• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diego Maradona RIP

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rip Diego. Way before my time but what I have seen was incredible. Seemed like a tortured soul though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great player. Amazingly so. Won't pretend I liked the bloke, but he was touched by (yes) the hand of god.

Football nowadays is like a non-contact sport compared to how it used to be when Diego was in his cups, so comparisons with Messi or Ronaldo are invidious.

RIP.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
RIP.

Had looked in terrible shape over the last few years.

Was watching some highlights from the 2010 WC when he was the Argentina head coach the other day. Only ten years ago, but he literally looked like a different person to how he looked over the last few years.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Heart attack apparently; maybe not such as massive surprise. Still very young of course. I suppose my abiding memory isn't the obvious one from 1986, but when he played at Wembley in 1980. We had tickets and the match wasn't broadcast due to industrial action, so we were in something of a minority to actually see the game at the time. At one point he left half the England side for dead before slipping the ball past Clemence but also just past the post.

Pothas

Obviously this should not be a surprise at all but for some reason it really feels like one.

Have been listening to a load of the life in goals podcast recently and he probably gets talked about more than any other player.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
was my favorite player growing up...still think he has legitimate claims of being the greatest footballer ever...

fredfertang

He's actually younger than me, but clearly didn't look after himself as well as I have, which seems remarkable

Any death is sad, of course, but personally I've never forgiven him for the hand of God incident

Himannv

International Coach
Knew he was hospitalized but somehow didn't expect this. 2020 really is the worst year. One of the greatest ever. RIP.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An incredible player who lived the boyhood dream of using football to **** over all of his real and imagined enemies. Not only did he win games, but he won them in ways that his hated opponents could never mentally recover from, and hence he will live on in the ongoing bitter tweets of Peter Shilton.

RIP/WAFG.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
RIP. Not a big fan of football but watched the 1994 WC due to all the hype and him being all over the news. Definitely transcended the sport in a way very few sports people do.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Great player. Amazingly so. Won't pretend I liked the bloke, but he was touched by (yes) the hand of god.

Football nowadays is like a non-contact sport compared to how it used to be when Diego was in his cups, so comparisons with Messi or Ronaldo are invidious.

RIP.
Haha you're not kidding. Hoddle gets absolutely flattened in the build up to Argentina's 2nd goal and the ref's response is basically 'lol, get up'

Pothas

what a goal that was...
I have probably seen it more than any other goal but still found myself watching it at least 10 times today.

I can also endlessly listen to Tim Vickery talking about it or more accurately him talking about Bryon Butler's commentary of it. 'Turns, like a little eel.' Incredible.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
An incredible player who lived the boyhood dream of using football to **** over all of his real and imagined enemies. Not only did he win games, but he won them in ways that his hated opponents could never mentally recover from, and hence he will live on in the ongoing bitter tweets of Peter Shilton.

RIP/WAFG.
This is an ATG post :laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have probably seen it more than any other goal but still found myself watching it at least 10 times today.

I can also endlessly listen to Tim Vickery talking about it or more accurately him talking about Bryon Butler's commentary of it. 'Turns, like a little eel.' Incredible.
Such great commentary.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Got round to watching the Maradona film last night - some of it was quite an uncomfortable watch. The footage from the Napoli Christmas Party in 1990 was just painful, and there's so many scenes where you can tell he really wasn't comfortable with the adulation he received in Naples.

I wonder how like and his career would have panned out if he'd left Napoli after the 1989 UEFA Cup final like he wanted.

edit: also speaks volumes for the guy's talent that he scored 16 goals to lead Napoli to the Scudetto in 1990 despite basically spending the 2nd half of every week recovering from the bender he went on in the first half.