• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does cricket need a strong West Indies?

Shady Slim

International Coach
cricket does not need a strong west indies in the purest sense of the word need

however it is unequivocal that cricket very very very very much wants a strong west indies, and would very much rather that than a strong ireland, say, for reasons that GotSpin elaborated on on the first page. the history of the windies etc and the narrative that would come with their returning to test glory would be massive not only for cricket in the windies but like he said, for matches in australia against the windies, and i am sure for other countries too. objectively, it is a boon for the game for people to be better. add in the history of the windies and it’s a slam dunk

Slifer

International Captain
Listen, I know a lot of people on here don't particularly care for wi cricket but some of us do. If wi could be even a little competitive especially away, that would be huge. Here's why. Just look at the stadiums in series between wi and Australia in the 90s for example, and compare that to now. Bk then, wi played longer series and stadiums were fuller. Look at the wi tour of India in 94 when miraculously, they drew 1-1 , again stadiums were full to the brim. Ditto yours to England etc. And those wi teams werent all that strong but they weren't push overs either. Imo a more competitive wi in particular, would mean a return to longer series vs England etc and fuller stadiums (more money). Wi are unique, because u have Asian teams ( SL, IND, PAK, BAN), the European teams (SENA), and then the WI in its own little world. Cricket does not NEED a strong wi team but a competitive one wouldnt hurt and might even help economically.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A strong WI would be great. There are no losers in cricket when more teams are vibrant and competitive!

smash84

The Tiger King
Listen, I know a lot of people on here don't particularly care for wi cricket but some of us do. If wi could be even a little competitive especially away, that would be huge. Here's why. Just look at the stadiums in series between wi and Australia in the 90s for example, and compare that to now. Bk then, wi played longer series and stadiums were fuller. Look at the wi tour of India in 94 when miraculously, they drew 1-1 , again stadiums were full to the brim. Ditto yours to England etc. And those wi teams werent all that strong but they weren't push overs either. Imo a more competitive wi in particular, would mean a return to longer series vs England etc and fuller stadiums (more money). Wi are unique, because u have Asian teams ( SL, IND, PAK, BAN), the European teams (ANUS), and then the WI in its own little world. Cricket does not NEED a strong wi team but a competitive one wouldnt hurt and might even help economically.
ftfy

Cow

Banned
I wouldn't say test cricket needs a strong wi but there's no doubt in my mind that they'd be a lot more people in stadiums in Australia and England if the frank worrell and wisden series were more competitive. Fact!!
The West Indies mystique of the 80s has never been replicated.

I guess the Aussies had a team of similar greatness in the late 90s/early 00s but the likes of Justin Langer, Andy Bichel and Damien Martyn bring the overall quality down.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those 3 weren't 'worse' than Harper, Gomes and Logie though. All decent players but a crap post.