in 1935 that ended his test career, he was never the same batsman again, though played many more first class matches afterwards (also already being 41 at the time of that injury can’t have helped). Unsurprisingly Hobbs also averaged less when playing without him. Obviously great players make other great players even better...

Anyway I’ll say more on him when he actually comes up.
Wasn't comparing you to him; you use a completely different method to him. Yeah Hobbs did but Hobbs helped Sutcliffe more than Sutcliffe helped Hobbs, and in FC Hobbs would often throw his wicket away right after a century to give others a turn, which wouldn't happen at the higher level with Sutcliffe.

Anyhow, I'll be quiet now as well until Sutcliffe's comes up.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, can give you a good idea of a batsman's survivability. In isolation it definitely has more value than strike rate as a statistic imo. I should start a petition for stats sites to include this.
smiths would be ridiculous. despite the averages, he's the most patient **** to wagnerball i've seen.

watlings would be low key ridiculous too (i was thinking when he was batting yesterday that even when he doesn't score runs he takes ****ing ages to go away), but his strike rate suffers from it whereas smith catches up really well after an attritional period.