• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Retiring in your prime is more selfish than playing on when you're past it.
Generally, but the former is pretty rare, and I can think of circumstanes where they're so past it that it goes beyond "well they're still better than the oppo" to "actively hurting their team by playing on".

OverratedSanity

Imagine thinking this
Why is this controversial? If its selfish that a player refuses to retire because he still thinks he can contribute, it absolutely is selfish to retire knowing you still have a lot more to contribute to the team but refuse to do so.

Generally, but the former is pretty rare, and I can think of circumstanes where they're so past it that it goes beyond "well they're still better than the oppo" to "actively hurting their team by playing on".
Yes. I can also think of several players retiring at a point where I thought they were actively hurting the team by refusing to play on a few more years.Ftr, I dont actually think either are inherently selfish, just that both can be.

Last edited:

morgieb

Yes. I can also think of several players retiring at a point where I thought they were actively hurting the team by refusing to play on a few more years.
Hmmm....there's de Villiers, probably Sanga, and Hussey. Can't think of many else in the modern times. Arguably Cook but his median average would've had to be terrible for the last 18 months of his Test career.

Though granted I think the only example of the latter is the buffoon.

Logan

U19 Captain
Gavaskar is the only Indian cricketer who retired at the time. When he retired, Indian fans were wondering why did he retire so soon? His last Test innings was 96 on a minefield of pitch in Bangalore. His last innings was a glorious 188 against the MCC attack that had Marshall and Hadlee in it’s ranks.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Gavaskar is the only Indian cricketer who retired at the time. When he retired, Indian fans were wondering why did he retire so soon? His last Test innings was 96 on a minefield of pitch in Bangalore. His last innings was a glorious 188 against the MCC attack that had Marshall and Hadlee in it’s ranks.
'Gavaskar retiring in his prime' has been blown out of proportion. He averaged 45 in 26 tests after his 35th birthday. For sure very good but not legendary. Even in his last series, he averaged only 34 before that epic 96.

Great last innings does not mean someone is retiring in his prime

srbhkshk

International Captain
'Gavaskar retiring in his prime' has been blown out of proportion. He averaged 45 in 26 tests after his 35th birthday. For sure very good but not legendary. Even in his last series, he averaged only 34 before that epic 96.

Great last innings does not mean someone is retiring in his prime
45 is great for an opener though - would easily deserve a place in any India side of any time.

h_hurricane

45 is great for an opener though - would easily deserve a place in any India side of any time.
That is undoubtedly very good and he is our best opener ever but hardly prime Gavaskar isn't it ? A good 10% drop from his overall career, neither did he face a great bowling attack which he beasted in his real prime.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
These stats do still certainly speak to someone who would've added to the side if he played on tbf. Maybe not "prime", but almost no-one actually retires in their "prime"; it's just an expression.

The Battlers Prince

I feel that people retire for reasons that they just don’t want to play anymore, are injured or don’t want to be away from home, or just anything that’s totally up to them.

So I guess on the flipside, who’s retired at the right time?