• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen: 50-26

uvelocity

International Coach
dougie walters the cricketer i wish i was old enough to have witnessed. or maybe that he was younger.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see Dougie so high. He was probably the most popular cricketer in Australia for much of his career, but his reputation as a character and beer-drinking champion has actually in retrospect tended to overshadow what an outstanding batsman he was.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So 40 to go. Trying to account for who has already been and gone - and those it now looks like will miss out completely - I've written down who I think will be in the top 40, interested to see how close I get.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Great stuff, Sean.

I'm pleased people are taking such an interest in this.

Any guesses on who will be in the 35-40 bracket?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff, Sean.

Ha ha, I haven’t predicted the order (though I could take a stab at number 1!), so I probably shouldn't try to call who I think will be 35-40 because if I'm right (highly unlikely) it will spoil the surprise, and if I'm wrong (almost certain) I'll look like a knob.

There are two or three names in my 40 though who I would never have predicted to be so high, but given who has already been and gone I figure they must be there. So I reckon they might be up very shortly...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great stuff, Sean.

Without writing it down and working it out properly, my guess would be:

- Adam Gilchrist
- Andy Flower
- Inzamam Ul-Haq
- Clive Lloyd
- Peter May

Also, good idea DoG about putting a cap on career points.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mahela!

Only 5 of his 6 great innings are listed - could the last one be his 170 odd against us last year? Frigging superb innings it was nonetheless.

Without writing it down and working it out properly, my guess would be:

- Adam Gilchrist
- Andy Flower
- Inzamam Ul-Haq
- Clive Lloyd
- Peter May

Also, good idea DoG about putting a cap on career points.
Hayden will get in before a few of those?

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'll guess Denis Compton, Shiv Chanderpaul, Mohammed Yousuf, Rohan Kanhai and Warwick Armstrong as among the next lot but I expect NUFAN's is closer

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good choices Howe. I nearly said Chanderpaul but in the end decided that he is going to be rated above Inzy. I totally forgot about his teammate MoYo though and think he will be in the next 5 now for sure. For some reason I thought that Kanhai had already been chosen, but apparently not. I think Armstrong is going to miss out and I would hope that Compton is slightly above 35th. No real idea about Hayden, his record is pretty impressive though so low 30s maybe?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Has to be IMO. He's one of the blokes I was referring to that I wouldn't ever have expected to see this high, but he's not appeared on the list yet and there's no way he would have missed out completely.

Days of Grace

International Captain
The captain of my alltime XI:

40. Sir Frank Worrell (West Indies) (1948-1963)

Career Average: 49.48
Adjusted career average: 49.60
Adjusted away average: 48.43
Adjusted top-opposition average: 45.57
Top Tier centuries: 3
Second tier centuries: 1
Third tier centuries: 4
Significant innings: 21
Significant innings per match: 0.41

Great innings: 2
3rd Test: England v West Indies at Nottingham, Jul 20-25, 1950 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.15
3rd Test: England v West Indies at Nottingham, Jul 4-9, 1957 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 14.37

Innings worth average: 3.16

25 Test peak adjusted average: 55.99 (1948-1955)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 50.78 (1948-1963)

Quality Points: 563
Career Points: 78
Peak Points: 131
TOTAL POINTS: 772

39. Andy Flower (Zimbabwe) (1992-2002)

Career Average: 51.55
Adjusted career average: 51.45
Adjusted away average: 51.37
Adjusted top-opposition average: 50.31
Top Tier centuries: 2
Second tier centuries: 6
Third tier centuries: 3
Significant innings: 15
Significant innings per match: 0.24

Great innings: 4
2nd Test: Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka at Harare, Nov 26-30, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.75
2nd Test: India v Zimbabwe at Nagpur, Nov 25-29, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 15.14
1st Test: Zimbabwe v South Africa at Harare, Sep 7-11, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo 12.96 & 16.76

Innings worth average: 3.81 (rank 8)

25 Test peak adjusted average: 73.54 (rank 6) (1998-2001)
50 Test peak adjusted average: 57.26 (1993-2001)

Quality Points: 577
Career Points: 65
Peak Points: 132
TOTAL POINTS: 774

Flower is one of only 10 batsmen to have all their adjusted averages (overall, away and top opposition) above 50, having played at least 10 matches in each category.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Flower's the first case of two great innings in a match? What a player.

I'm struggling a little to think of a stat category he's lower than Gilly, who is presumably up soon - perhaps 50-Test peak.