• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diego Maradona RIP

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Went to Naples just over 4 years ago (wouldn't recommend; something of a ****hole) and he's still worshipped like a god there.

There are little plaster cast replicas of him for sale on literally every souvenir stall and shop, of which there are several.

For every model of Marek Hamsik (Napoli's then star player with nearly ten years of service under his belt) for sale, resplendent in his trademark mohawk, there were a dozen of Maradona grinning tubbily from beneath his shock of black hair, and it was 25 years since he'd played for them.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is an ATG post :laugh:
I actually wrote it before Shilton had commented. As much of a **** as he is I didn’t think he would be talking **** about Maradona today.

So so good though. Nothing better in all of sport than a controversial win over a team of absolute ****s that take defeat really badly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The hand of God goal was obviously a sickener at the time for England fans, but the team actually got quite a bit of kudos for the way they handled (ho ho) it on the field.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I actually wrote it before Shilton had commented. As much of a **** as he is I didn’t think he would be talking **** about Maradona today.

So so good though. Nothing better in all of sport than a controversial win over a team of absolute ****s that take defeat really badly.

This is the only thing I've seen, other than the fake tweets going round. What else did he say?

Uppercut

Yeah he wrote a very bitter Mail piece where he calls him a cheat and says he's glad he refused to meet Maradona from then onwards.

This pic of everyone laughing at him for it on breakfast TV is meme-worthy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love how much English fans hate him.

We played Argentina when he was manager, Terry Butcher was on Scotland's coaching staff at the time and made some sort of crybaby comment about the Hand of God goal, when Maradona was questioned about Butcher's comments be retorted by pointing out that Geoff Hurst's goal in 1966 wasn't over the line.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Geoff Hurst didn’t actually cheat, but both could have been avoided with a decent linesman. Maradona himself literally cried like a baby after the Final four years later because of what he described as “a penalty that didn’t exist”.

He’s still the best player I’ve ever seen.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Geoff Hurst didn’t actually cheat, but both could have been avoided with a decent linesman. Maradona himself literally cried like a baby after the Final four years later because of what he described as “a penalty that didn’t exist”.
yeah i can understand his disappointment but the 1990 world cup was a big letdown for maradona fans...also germany was the best team and fully deserved the win...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
no germany won in 1990...not italy? italy lost in the semis if i remember correctly...or are you saying italy was the best team in 1990?
Italy were the best team in 1990 and should have won the tournament.

Scheduling a semi final against Argentina in Naples was a bit of a blunder on their part.

flibbertyjibber

Italy were the best team in 1990 and should have won the tournament.

Scheduling a semi final against Argentina in Naples was a bit of a blunder on their part.
Na, West Germany were the best side and Lothar Matthaus was head and shoulders the best player of the tournament. Would have been a hell of a final though if Italy had got there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Na, West Germany were the best side and Lothar Matthaus was head and shoulders the best player of the tournament. Would have been a hell of a final though if Italy had got there.
That's how I remembered it too. I just didn't remember Italy being anything more than OK, especially considering home advantage. Baggio's goal against the Czechs the one exception. Looking at the tournament details on Wiki, there's an interesting tale that had previously escaped me, involving Maradona offering the Brazilian player Branco a bottle of water that was spiked with tranquilisers during their last 16 match.