• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Flem274*

123/5
Crowe had a terrible start and was cut down by his knee early so depending on how things are weighted i could see how he would be penalised.

A peak analysis adjusted for era would love him given how bowler happy cricket was during his best years.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Crowe had a terrible start and was cut down by his knee early so depending on how things are weighted i could see how he would be penalised.

A peak analysis adjusted for era would love him given how bowler happy cricket was during his best years.
You say that, but here is where I think the myth lies with Crowe and other batsmen of that era. In test matches in which Crowe played, the RPW was 32.73, which is slightly above the RPW across the entire history of test cricket.

And like I mentioned previously, Crowe made hay against some weak attacks or when batting in friendly conditions.

But he was a very classy batsman and I'm also disappointed he is not rated higher.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At the end of the day he was a middle order bat averaging 45 in tests

I assume only a handful of blokes averaging lower will place significantly higher. De Silva, Greenidge, Hill and Trumper are some

I know Crowe is unanimously considered to be beautiful to watch and far better than his average, but it's hard to quantify those things

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.70

Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka) 712

Quality Points: 651
Career Points: 61

Career/Runs: 1984-2002, 6361 (rank 40)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 41.65 (42.98) 38.77 (40.01) 50.38 (50.94) (rank 114)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1997-2001): 59.03 50.77 51.37 (rank 49)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 35.31 34.50 48.56 (rank 198)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 46.48 43.09 50.00 (rank 45)

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I dont think samaraweera was as good as crowe, he had some excellent performances towards the end of his career which I think are a little underappreciated. He scored 2 tons on a tour of SA, which is an extremely rare feat for a subcontinental batsman.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Who would you want in your team, Martin Crowe or Justin Langer?

Easy choice to pick Crowe.
That depends on the rest of your batting lineup tbh. If you had absolute spuds, you’d take Crowe but if you already had a decent ‘average’ batting lineup, its harder to find an opener close to Langer’s output than to find a middle order bat close to Crowe’s output.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Crowe was the better batsman, Langer had the better career. Australia's period at the very top coincided with his resurgence as an opener.

Bolo.

While I dont think samaraweera was as good as crowe, he had some excellent performances towards the end of his career which I think are a little underappreciated. He scored 2 tons on a tour of SA, which is an extremely rare feat for a subcontinental batsman.
A few performances nothwithstanding, he was a htb in an era when there were plenty of multi condition players. Would probably get a bit more respect if he was a contemporary of Rohit, Warner etc - we probably wouldnt even notice him for being poor away these days, because its the new normal.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.69

Ritchie Richardson (West Indies) 712

Quality Points: 662
Career Points: 50

Career/Runs: 1983-1995, 5949 (rank 85)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 43.91 (44.39) 40.30 (40.75) 47.01 (47.70) (rank 77)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1988-1992): 54.30 49.96 48.16 (rank 71)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 38.82 35.75 45.44 (rank 137)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 49.86 45.82 49.07 (rank 28)

stephen

Loved watching him bat. So exaggerated, particularly his cover drive. One of my strongest memories of the early 90s Windies was his batting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember him for staying not out in that heartbreaking loss in WC '96. Cracked the umpire in the head with a full blooded sweep shot that could have gone for four..

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.68

Victor Trumper (Australia) 713

Quality Points: 677
Career Points: 36

Career/Runs: 1899-1912, 3163 (rank 177)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 45.29 (39.05) 41.22 (35.54) 64.53 (66.96) (rank 47)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1902-1911): 55.64 48.96 68.81 (rank 56)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 36.18 32.56 64.28 (rank 155)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 37.64 35.60 63.13 (rank 130)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Expecting Clem Hill next

Nearly identical total test runs and average against near identical bowling line ups and conditions (they played 90% of their tests together)

h_hurricane

I would love to see Hill rated above Trumper. Always rated him as much as Victor and felt he was really under-rated.