• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/night Tests officially sanctioned by ICC

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I like the idea of day-night tests, but I'm not sure on the practicalities.

I'm not aware of the dew problem. Is it a problem because the ball swings violent in the humid evening conditions (which I wouldn't be that concerned about), or is it an issue because the outfield and the ball get slippery? Either way, I don't think dew would be a major concern in New Zealand, and there are a couple of grounds around the country (especially McLean Park and Hamilton) where day night matches could probably help to boost attendances. Better not ever be used as an excuse to shift test matches from the Basin to the Stadium though. I know there have been a few trials of light coloured balls for day-night FC matches, does anyone know how well they worked?

Four fielders outside the circle? FMD, ODI's have become a complete joke. With this rule, 400 will become blase and spinners and part-timers will be annihilated. Up until now I still really enjoyed the format, but I can't see the point of tuning in to watch 7 hours of block-bash bull****. It's particularly irritating because, as somebody has already pointed out, the easy way to improve the cat-and-mouse middle overs period is simply to allow bowlers more than 10 overs each. Ugh.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Better not ever be used as an excuse to shift test matches from the Basin to the Stadium though. I know there have been a few trials of light coloured balls for day-night FC matches, does anyone know how well they worked?

Four fielders outside the circle? FMD, ODI's have become a complete joke. With this rule, 400 will become blase and spinners and part-timers will be annihilated. Up until now I still really enjoyed the format, but I can't see the point of tuning in to watch 7 hours of block-bash bull****. It's particularly irritating because, as somebody has already pointed out, the easy way to improve the cat-and-mouse middle overs period is simply to allow bowlers more than 10 overs each. Ugh.
Agree with all of this.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they try putting on a Test at the Wetspac at some point. Apparently, most of the HRV Cup 20:20 Domestic games are going to be staged there. Which is disgusting, IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think just pushing it back to 8 o'clock finish is a great idea, in Australia anyway. And leave the Perth Test as is. :cool:

England is fine with the dew factor for the majority of the summer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And I wouldn't be surprised if they try putting on a Test at the Wetspac at some point. Apparently, most of the HRV Cup 20:20 Domestic games are going to be staged there. Which is disgusting, IMO.
Yeah, though I'm less concerned about T20's at the stadium. In an ideal world, the basin would be upgraded to allow day-night matches, but sadly that'll never happen.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't read the link posted because as state earlier I cbf clicking linx. But what time slot will the final session be played in? If they require the full use of the lights with the black sky background, with a red ball it won't be good for TV or spectators, as the ball will easily get lost in the sky.
Last session starts at 6pm and ends when the parents of the players tell them dinner has to be eaten right now

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeah, though I'm less concerned about T20's at the stadium. In an ideal world, the basin would be upgraded to allow day-night matches, but sadly that'll never happen.
I am concerned about 20:20s at the Stadium. A waste of money for Cricket Wellington who'll never recoup the costs and it's another nail in the Basin. They're playing most of the 20:20s on a Friday night. Why not Sunday during the day?

I hate watching cricket at the Stadium - it's a terrible venue for cricket. I will not be going to any HRV Cup games there - and last season I would have gone to most at the Basin.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I am concerned about 20:20s at the Stadium. A waste of money for Cricket Wellington who'll never recoup the costs and it's another nail in the Basin. They're playing most of the 20:20s on a Friday night. Why not Sunday during the day?I hate watching cricket at the Stadium - it's a terrible venue for cricket. I will not be going to any HRV Cup games there - and last season I would have gone to most at the Basin.
Fair enough point. I guess Cricket Wellington is banking on a big walk up crowd of boozed public servants drifting in after their friday night drinks, but I think they're probably dreaming.

HeathDavisSpeed

Fair enough point. I guess Cricket Wellington is banking on a big walk up crowd of boozed public servants drifting in after their friday night drinks, but I think they're probably dreaming.
And they'll miss out on the families and the kids getting up close to the players and being able to play cricket around the outside. You know, giving the future cricketers the chance to get up close to the game. It's a bloody terrible decision

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am a boozing public servant so Friday Nights at the cake tin next to public transport is perfect for me.

I am busy on Sundays.

My comment is that Day Night cricket could be a big win for New Zealand. For instance it gives us the chance to play India in a test at a time when they can watch on TV. This could be a big windfall for TV revenues and encourage teams to tour us more often (where in the past our time zone has put peeps off).

May help on future England tours as well although not as perfectly as for Indian tours.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to uVelocity for his sleep assisted summary of the DRS enhancement. The raw quote was meaningless to me.

HeathDavisSpeed

If you want to watch cricket at the Westpac, you get what you deserve. If there's a ****ter international cricket venue than that, I'm yet to visit it.

HeathDavisSpeed

It is ok with a big crowd in. would suck if a low turnout.
Probably a fair enough comment, but I've been to over a dozen international games there I reckon and the crowds have always been poor and you're never gonna be able to get close to the game, or play on the outfield in the innings break.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think just pushing it back to 8 o'clock finish is a great idea, in Australia anyway. And leave the Perth Test as is. :cool:

England is fine with the dew factor for the majority of the summer.
Depends how much night is required for each match really. Can't see England doing it anyway as it will put off traditionalists and you know how fuddy duddy the old duffers over here get.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The other advantage of course of day night tests is that it will end the frustrating "bad light stops play" situations just when fans are getting really into the game.