• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Logan

U19 Captain
Considering the circumstances, it is still very good.

An opener averaging 45 in the late 80s for a weak team is great IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I sometimes felt Sanga's retirement was rather untimely for that SL side and he could have played a bit more to help them through the transition but really, retirement is such a personal decision, its absolutely stupid to term anyone's decision to retire (or to play on) as selfish. Unless you are the person themselves, you never know what they felt like. If someone played on well past their prime and kept better players out, that is the selectors' mistake, not the players'.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Absolutely no way is Tendulkar going to be higher than Hammond IMO. Or Ponting higher than Barrington. Gavaskar/Waugh being higher than Chanders I don't think will happen. Dravid higher than Weekes probs not either. I'll go ABDV next, then Pollock, then Dravid.
What's your top 25 order?

ataraxia

International Coach
I don't have a top 25; my top 10 prediction is:

Bradman
Smith
Hobbs
Sobers
Hammond
Hutton
Barrington
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Kallis

Or something like that.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Away stats and quality oppo right up there.

DoG and I have discussed this privately, and he is aware of the consequences should Border not receive a ranking I consider appropriate :ph34r:
May be DoG will redo the whole exercise if Border doesn't finish in his rightful 2nd spot behind Bradman:laugh:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
DoG has saved this thread from going into meltdown mode by placing him 20 places higher than where he is, whenever he comes up..

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is this controversial? If its selfish that a player refuses to retire because he still thinks he can contribute, it absolutely is selfish to retire knowing you still have a lot more to contribute to the team but refuse to do so.

Yes. I can also think of several players retiring at a point where I thought they were actively hurting the team by refusing to play on a few more years.Ftr, I dont actually think either are inherently selfish, just that both can be.
I just think it's denying the next generation of players opportunities

It's certainly not as selfless as you think

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
not sure about TOP 100 , but this is my TOP 10

1. Don Bradman
2. Viv Richards
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. A.B. Devilliers
5.Brian Lara
6.Sunil Gavaskar
7.Greg Chappel
8.Ricky Ponting
9.Jaques Kallis
10.Virat Kohli

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion mate, but are you seriously suggesting AB de Villiers is a better test batsman than Gary Sobers, Len Hutton or Steve Smith, to name but three? Or is this more a favourites sort of list (which is cool and all, just trying to find out).

srbhkshk

International Captain
not sure about TOP 100 , but this is my TOP 10

1. Don Bradman
2. Viv Richards
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. A.B. Devilliers
5.Brian Lara
6.Sunil Gavaskar
7.Greg Chappel
8.Ricky Ponting
9.Jaques Kallis
10.Virat Kohli
How do Kohli and De Villiers get in this but Smith doesn't? Unless it's a favorite Top 10.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I don't have a top 25; my top 10 prediction is:

Bradman
Smith
Hobbs
Sobers
Hammond
Hutton
Barrington
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Kallis

Or something like that.
Top 10 prediction:

1. Bradman
2. Smith
3. Hobbs
4. Sobers
5. Hutton
6. Hammond
7. Barrington
8. Tendulkar
9. Sangakkara
10. Ponting

Hayden will also feature too high, alongside Sehwag around 15.
Couple changes since earlier prediction, any reasons?