• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/Night Test Cricket - Shield trials sheduled to gauge viability

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. India's economic rise will have made hovering lights available to a buoyant agribusiness hub like New Zealand by 2025.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i'd like to see a fair few more trials before they go ahead with this, as far as i know they've only had the one day/night round in the sheffield shield last season and they're already planning to use it in tests.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
furthermore with adelaide being australia's biggest retirement village the local population would not look to kindly on the concept of day night tests

GGG

State Captain
Not that it matters and is trivial but what will the breaks be called? Will they still be calling it lunch at 4pm?

Swingpanzee

International Regular
^This. A dinner break would sound moronic.

Not too keen on day/night tests. Just takes the charm off of test cricket for me. IMO test cricket doesn't need any change to survive, although people with commercial interests in mind would changes to earn more bucks.

Spark

Global Moderator
^This. A dinner break would sound moronic.

Not too keen on day/night tests. Just takes the charm off of test cricket for me. IMO test cricket doesn't need any change to survive, although people with commercial interests in mind would changes to earn more bucks.
Did you see the crowd for Day 5 of the Headingley Test?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Australia Cricket News: Pink balls could lead to 'very, very boring cricket' | ESPN Cricinfo
"The ball itself, they [the players] were quite critical of it," Marsh told ESPNcricinfo. "The general feedback was that it went soft very quickly, the ball didn't swing, it didn't seam, it didn't reverse swing. So it became a ball that was very difficult to get batsmen out with, but it was also difficult to score runs because it got soft quickly.
This is a legitimate point against day-night tests if true. I'd assumed problems with the ball lacquer and visibility had largely been addressed already, however if not and low quality cricket results then that will be a big setback.

It's similar to why I've thought dew is the biggest challenge to for day-night tests to overcome, as a damp ball simply reduces the ability of the bowler to perform their craft and reduces the overall quality of the match. In contrast I wouldn't mind if say, bowlers found atmospheric conditions at night more conducive to swing than daytime, as that still requires skill to exploit and adds interest to the game.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think if they can't get the pink/whatever ball to the stage where it is exactly the same as the red ball for bowlers, it's a no go for tests.

We already have two forms of the game where everything is weighted ridiculously towards batsmen. Doesn't need to happen in tests as well.

All that said, the thought of a couple of hours of test cricket in the evening after a BBQ and a few beers in summer is pretty sweet.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They have to have day-night tests. So I can come home and actually watch these things, instead of telling everyone how I like tests more than LOs but ending up watching more of the LO stuff.