• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Imran khan

Who was a better bowler

• Dale Steyn

• Imran Khan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Imran by a whisker and that's coming from a huge Steyn fan.

In fact I am one of the the first here at CW who predicted an ATG career for a Steyn when Goughy and Richard both shared their doubts. I still remember Goughy saying he's too skiddish and not tight enough with his lines to average below 25.

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran didn't have much competition in that era either. No one else treated the ball with such affection.
All these weak ass excuses on this board to try and deny Imran's obvious achievements. Posters are just vested in not believing he was as great a player he actually was.

Imran a great bowler? Nah, ball tampering and home umpires.

Imran a great all-rounder? Nah, never batted well when he bowled well.

Imran a capable bat? Nah, look at those not-outs.

Imran a great captain? Nah, got lucky with some players and fluked a World Cup victory.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
One of the main things I find that stats0obsessed cricket tragics on forums like this tend to underestimate the most is the effect of tight bowling and, conversely, aggressive batting. You can't put a number on the effect a Sehwag innings has on each side or the match in general just by looking at his average and strike rate.
You had subshakerz agreeing with you till you mentioned Sehwag. Now his entire logic has gone out the window and the economy rate no longer matters.

sunilz

International Regular
Why are people bringing home umpiring and ball tampering when SA were accused of ball tampering twice and Imran's overseas record is same as Steyn ?

I am giving it to Steyn because of his Nagpur spell(10/11) on a flat wicket against ATG batting line up and Steyn played in more batting friendly era . Both are very close.

@subshakerz
I blame it on you. Next time there is poll involving Indian vs Australian/England/Kiwi players , please let other posters argue or debate against Indian players. You have taken it on your own to argue against Indian players ( however logical or illogical your arguments may be ) and now this would be getting reflected in any poll involving Pak players

subshakerz

International Coach
Playing in a batting era and low SR are not good arguments to me for Steyn. The best argument would be the length of his peak, which was 71 tests for nine years between 2007 and 2015, in which he took 370 wickets@21 and won matches in most locations. Very impressive.

That is an unusually long time for a high pace bowler to peak with no major injuries, outside of slower seamers like McGrath and Hadlee. Ambrose, Donald, Wasim, Imran, and Marshall had peaks of around 40 to 50 tests. Lillee's career had no trough or peak to be fair.

subshakerz

International Coach
Why are people bringing home umpiring and ball tampering when SA were accused of ball tampering twice and Imran's overseas record is same as Steyn ?

I am giving it to Steyn because of his Nagpur spell(10/11) on a flat wicket against ATG batting line up and Steyn played in more batting friendly era . Both are very close.

@subshakerz
I blame it on you. Next time there is poll involving Indian vs Australian/England/Kiwi players , please let other posters argue or debate against Indian players. You have taken it on your own to argue against Indian players ( however logical or illogical your arguments may be ) and now this would be getting reflected in any poll involving Pak players
It's all worth it.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah I know but I am impressed how he has exposed the army establishment. Everyone knew they were calling the shots but he brought them out in the open where they now have to do press conferences to clarify there position.
True, hope he stays safe.