• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Bangladesh should play Tests??

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah that's what I meant - do you feel they shouldn't be termed such?
Yes, the U19 stuff is not even FC, but the match between Aust and the ROW is the biggest joke of them all:@

In fact I may start a thread about what are the ICC's biggest stuff ups, or sell outs?

1. ROW having Test status
2. Changing the Pakistan match to a draw
3. Too many to choose from:wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Virtually pointless IMO, I$C$C have made an error a day for the last decade or so, since I've been taking notice - and probably the same for the previous 5 (or was it 9?) years before that when I wasn't.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have minded the Aus-vs-ROW game being a First-Class match, but think under19 stuff should be separate and certainly not First-Class or List-A-OD.

archie mac

International Coach
Virtually pointless IMO, I$C$C have made an error a day for the last decade or so, since I've been taking notice - and probably the same for the previous 5 (or was it 9?) years before that when I wasn't.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have minded the Aus-vs-ROW game being a First-Class match, but think under19 stuff should be separate and certainly not First-Class or List-A-OD.
Well maybe not that bad:laugh: But the biggest the three worst would be interesting:)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
They should be playing tests against the second XIs of Top 5 teams imho.
Something like that but not quite there.

They're getting a lot better at home they really should have never been given Test status at that stage of their development. To stop now would only harm cricket there though.
AWTA

Those "tests" can be classified as FC games.
Getting warmer....

Bangladesh don't and never have merited Test status. It does no-one any good - Bangladesh gain nothing out of being thrashed, no-one gains anything out of thrashing them, and it devalues Test cricket. Only twice before has Test cricket had such a weak team - South Africa 1888/89-1902/03 and New Zealand 1928/29-1959. Neither of these sides played anywhere near as often as Bangladesh have and thus devalued the game far less. However, Test cricket would be much best if all games involving these sides were retrospectively downgraded from Test status.

Bangladesh would and always have been much best-served playing domestic cricket in strong domestic comps and\or A-teams. In First-Class but not Test classed matches.
Almost there but not quite getting that last bit down

Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
Every year the ICC Intercontinental Trophy should determine the Test nation for the calander year.

It would lead to professional squads at the Associate level, raise their standard, and force any team that gets Test cricket to earn it on merit but not on a permenant basis.

So there would be the top 8 teams and then

Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Ireland
Scotland
Namibia

The bottom team would get religated and teams like Bermuda, UAE, Netherlands, Denmark, Canada etc would compete to get into the top division.
Bingo. Bangladesh should be playing FC matches against teams it can compete against in such a competition until such a time one of them proves that they are significantly better than the rest at which point they should then use this as justification to have a go at replacing whoever is the weakest top tier test team at the time. And what is this malarkey of deciding on field issues like test status in boardrooms where the applicants do not even have a say?

And Zimbabwe have banned themselves for playing Tests.

You really can't see the point in discussing this? You have no imagination?
There is a lot of missing dough the ZCU has to account for and for that alone they should have been thrown out in the cold ages ago! :ranting:

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The problem with Goughy's idea is that I'd back Bangladesh and a strong (by their standards) Zimbabwe to regularly thrash those in the Intercontinental Cup.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Being a Bangladeshi Supporter, I think Home Tests and the only Away Tests we should play is in Sub-Continent and in the West Indies. Would be a good solution

If you plan to feed us to South Africa, England or Australia than give us 3-5 real FC matches which is about 5-6 weeks of of preparation to get used to the conditions, take the England tour a few years back they got better as they got more matches in.

In our Last Home Tests we've Pushed Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka
Haha what on earth???

Being a South African fan, I think in order for us to win every match we should only play Test cricket against Bangladesh, and then just be given the odd FC game against Australia..

In answer to the question, no, there is no way they should ever have been promoted in the first place, although they are a worthy ODI team, I don't see them having the cricketing infrastructure in place to produce any decent test class batsmen.. And they don't have the mentality to play test cricket either.. Before those things change, and they can change, I don't see why they should continue to be a burden on the fixture calendar.. And judging by that post, it looks like some attitudes away from the team could do with changing too..

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with Goughy's idea is that I'd back Bangladesh and a strong (by their standards) Zimbabwe to regularly thrash those in the Intercontinental Cup.
As far as i know the only instances where a Bangladeshi side played an associate side in the longer form was when Bagladesh A toured kenya in the lat 1990s and they got positively thrashed. Aside from that in ODIs Bangladesh only just won their first series against Kenya in 2006/7 and their other two series against Scotland and Ireland were at home where it seems the agreement is they are far stronger than when they tour.

Zimbabwe on the other hand had an A side with the likes of Heath Streak and Hamilton Masakadza thrashed twice the one time they hosted an played an associate side in FC cricket.

So as far as that we can only make judgements from speculation and opinion.

(Unless I have missed other series)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The BCCI needs Bangladesh as a vote in the ICC, but they still balk at inviting them over for a test series in India. Says it all really. Even the BCCI doesn't rate Bangladesh as a test nation.

Precambrian

Banned
The BCCI needs Bangladesh as a vote in the ICC, but they still balk at inviting them over for a test series in India. Says it all really. Even the BCCI doesn't rate Bangladesh as a test nation.
BCCI looks at every deal whether it has the possibility of generating money, or if not, a vote. Thats all they care.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Is cricket heading the Formula One way? Neither establishment is kind to its minnows...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is cricket heading the Formula One way? Neither establishment is kind to its minnows...
Hmm, the unreasonable promotion of Bangladesh and the fact that the ICC still sees life in Zimbabwe where there is none suggests that they are too kind to their minnows.. Although I'd like to see teams like Ireland and Namibia given a bit more exposure

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dunno. Bangladesh's continous thrashings aren't helping, but they appear to be too good for the Intercontinential Cup.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Frankly, I'm just happy to have another thread start with the obligatory "laugh" smiley.

Really makes my ****ing day. Not.