• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does cricket need a strong West Indies?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is weird how they just threw their lot in with pyjama ****e. Even their fans don't give a **** about tests now. All that success and history and it didn't count for anything really.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It is weird how they just threw their lot in with pyjama ****e. Even their fans don't give a **** about tests now. All that success and history and it didn't count for anything really.
If anything it makes sense for casual cricket fans to support the team in the format they are successful in.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
If anything it makes sense for casual cricket fans to support the team in the format they are successful in.
I think, and I doubt this myself but for case of argument, if England win the world cup the Ashes and tests will still reign supreme - I suspect that was true when Australia won their world cups.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tests don't need a strong Windies. But having them be strong in T20s is good for leagues across the world and for the financial health of the sport.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The West Indies being strong is why cricket in the 90s was so good. Australia would host the West Indies, the Ashes, Pakistan and South Africa who were all competitive during the 90s.

It made for great tests every summer.
Yeah but that was down to the opposition touring, whoever that might have been, being strong, not because the WI were strong per se.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can you actually read the rest of my post? I'm specifically referring to Australia and that a strong West Indies touring here would be a far greater draw card than Pakistan
What exactly are you basing this on?

Presumably the fact that Australians don't like people with sub-continental heritage, as shown by the Moeen thread.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I keep hearing time and time again that the West Indies decline has been such a shame and that in order for test cricket to flourish, it needs a strong West Indies team. I hear it in particular from Ian Chappell who must have faced a few decent West Indies quicks.

I don't understand why cricket is of the opinion that it is poorer when the West Indies is poorer. True they brought a romance and style to the game never seen before, but for one side to stop hammering allcomers year in year out, doesn't that make things more competitive? A level playing field? I'm not sure I want to go back to the days when one team was hammering everyone, and find the top four battles of the recent years where the number one spot has swung from one team to the other far more enjoyable. Why is it never a shame that Zimbabwe is so weak? Why didn't cricket mind when England were getting stuffed year in year out home and away in the nineties?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I keep hearing time and time again that the West Indies decline has been such a shame and that in order for test cricket to flourish, it needs a strong West Indies team. I hear it in particular from Ian Chappell who must have faced a few decent West Indies quicks.

I don't understand why cricket is of the opinion that it is poorer when the West Indies is poorer. True they brought a romance and style to the game never seen before, but for one side to stop hammering allcomers year in year out, doesn't that make things more competitive? A level playing field? I'm not sure I want to go back to the days when one team was hammering everyone, and find the top four battles of the recent years where the number one spot has swung from one team to the other far more enjoyable. Why is it never a shame that Zimbabwe is so weak? Why didn't cricket mind when England were getting stuffed year in year out home and away in the nineties?
Racism imo.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some of my strongest cricketing memories as a kid were of the West Indies touring. Here were this group of men who looked nothing like us and they came and intimidated and slaughtered us in style. Ambrose in particular was a monster of a man. Larger than life in many ways.

I knew nothing about their culture or history but I respected them and their abilities. Every time they toured was a cause for celebration. Were we going to finally beat them this time?

To see what they have become in tests is sad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Some of my strongest cricketing memories as a kid were of the West Indies touring. Here were this group of men who looked nothing like us and they came and intimidated and slaughtered us in style. Ambrose in particular was a monster of a man. Larger than life in many ways.

I knew nothing about their culture or history but I respected them and their abilities. Every time they toured was a cause for celebration. Were we going to finally beat them this time?

To see what they have become in tests is sad.
:naughty:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think, and I doubt this myself but for case of argument, if England win the world cup the Ashes and tests will still reign supreme - I suspect that was true when Australia won their world cups.
Except the West Indies have been losing for almost a generation in tests.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket needs stronger associates, doesn't matter which part of the world they come from.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Chee-bai means vag in Hokkien
Haha I remember learning this from a Malaysian friend at Uni.

It was the only thing he ever really said apart from talking about all the 24hr "restorans" and curry houses in KL.

"You can get a beef bowl for just treeee ringit maaaaaaan".

WAG

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In hindi, Chee can mean ****/******/an exclamation of disgust. I feel all of that is perfectly fitting for the city.