• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do SC Pacers Deserve More Credit For Home Performances?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think SC pacers do get credit for it on here though, as they should. It's always in the discussion when it comes to those guys. It probably should be balanced a little bit by them growing up in those conditions and being used to them, otherwise you'd just expect them to turn up in non-SC conditions, roll their arms over and dominate. Which they didn't always do. Players being a product of their environments applies to bolwers as much as batsmen I suppose - Pakistan blokes developed into great reverse bowlers as there's nothing in the deck. They grow up in SA/ England they'd still be guns but probably at orthodox swing or seam movement instead.

Burgey

I think your memory might be a bit foggy since Pakistan managed to draw test series in 76 and 79.
I was in that instance primarily referring to the Indian side. The same applied to the 79 Pakistan side though re the players missing. FMD that was a wild series that one.

Socerer 01

International Captain
it does apply to Shami, ****ing gun bowling stump to stump in India but looks terrible in England yet gets picked because he “threatens” the batsmen with his shape

Slifer

International Captain
I have noticed in our conversations a subtle bias against giving SC pacers full due for their home records.

McGrath and Steyn are given points for succeeding in flat bat eras, yet Imran and Wasim not as much for excelling on pancake wickets which have a bigger portion of their career.

Kapil comes off at a disadvantage against Botham on bowling stakes yet averages less than him on less supportive home wickets.

Someone like Shami has been able to excel at home while foreign pacers like Rabada struggle.

How can SC pacers be given proper due?
To your opening question, no and here's why. That's their home conditions and great bowlers learn to adapt and make the best of their conditions regardless. And if you go around giving SC bowlers credit for I assume doing well in less favorable home conditions, my logical deduction is that SENA +W are more conducive to pace relatively speaking. So then, do we give spinners from those SENAW more credit for doing well in less favorable conditions at home?? Do we give pacemen from SENAW more credit when they perform in Asia. What about Asian pacemen who underperform in presumably more favorable conditions outside Asia. Should we downgrade them even more??

And wickets in countries outside Asia have never been uniform regardless of era and don't all favor pace. Australian wickets have been flat as you've attested to in your rants about Steve Smith, yet Australian pace bowlers have excelled. Other times they've been prepared to be spicy. In the 90s 2 of the wickets in the WI were generally spicy, one uneven bounce and the others flat. In the 2000s they were all generally flat and slow (except for a few occasions). Now with the emergence of some talent they're generally spicy again.

And we haven't even touched on the batsmen. Maybe give South Africans bonus points and downgrade Asian batsmen? Opening an unnecessary can of worms imo.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Of greater relevance, was it a coincidence that this thread was started just as Imran is up for the 7th of 8th spot in the poll?

Dudeeee....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To your opening question, no and here's why. That's their home conditions and great bowlers learn to adapt and make the best of their conditions regardless. And if you go around giving SC bowlers credit for I assume doing well in less favorable home conditions, my logical deduction is that SENA +W are more conducive to pace relatively speaking. So then, do we give spinners from those SENAW more credit for doing well in less favorable conditions at home?? Do we give pacemen from SENAW more credit when they perform in Asia. What about Asian pacemen who underperform in presumably more favorable conditions outside Asia. Should we downgrade them even more??

And wickets in countries outside Asia have never been uniform regardless of era and don't all favor pace. Australian wickets have been flat as you've attested to in your rants about Steve Smith, yet Australian pace bowlers have excelled. Other times they've been prepared to be spicy. In the 90s 2 of the wickets in the WI were generally spicy, one uneven bounce and the others flat. In the 2000s they were all generally flat and slow (except for a few occasions). Now with the emergence of some talent they're generally spicy again.

And we haven't even touched on the batsmen. Maybe give South Africans bonus points and downgrade Asian batsmen? Opening an unnecessary can of worms imo.
Brilliant

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Look at their away records. If they are better away, then yes. If they are better at home, then there is some specific skill that works in their home*. You would expect them to have it, having learned cricket there. Not necessarily present for visitors.

I'm not going to fully equivocate a SC home record with something like RSA, where just about any differing type of pace skill at all works, and even iffy bowlers can be tough to bat against, but you get the picture.

*or visitors just have no idea how to bat there.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Just highlighting a few points here.

Can't have it both ways

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes we give those SENAW spinners extra credit, at least I do. And SENAW pacers credit for performing in SC. And downgrade SC pacers failing in SENA. All of that happens.

So pitches aren't uniform doesn't mean that pitches in SC are generally better for pacers.

Lol yes that happens, thats the entire argument for upgrading Kallis.

OverratedSanity

SA batsmen do bonus points though. @kyear2 rates kallis highly and selects Graeme Smith over Gavaskar and Hutton (I think) sometimes because of his difficult home pitches. I dont think anyone says they should just "learn to adapt" and dont take into account that its tough going.

subshakerz

International Coach
Look at their away records. If they are better away, then yes. If they are better at home, then there is some specific skill that works in their home*. You would expect them to have it, having learned cricket there. Not necessarily present for visitors.

I'm not going to fully equivocate a SC home record with something like RSA, where just about any differing type of pace skill at all works, and even iffy bowlers can be tough to bat against, but you get the picture.

*or visitors just have no idea how to bat there.
I don't see how their away performance makes any difference. If conditions are tougher at home, then them adapting or suffering for it is independent of that fact and they deserve extra credit regardless.

subshakerz

International Coach
A SA or Eng seamer averaging 27 at home is par for the course. A SC seamer averaging 27 at home is immediately one of the more valuable pacers in the country's history. I don't see how it is comparable yet we effectively treat it roughly as the same.