• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni is a model of sportsmanship. Haters can suck it

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Two wrongs don't make a right ever.
I don't remember clearly what incident he was talking about so would not comment on that specific one.

But if there are 2 incidents like this and one India overturns and one India don't get overturned against them. They may come out of it looking like nice guys and all but at a cumulative actual loss in terms of result and performance.
The ex captains reaction also supports it.

It would have been all good if every captain would have done it, but not hapoy with this decision if only Dhoni does it but other's don't.

To draw a analogy-

There are 10 small shops in a street and 9 of them are encroaching upon a footpath and earning more than the 10th.
Now the 10th one that is not encroaching may be ethically right and deserve praise, but if the other 9 are earning more by being ethically wrong then is it right decision from him or is he being naive to not encroach?

Themer

U19 Cricketer
It would have been all good if every captain would have done it, but not hapoy with this decision if only Dhoni does it but other's don't.
Don't agree with the arguement. You say other captains wouldn't yet as previously mentioned Strauss recalled Matthews after a run out incident a couple of years back. Not that I agree with your point in the arguement any.

Something is either the right thing to do or the wrong thing to do, how that effects the result of the game is completely irrelevent. Today the right thing was done, talk as much of what other captains would have done it makes no difference to the fact that Dhoni did the right thing in the spirit of the game. And I do still believe there is a spirit of the game which far outweighs the technicalities in cases such as this.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Quite bizzare how Dravid compared the two incidents tbh. Laxman one is obvious that the ball is still in play unlike the Bell one where everyone thought it was a four/tea.

Jacknife

International Captain
The ex captains are all a bunch of blowhards. All very easy to say what you would or wouldn't have done if you're speaking hypothetically.
They are, it's all very easy to jump on your high horse when you've got nothing on the line like the Captain's have.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess I'm just in minority here but to me a captain making a conscious decision to perform an act that directly benefits the opposition is an immediate sackable offense. If you want it to be a rule, write it down. He is not there as a goodwill ambassador. Hindsight is 20/20, whether India lose by 400 or 5 or pull out a miracle win, the decision by the indian captain at the time it was taken directly against the interests of his team. If it helps bridge the divide between fans and boards or whatever the hell else, it's all good but his job is to win the games first.

I knew as soon as the first series was lost by Dhoni, the knives would be out for his captaincy but I never thought in a million years that I'd be one of the first ones to do it.

Anyway I've said enough on the topic - I guess we'll agree to disagree.
Don't take this the wrong way (because you're not a **** for thinking the above) but I reckon that sort of view is shaped by not having played much team sport. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, not enough room here for me to write all the things you are a **** for, tbh.

Good on Dhoni. Under the rules, India was well within their rights to appeal and you certainly wouldn't hold it against them for doing so either. But that they had a think and reversed it, regardless whether the decision was totally unanimous, is just a good thing to do, in my opinion. Bell's mistake was really n00b stuff but I guess with a top ton under his belt, can forgive him for a lapse. WAC/G.

That said, I'd have given very strong consideration for not withdrawing the appeal. I'm probably 45/55 on this one, depending on how much I liked the guy who'd been run out/whether my team was still in the match..

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I am not sure you want to go there mate.

Or the Ponting raising finger images and the photos of the claimed grounded catch will come out pretty soon.
It's a legitimate post to Anku's claim that Dhoni has "not once done something on field that can be remotely called poor gamesmanship".

Yes, there is an argument that those catches are bloody difficult to call, particularly as you're not looking at the ball because you don't want to get it in your face if it kicks up, but it's not a claim that Ponting is an angel, or that Michael Clarke doesn't think one-hand one-bounce is part of International cricket, so let's not go there either.

Top_Cat

I am not sure you want to go there mate.

Or the Ponting raising finger images and the photos of the claimed grounded catch will come out pretty soon.
Therein lies the problem people have with your posting sometimes. Riggins brings up a completely relevent example and you bring up the actions of a player from a team not associated in any way with this match or these teams or players, probably only because Riggins is Aussie.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Oops!! apologies if i overreacted there.

That title of the Video threw me off.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's a legitimate post to Anku's claim that Dhoni has "not once done something on field that can be remotely called poor gamesmanship".

Yes, there is an argument that those catches are bloody difficult to call, particularly as you're not looking at the ball because you don't want to get it in your face if it kicks up, but it's not a claim that Ponting is an angel, or that Michael Clarke doesn't think one-hand one-bounce is part of International cricket, so let's not go there either.
Yeah It was a legitimate post.

I don't think Dhoni knew about it there though just like one of the Ponting / Clarke incidents and hence i drew the analogy(one of 3 IIRC).

Actually it was the title of the Video which comes straight from youtube which threw me off. Apologies to Riggins.

Btw, it was Ankit not Anku:p

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Therein lies the problem people have with your posting sometimes. Riggins brings up a completely relevent example and you bring up the actions of a player from a team not associated in any way with this match or these teams or players, probably only because Riggins is Aussie.
I don't usually engage in that type of stereotyping to be fair, like some others who do on here. And i just said that they will come out, didn't actually post it as some could react in that manner.

That title of the Video coming from the Youtube cache which is provocative to say the least threw me off. Post deleted.:)

Last edited:

Burgey

Pretty much that. Enough of it, all the Dhoni haters. You'd wish to believe he is a poor man. You are more than willing to believe Harper's accusation of being threatened by Dhoni. But admit it, he has not once done something on field that can be remotely called poor gamesmanship. Not once in his career so far he has sledged at an opponent, not even in retaliation. And what happened today, you all saw it. Give it to him.
Well.....

Edit: beaten.

Last edited:

Burgey

I don't usually engage in that type of stereotyping to be fair, like some others who do on here. And i just said that they will come out, didn't actually post it as some could react in that manner.

That title of the Video coming from the Youtube cache which is provocative to say the least threw me off. Post deleted.:)
I think there was one Clarke did against NZ in an ODI whcih was beyond anything else I've seen by way of half volleys.

The terrible thing was he was at square leg, got up and looked at the umpire who was right next to him with a quizzical look on his face, and the umpire was happy to say the ball carried.

It was utterly bizarre.

Top_Cat

It's almost as if stuff happens so fast out there that sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what happened.

If only there was a computerised system of some sort which could remove at least some of the doubt.