• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Imran khan

Who was a better bowler

• Dale Steyn

• Imran Khan

Results are only viewable after voting.

subshakerz

International Coach
I loved watching Steyn bowl but he would be manhandled too often which I found disappointing for a bowler of his caliber.

Having said that, he won matches in more countries than anyone I think.

subshakerz

International Coach
Steyn had to bowl on some of the lousiest pitches and then got injured when they started to get better across the globe. The reverse Philander. WAG he was.
Is this serious? 60 percent of his career was on the best pace bowling pitches in the world.

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm not sure. Ambrose had the opposite problem. Not being penetrative at times. Depends on what you value more.
Here is where I feel stats dont measure up to actual match reality. A ridiculous SR like Steyn's is offset by his high ER, so its not a direct advantage that posters are making it, and a possible disadvantage. Steyn can win you a match in a session or lose you it.

A bowler who has a higher but still reasonable SR but keeps his ER down to me is more valuable because test matches can allow bowlers the time to take wickets while not leaking runs. So it's worth waiting a few extra deliveries.

One reason I rate Marshall so highly is that he had the trifecta of super low average, low ER and low SR.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Who was Steyn's competition from 2007 to 2014? Brett Lee, Mitch, Anderson and Harris.

Who was Imran's competition from 80 to 88? Lillee, Garner, Holding, Croft, Marshall and Hadlee.
Imran didn't have much competition in that era either. No one else treated the ball with such affection.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here is where I feel stats dont measure up to actual match reality. A ridiculous SR like Steyn's is offset by his high ER, so its not a direct advantage that posters are making it, and a possible disadvantage. Steyn can win you a match in a session or lose you it.

A bowler who has a higher but still reasonable SR but keeps his ER down to me is more valuable because test matches can allow bowlers the time to take wickets while not leaking runs. So it's worth waiting a few extra deliveries.

One reason I rate Marshall so highly is that he had the trifecta of super low average, low ER and low SR.
Bowlers with lower economy get you more wickets at the other end too

Though you could say that about any really good bowler

subshakerz

International Coach
Bowlers with lower economy get you more wickets at the other end too

Though you could say that about any really good bowler
Yes, and on the flipside, a bowler with a high ER may affect the momentum of the other bowlers assuming they are not class.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the main things I find that stats0obsessed cricket tragics on forums like this tend to underestimate the most is the effect of tight bowling and, conversely, aggressive batting. You can't put a number on the effect a Sehwag innings has on each side or the match in general just by looking at his average and strike rate.

subshakerz

International Coach
One of the main things I find that stats0obsessed cricket tragics on forums like this tend to underestimate the most is the effect of tight bowling and, conversely, aggressive batting. You can't put a number on the effect a Sehwag innings has on each side or the match in general just by looking at his average and strike rate.
While I agree that aggressive batting makes for better batsmen all other factors equal, I would say that in a real match situation, I would prefer two batsmen at the crease batting at 3.5 a over rather than one batsman batting at 5 an over and the other at 2.5. The former tends to make for better partnerships.