• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diminishing Draft

ataraxia

International Coach
Don't you need a keeper with less runs than Barlow?
Oh haha I didn't realise I couldn't select a keeper as a bowler. :ph34r: That was well-indicated earlier in the draft; I just missed it or forgot, my bad. Jock Cameron then.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nourse and Younis were the most frustrating near misses for me. I was on plan Z towards the end and one more near miss away from an existential crisis.
Absolutely the same for me. If I missed Philander, or even McDonald and Gregory towards the end I was pretty much SOL and might have had to (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ .

shortpitched713

International Captain
So writeup

G Gooch
V Merchant
K Barrington
S Tendulkar
Y Khan
Ranjitsinhji
Q De Kock +
K Rabada
D Underwood
W Younis
M Asif

This is basically an anti-hb side at it's finest, these guys don't care about secondary **** but they are some of the best at the primary skill sets of bowling, batting, fielding (? I have no clue), ball tampering, fixing etc. Also this is one rad middle order (I think )
Minus points for no Hansie Cronje then. :p

kingkallis

International Coach
Finally playing draft game after ages and it feels good. I missed First 2 rounds but pretty happy with the team I ended up drafting. Thank you for managing this lovely draft @CricAddict.

CricZo XI

Gordon Greenidge/
Geoffrey Boycott /
Neil Harvey /
Viv Richards / o
Doug Walters / o
BJ Watling / +
Chris Cairns / o
Richie Benaud o / (c)
Wes Hall o
Fred Trueman o
Colin Croft o

screenshot-batsmen.png

This team will be led by Richie Benaud.

Sir Geoffrey Boycott
and Sir Gordon Greenidge will open the inning and these 2 contrasting style players are perfect to compliment each other. Boycs will do the job of holding the inning and tiring the bowlers while Greenidge will take the attack to play with the morales of the opponents.

Neil Harvey and Sir Viv Richards are going to do what Boycs and Greenidge started! If wickets tumble, Harvey will play the anchor and will let v Viv play his natural game. The top order is equipped with patience and aggression which is required to set a decent total.

Doug Walters, who has scored big daddy hundreds at No.5 and No.6 (242 and 250 respectively) along with Watling, Cairns and Benaud will try and add 150-200 runs in the middle - lower middle order.

That top and middle order has experience of piling 40,000 Test runs and well over 150,000 first class runs. BJ Watling is one the finest and safest gloveman of recent times with over 250 dismissals and bowlers will safe if Watling is standing behind the wickets!

screenshot-ar.png

I'd have preferred to have Marshall or Hadlee toleadmy bowling unit but I am not too unhappy with Fred Trueman, Sir Wes Hall & Fred Goodall's good friend Colin Croft. These 3 forms a fiery pace attack along with Chris Cairns who takes 3-4 wickets each game to help Trueman manage the workload of the pace battery. Richie Benaud is frequently found in the TOP 5 leggies in cricket forums and discussions among cricket experts and fans.

This formiddable bowling unit has over 1100 test wickets under their belt and have well over 6000 first class wickets to their names.

screenshot-bowlers.png

Thank you for reading!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Finally playing draft game after ages and it feels good. I missed First 2 rounds but pretty happy with the team I ended up drafting. Thank you for managing this lovely draft @CricAddict.

CricZo XI

Gordon Greenidge/
Geoffrey Boycott /
Neil Harvey /
Viv Richards / o
Doug Walters / o
BJ Watling / +
Chris Cairns / o
Richie Benaud o / (c)
Wes Hall o
Fred Trueman o
Colin Croft o

View attachment 34348

This team will be led by Richie Benaud.

Sir Geoffrey Boycott
and Sir Gordon Greenidge will open the inning and these 2 contrasting style players are perfect to compliment each other. Boycs will do the job of holding the inning and tiring the bowlers while Greenidge will take the attack to play with the morales of the opponents.

Neil Harvey and Sir Viv Richards are going to do what Boycs and Greenidge started! If wickets tumble, Harvey will play the anchor and will let v Viv play his natural game. The top order is equipped with patience and aggression which is required to set a decent total.

Doug Walters, who has scored big daddy hundreds at No.5 and No.6 (242 and 250 respectively) along with Watling, Cairns and Benaud will try and add 150-200 runs in the middle - lower middle order.

That top and middle order has experience of piling 40,000 Test runs and well over 150,000 first class runs. BJ Watling is one the finest and safest gloveman of recent times with over 250 dismissals and bowlers will safe if Watling is standing behind the wickets!

View attachment 34349

I'd have preferred to have Marshall or Hadlee toleadmy bowling unit but I am not too unhappy with Fred Trueman, Sir Wes Hall & Fred Goodall's good friend Colin Croft. These 3 forms a fiery pace attack along with Chris Cairns who takes 3-4 wickets each game to help Trueman manage the workload of the pace battery. Richie Benaud is frequently found in the TOP 5 leggies in cricket forums and discussions among cricket experts and fans.

This formiddable bowling unit has over 1100 test wickets under their belt and have well over 6000 first class wickets to their names.

View attachment 34351

Thank you for reading!
Forget about voting. KK wins it for his photos!

shortpitched713

International Captain
Oh yeah, I'll probably end up doing a sim with these teams as well, so look out for that thread. It's just for fun obviously, and after the voting concludes so as to not influence people's selections. Just put in too much time on this draft already to not also do a sim, lol.

kingkallis

International Coach
Oh yeah, I'll probably end up doing a sim with these teams as well, so look out for that thread. It's just for fun obviously, and after the voting concludes so as to not influence people's selections. Just put in too much time on this draft already to not also do a sim, lol.
Simming would be totally amazing. We have not done it for so long. I think last time we did it for ATG World XI teams?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yes we can do that. But how do we define the groups? There are chances that two or 3 preferred teams get into one group and no preferred teams in another.
No groups. Start with pre-quarters. All knockout. Seeding is a problem, yes. Don't know how you solve that.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit tight for me till Sunday guys. So will put up the vote on Monday or Tuesday.

As of now, I just plan to put up the usual format of all 16 teams for voting and ask to choose 3 teams. But I understand that could be challenging for the voters.

Please discuss and let me know by Sunday if there is a better solution.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Great work @CricAddict and excellent effort writeup @kingkallis . Thanks for the shoutout and love your team, @shortpitched713 .

And suck it @srbhkshk :@

Honest Hunks

Alastair Cook
Michael Slater
Trevor Goddard (4)
Aravinda De Silva (8)
Michael Clarke (c) (7)
Jonny Bairstow (wk)
Kapil Dev (vc) (2)
Yasir Shah (6)
Mitchell Johnson (3)
Muttiah Muralitharan (5)
Jimmy Anderson (1)

A very modern-ish team but full of exciting and quality test match players through and through.

Batting - The right mix of fire and ice.

• Cook and Slater will provide solid yet aggressive starts irrespective of conditions.
  • Goddard will be the anchor and provide control with both bat and ball.
  • 4-7 will all be quality batsmen who can all Bazball before it became cool (yes YJB had that knock in RSA way before Bazball).
  • 8 and 9 have test 100s and can support the batsmen or score freely with their stubborn lower order mates.
  • Murali and Anderson have both been considered proper #11s but can hang around and have test 50s to their names.

Bowling - A true all conditions attack

• Johnson will be in beast mode in bouncy conditions like Aus and RSA.
  • Anderson will be the king of swing in England, NZ, Windies - esp. if they use the Dukes.
  • Kapil will lead us to glory with the new ball in all SC and turning conditions.
  • Yasir and Murali can attack and defend based on how the other is going and at least one of them will always find conditions to their liking.
  • Goddard, De Silva, Clarke can all provide quality part time support where needed.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
A bit tight for me till Sunday guys. So will put up the vote on Monday or Tuesday.

As of now, I just plan to put up the usual format of all 16 teams for voting and ask to choose 3 teams. But I understand that could be challenging for the voters.

Please discuss and let me know by Sunday if there is a better solution.
Perhaps as a compromise you could do the 16 teams together, but make it 5 votes each. That won't give you any extra work and will probably make voting easier (I know I'd find it easier picking 5 rather than 3).

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Len Hutton
Barry Richards
George Headley
Brian Lara
Graeme Pollock
Steve Waugh
Clyde Walcott+
Monty Noble*
Maurice Tate
Brian Statham
Jack Cowie

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My team's strength lies in my 5 ATG bowlers.. Led by the best bowler of all-time, Marshall, he has 4 other best of the ATG bowlers to support with Thomson providing the pace, Bedser bowling the hard overs, Verity and Faulkner then combining to strangle the teams with their quality left-arm spin and leg spin combination. To me, this attack has it all to succeed in all conditions. Plus, they can all hold a bat too.

Having said that, the batting is no slouch either. It will be led by one of the best batsmen of all-time, Steve Smith and unarguably best keeper-bat, Adam Gilchrist. Anwar and Turner are the best openers of their respective countries and Duleepsinghji with a test average of 58 providing solid base at 3.

Last but not the least, Aubrey Faulkner is arguably among the top 5 all-rounders in history and they will all be ably led by Douglas Jardine who can conjure strategies to defeat the greatest of the greats.

The team has good left-right combinations, all-round bowling variety, representation from 7 test countries, decent number of ATGs and a team to succeed in all conditions.

The addicts

1. Glenn Turner
2. Saeed Anwar
3. Duleepsinghji
4. Steve Smith (vc)
5. Douglas Jardine (c)
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Aubrey Faulkner (5)
8. Hedley Verity (4)
9. Malcolm Marshall (1)
10. Alec Bedser (3)
11. Jeff Thomson (2)

Lastly, thanks to all for participating in the draft so eagerly and playing by the rules throughout the draft, thus making my job a whole lot easier. I thoroughly enjoyed running it. Good fun!

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The addictsFuller PilchCricZO XIsrbhkshkLine and LengthtrundlerBitmapataraxia
1. Glenn Turner01 WG Grace (c) 4Gordon Greenidge/G GoochM.Hayden /Sunil GavaskarGraeme Smith1) Virender Sehwag /
2. Saeed Anwar02 Bob Simpson 7Geoffrey Boycott /V MerchantG.Kirsten /Hanif MohammadVictor Trumper2) Eddie Barlow / o
3. Duleepsinghji03 Kane WilliamsonNeil Harvey /K BarringtonK.Sangakarra /Rohan KanhaiDevon Conway3) Lindsay Hassett* /
4. Steve Smith (vc)04 Marnus LabuschagneViv Richards / oS TendulkarV.Kohli /Javed MiandadJacques Kallis4) Martin Crowe /
5. Douglas Jardine (c)05 Martin DonnellyDoug Walters / oY KhanM.Hussey /Clem Hill*Denis Compton5) Vijay Hazare /
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)06 AB De Villiers (wk)BJ Watling / +RanjitsinhjiA.Stewart (wk) /Warwick Armstrong 5Allan Border*6) Mohammad Yousuf /
7. Aubrey Faulkner (5)07 Shakib Al Hasan 6Chris Cairns / oQ De Kock +A.Flintoff /oDenis Lindsay+John Waite+7) Jock Cameron + /
8. Hedley Verity (4)08 Wasim Akram 1Richie Benaud o / (c)K RabadaI.Botham o/Pat Cummins 3Peter Pollock8) Clarrie Grimmett o
9. Malcolm Marshall (1)09 Ryan Harris 3Wes Hall oD UnderwoodD.Steyn oHugh Tayfield 4Hugh Trumble9) Andy Roberts o
10. Alec Bedser (3)10 Jim Laker 5Fred Trueman oW YounisF.Tyson oCurtly Ambrose 1Michael Holding10) Allan Donald o
11. Jeff Thomson (2)11 Dennis Lillee 2Colin Croft oM AsifL.Gibbs oNeil Adcock 2Shoaib Akhtar11) Glenn McGrath o
ankitjThe All Conditions All-RoundersHonest HunksPothasAndrewBTeutonPatienceJOJOXI
Jack Hobbs01. Colin McDonaldAlastair CookBruce MitchellLen HuttonJustin Langer
Bill Ponsford02. Herbert SutcliffeMichael SlaterArthur MorrisBarry RichardsSid G Barnes
Frank Worrell (5) (c)03. Peter May *Trevor Goddard (4)Wally HammondGeorge HeadleyRicky Ponting c
Dudley Nourse04. Joe RootAravinda De Silva (8)Greg ChappelBrian LaraBabar Azam
Stan McCabe (6)05. Andy Flower +Michael Clarke (c) (7)Everton WeekesGraeme PollockMahela Jayawardene
Les Ames (wk)06. Tony Greig (6)Jonny Bairstow (wk)Garry Sobers*Steve WaughTed Dexter
VVS Laxman07. Jack Gregory (5)Kapil Dev (vc) (2)Alan Knott+Clyde Walcott+Jeff Dujon
Richard Hadlee (2)08. Shaun Pollock (2)Yasir Shah (6)Anil KumbleMonty Noble*Ravichandran Ashwin
Joel Garner (3)09. Ravindra Jadeja (4)Mitchell Johnson (3)John SnowMaurice TateAlan Davidson
Sydney Barnes (1)10. Vernon Philander (1)Muttiah Muralitharan (5)Shane BondBrian StathamJasprit Bumrah
Subhash Gupte (4)11. Bill Johnston (3)Jimmy Anderson (1)Bob WillisJack CowieCourtney Walsh

Last edited: