• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner retirement thread

Redbacks

International Captain
I notice he didn't answer any question on the specifics of the incident. Even when asked if it was 'his plan' he only took responsibility for 'his part' in this.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything it sounds like:

a) it wasn't his idea
b) we've done it before
a) ofcourse he is only a part of it (scapegoat)
b) ofcourse they have done it before on multiple occasions.. Smith was so casual about it right afterwards as if it wasn't much of a deal.

Redbacks

International Captain
The Current Affairs style of asking questions as he was walking out and the conference was over was turd journalism but wins the soundbite for the nightly news.

vandem

International 12th Man
The Current Affairs style of asking questions as he was walking out and the conference was over was turd journalism but wins the soundbite for the nightly news.
Probably a journo pissed-off that Warner didn't answer the same question in the presser (instead he repeated the "I'm sorry ..." line), and when the journo tried to repeat the question the CA comms person jumped in with "only one question per person".

So IMHO the turd here is from CA comms, they led journos to believe that there would be a real Q&A after the press conference.

Borges

International Regular
From what I could make out, all that came out of his press conference was:
a. He is sorry for 'his part' in it.
b. He cried.

Oh, and he apologised to the South African team; which I thought was a nice touch.

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Have no idea how you got that from a presser where he simply repeated the same scripted line
Yes because a press conference right before an internal review was his bright idea? Secondly if it was arranged by CA, surely there's no way Dave could've done that, he was issued some from of gag order so as not to implicate others or himself with the specifics. This press conference was IMO just to make Warner look like the lead culprit, as was planned by CA. The others were held to make sure Smith, Bancroft et al get all the sympathy they can garner. Warner is the fall guy & he'll pay for being a team man, one way or another!

michaelm

Cricket Spectator
Warner should consider a stint in baseball
No - nice idea...but not baseball...As The Reverend he should consider entering one of the ecclesiastical orders.

Perhaps there they can teach him a little about ethics and morals...and the difference between right and wrong that a 10-year-old cricketer seems to have a better grasp of.

No press conferences either...perfect for Warner.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes because a press conference right before an internal review was his bright idea? Secondly if it was arranged by CA, surely there's no way Dave could've done that, he was issued some from of gag order so as not to implicate others or himself with the specifics. This press conference was IMO just to make Warner look like the lead culprit, as was planned by CA. The others were held to make sure Smith, Bancroft et al get all the sympathy they can garner. Warner is the fall guy & he'll pay for being a team man, one way or another!
What the?

All 3 gave pressers as ordered by CA

2 gave them immediately after stepping off a flight so appeared to be more spontaneous than the guy who had far more time to prepare a statement

I saw nothing more sinister than that

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Wasn’t it Kusal Perera

Who has since turned down the offer

It’s hilariously beautiful to me that they dropped Warner to gain the moral high ground and then picked Kusal, who was also banned for taking an illegal substance

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor Davo, copping it from every which direction.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opini...the-spirit-of-cricket-are-what-i-cant-forgive

OPINION: Dear Mr Warner, Australian cricketer,

Weep on. Your tears do not move me. Though I have a heart so soft I have pillow-makers asking me my secret, and though I cannot watch even the opening credits of a Lassie movie, I can watch you break down at a press conference and not feel a thing. Except a sense of justice.

Let me tell you why you are weeping, Mr Warner. It is because you were caught. If you had not been caught, if the television cameras had never picked up your crime, would we have seen you weep? Would we have seen you come before a press conference to grovel and acknowledge fault and beg forgiveness? Would we hell. We would have continued to see nothing but the unpleasant Mr Warner we have always seen, the ****sure little bully, the baiter and sledger, the nasty infant, the fosterer of ill-feeling.

You aren't weeping, Mr Warner, because you've looked in the mirror and beheld a sinner. You're weeping because you've blown it. You realise that the glamour and the fame and the million dollar contracts have gone. They've gone as surely as the dew that fell this autumn morning, and it's entirely your fault. That's what's making you cry. You're feeling sorry for yourself.

You say that you will do everything possible to win back people's respect. Well, you can't win back my respect, Mr Warner. And the reason you can't win it back is that you never had it. You only ever had the opposite of my respect. From the very first time I saw you play cricket, Mr Warner, I despised you.

That's what you still don't understand, Mr Warner. You think the ball-tampering is the beginning and the end of this business. But I, for one, am not the least exercised about the ball tampering. Ball tampering is just a grubby little bit of cheating. It's what you happened to get caught for, like Al Capone's tax evasion. It's indicative, but it isn't the main event. The main event is the crimes you have committed against the game of cricket, the part you played in stealing a good thing from the world.

I have loved cricket since I was a child. To me and millions like me it has brought great pleasure. And a part of that pleasure has sprung from that tired old phrase, the spirit of the game. In essence it means the insistence that cricket is indeed just a game, even at the highest level. It is not a real conflict. It is a pretence at conflict, a form of play. It doesn't matter. We do it only for the pleasure that is in it.

The antithesis of that spirit is sledging. To sledge is to abuse your opponent, to assail him verbally. The aim of sledging is to rile a man in the hope he'll make a mistake. And I despise it. It turns a pleasurable game into a hatefest, a bitter, testosteronic battle. Sledging is born of the belief that winning is everything and how you win doesn't matter. And Australians invented it.

The effect on the modern game has been disastrous. It is now commonplace to see club cricketers and even schoolboy cricketers in all parts of the world abusing their opponents, just like the supposed greats of Australian cricket.

You didn't have to carry on the tradition of Australian sledging, Mr Warner. Some of your team-mates don't. But you went at it with glee. You're the verbal attack dog of the current Australian team. And it seems never to have occurred to you that it is cheating. Worse, it is discourteous. And courtesy matters. Courtesy is the acknowledgment of another's right to be. It is the respect of one adult for another, Mr Warner, the respect that you crave, but that you have never given, either to your opponents or to the game itself.

If at any time in your career you had called a press conference to acknowledge how badly you'd behaved on the cricket field and the dire example you had set and to vow that even if it cost you your place in the team you would never sledge again, if only so that you could look your two little daughters in the eye, then I'd have forgiven you everything and applauded you till the heavens rang. But it never crossed your mind. And it's too late now.

You are a fine batsman, Mr Warner, one of the best in the world. But you are a worse cricketer than the lowliest 3rd XI player who plays the game for pleasure and who lets his opponent do the same. Weep on.

Yours most sincerely

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a load of horse**** that is.

Of course the players are crying because they got caught. They are crying because they lost the respect of hundreds of thousands, lost millions of dollars, lost the opportunity to represent their country and have been utterly and completely humiliated.

What's wrong with that? Does that mean these people don't deserve sympathy?

Whoever wrote that seems to think that Warner is responsible for the sledging culture in Australian cricket, forgetting that while he is a part of it, he's also a product of it. The problem has always run deeper.