• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do SC Pacers Deserve More Credit For Home Performances?

subshakerz

International Coach
I have noticed in our conversations a subtle bias against giving SC pacers full due for their home records.

McGrath and Steyn are given points for succeeding in flat bat eras, yet Imran and Wasim not as much for excelling on pancake wickets which have a bigger portion of their career.

Kapil comes off at a disadvantage against Botham on bowling stakes yet averages less than him on less supportive home wickets.

Someone like Shami has been able to excel at home while foreign pacers like Rabada struggle.

How can SC pacers be given proper due?

Socerer 01

International Captain
but in all seriousness its partly because all narrative on this forum is dominated by users who think SENA is the ultimate home of test cricket and testing grounds and there’s a significant proportion of SC fans who also value performing there very highly to an extent that SENA fans dont really do in contrast

the other thing is the lack of a strong 2nd or 3rd test nation in Asia in comparison to SENA, even Pakistan have declined. if you bring up a performance against Sri Lanka or Bangladesh you’ll be hit with the “its just 2 weakling countries bro”. doesnt help that India and Pakistan no longer play any tests facing each other

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have noticed in our conversations a subtle bias against giving SC pacers full due for their home records.

McGrath and Steyn are given points for succeeding in flat bat eras, yet Imran and Wasim not as much for excelling on pancake wickets which have a bigger portion of their career.

Kapil comes off at a disadvantage against Botham on bowling stakes yet averages less than him on less supportive home wickets.

Someone like Shami has been able to excel at home while foreign pacers like Rabada struggle.

How can SC pacers be given proper due?
I find it's actually the opposite and Imran/ Wasim get yapped up but McGrath doesn't get the hypothetical lowering of his average to correspond with the downplaying if his contemporaries' batting averages.

subshakerz

International Coach
I find it's actually the opposite and Imran/ Wasim get yapped up but McGrath doesn't get the hypothetical lowering of his average to correspond with the downplaying if his contemporaries' batting averages.
Well half of McGraths career was in the 90s for a start...

Burgey

but in all seriousness its partly because all narrative on this forum is dominated by users who think SENA is the ultimate home of test cricket
Well that's because it is. SC sides have been an embarrassment for most of their existence and have only come into their own in the last 20-30 years for the most part. You don't just blow in and assume ownership as the "ultimate home" of test cricket when you barely beat time with a stick for most of your existence. Come on ffs.

subshakerz

International Coach
but in all seriousness its partly because all narrative on this forum is dominated by users who think SENA is the ultimate home of test cricket and testing grounds and there’s a significant proportion of SC fans who also value performing there very highly to an extent that SENA fans dont really do in contrast
Yet the same users will make success in SC as a litmus test for SENA bowlers to be rate higher.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Well that's because it is. SC sides have been an embarrassment for most of their existence and have only come into their own in the last 20-30 years for the most part. You don't just blow in and assume ownership as the "ultimate home" of test cricket when you barely beat time with a stick for most of your existence. Come on ffs.
dude you do know you’re proving my point right

subshakerz

International Coach
You're a legend, calling it like it is.

Burgey

The viewpoint which is trying to be invalidated is a valid one though. It's crazy the amount of posters here who bang on about "hOw WoUlD/ dId He Go In ThE sUbCoNtInEnT" when SC sides routinely **** the bed when on the road for the better part of a century and barely gave a yelp. How TF do you perform like that over decades but expect to be considered as some kind of historic benchmark. It's obviously different these days but historically you'd rather watch a Shield season than have a SC side tour, because they were just terribad.

subshakerz

International Coach
lol what

Lillee is called an atg despite his lack of SC performances

the only one who does what you claim are a handful of you nerds, the rest dont give a **** rightfully
Nah I think this is a pretty common standard now to expect from any modern SENA pacer. Lillee is kinda of a exception.

Burgey

FMD I had the misfortune of watching India and Pakistan tour here in the 70s and early 80s. It was horrific to watch, and that's coming from someone who mainlined cricket as a kid. FMD they lost to a WSC era Aus side captained by a 40 something bloke who came out of playing grade cricket. It was 47 years ago and I still resent having to watch that dirge.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The viewpoint which is trying to be invalidated is a valid one though. It's crazy the amount of posters here who bang on about "hOw WoUlD/ dId He Go In ThE sUbCoNtInEnT" when SC sides routinely **** the bed when on the road for the better part of a century and barely gave a yelp. How TF do you perform like that over decades but expect to be considered as some kind of historic benchmark. It's obviously different these days but historically you'd rather watch a Shield season than have a SC side tour, because they were just terribad.
FMD I had the misfortune of watching India and Pakistan tour here in the 70s and early 80s. It was horrific to watch, and that's coming from someone who mainlined cricket as a kid. FMD they lost to a WSC era Aus side captained by a 40 something bloke who came out of playing grade cricket. It was 47 years ago and I still resent having to watch that dirge.
ik you’re old and all but its an entirely different century now

subshakerz

International Coach
I get you but it is kinda deviating from the point of whether the pitch conditions for home pacers in SC deserve more recognition in their records. SC teams being bad away from home doesn't really change that even if it contributes to downgrading the merit of performing there.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think your memory might be a bit foggy since Pakistan managed to draw test series in 76 and 79.