• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do swing bowlers benifit from dry pitches?

Sprinter

Banned
I was watching the highlights of the 4th test between Australia and India and Wasim Akram was commentating about how reverse swing should be getting aid from the Adelaide pitch since its dry. It actually makes sense since swing bowling is a lot like spin bowling.

So I was wondering how people always talk about disadvantages of fast bowling in SC pitches and never bring this up. If your a swing bowler shouldn't dry and flat pitches of the SC actually give you assistance?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Erm...how exactly does a pitch help with swing. A dry pitch helps for reverse swing because it roughens up the ball. But the actual swing is reliant upon weather conditions and nothing to do with the pitch. Cloud cover, cold air etc will help with swing, and you don't get that in the Sub continent.

hazsa19

International Regular
Erm...how exactly does a pitch help with swing. A dry pitch helps for reverse swing because it roughens up the ball. But the actual swing is reliant upon weather conditions and nothing to do with the pitch. Cloud cover, cold air etc will help with swing, and you don't get that in the Sub continent.
It seems to swing more in the UK when it's warm and muggy, but tbh I don't think anoyone has a ****ing clue about reverse swing.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Swing has nothing to do with the pitch. What Wasim means is that its easier to get a scuffed up ball, which is required for reverse. Swing happens through the air, seam happens of the pitch.

However, conventional swing bowlers obviously suffer since they need to keep the ball as new as possible.

So it evens out.

Last edited:

Sprinter

Banned
Swing has nothing to do with the pitch. What Wasim means is that its easier to get a scuffed up ball, which is required for reverse. Swing happens through the air, seam happens of the pitch.

However, conventional swing bowlers obviously suffer since they need to keep the ball as new as possible.

So it evens out.
Definitely remember him saying that dry pitches should help reverse swing when Zaheer was bowling.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
The Indian innings lasted long enough for reverse swing?

And yeah it deffo helped during the Australian batting period. Well it might have done if any of the bowlers had any idea of how to use it.

NasserFan207

I thought you lost a bet with Ganesh. What did you bet on and how come you haven't changed your avatar?
Yeah I did. Waiting for him to pm me the AV. :p

Definitely remember him saying that dry pitches should help reverse swing when Zaheer was bowling
Well yeah, like I said in my post a dry pitch enables a ball to become roughed up quicker, which you need for reverse swing (well technically, you need one side rough, but it depends on how skill-full the bowler is for the most part). That said, its not like spin. The swing happens through the air.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

So it evens out.
awta

TumTum

Banned
but tbh I don't think anoyone has a ****ing clue about reverse swing.
It has to do with the ball condition, less outside factors effect it like it does for conventional swing, although the ball condition is effected by these outside factors.

So if you get a tampered ball, it will reverse in any conditions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pitch conditions does affect swing, with some grass cover it will keep the ball swinging conventional for longer because the ball stays in much better condition.

Dry, grassless pitches take the shine out of the ball, and allow reverse swing.

Don't think that quicks benefit (relatively) from dry pitches, as they're taken out of the game for longer periods on those sorts of pitches, and have a shorter time where they are potent.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah on roads the quicks are taken out of the game much earlier. They only come back for a few overs again when the ball is reversing and that too dies out again pretty soon

Noble One

A green wicket produces more moisture in the air above the wicket, and hence impacts the atmospheric pressures required to swing the ball.

It helps explain why the ball will often swing after passing the batsman (I.e traveling above the infield between stumps and the wicketkeeper).

I might be wrong with the above, but I recall reading something similar from The Art of Cricket.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A green wicket produces more moisture in the air above the wicket, and hence impacts the atmospheric pressures required to swing the ball.

It helps explain why the ball will often swing after passing the batsman (I.e traveling above the infield between stumps and the wicketkeeper).

I might be wrong with the above, but I recall reading something similar from The Art of Cricket.
Yes this is correct in as much as it's a popular theory going around. Must say I subscribe to it also.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
But on these dry pitches Wasim, Imran, Waqar, Vaas and Kapil made that ball to boomerang through the air, And they relied on the straight line and hitting pads than getting nicks behind, aided by the low bounce of the surface. So if you were hit on the pads by above, it's pretty sure that you are plumb.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yes this is correct in as much as it's a popular theory going around. Must say I subscribe to it also.
ftr, I remember posting on this a little while back:

It does that all over the world, and the reason it does that is because the green grass of the field creates a cooler air temperature above it which makes it more conducive to swing.

Noble One

Good call Benchmark. It's funny how so little is known about swing bowling. A little amusing that anyone can claim that pitch conditions have no impact on swing.