• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Imran khan

Who was a better bowler

• Dale Steyn

• Imran Khan

Results are only viewable after voting.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
All these weak ass excuses on this board to try and deny Imran's obvious achievements. Posters are just vested in not believing he was as great a player he actually was.

Imran a great bowler? Nah, ball tampering and home umpires.

Imran a great all-rounder? Nah, never batted well when he bowled well.

Imran a capable bat? Nah, look at those not-outs.

Imran a great captain? Nah, got lucky with some players and fluked a World Cup victory.
Was taking the piss bro. Cheers.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here is where I feel stats dont measure up to actual match reality. A ridiculous SR like Steyn's is offset by his high ER, so its not a direct advantage that posters are making it, and a possible disadvantage. Steyn can win you a match in a session or lose you it.

A bowler who has a higher but still reasonable SR but keeps his ER down to me is more valuable because test matches can allow bowlers the time to take wickets while not leaking runs. So it's worth waiting a few extra deliveries.

One reason I rate Marshall so highly is that he had the trifecta of super low average, low ER and low SR.
I would rather have Steyn's match figures of 5-120 instead of Ambrose's 2-40 on a road. Imo, wickets move things along and I don't want an ATG pacer to just hold up an end.

subshakerz

International Coach
I would rather have Steyn's match figures of 5-120 instead of Ambrose's 2-40 on a road. Imo, wickets move things along and I don't want an ATG pacer to just hold up an end.
LOL, if by moving along you mean a batsmen taking the bowlers to the cleaners.

If its a road, Steyn is much more likely to get pillored. So its would be:

3-120 off 35 overs or 2-70 over 35 overs.

In that case, prefer Ambrose.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
LOL, if by moving along you mean a batsmen taking the bowlers to the cleaners.

If its a road, Steyn is much more likely to get pillored. So its would be:

3-120 off 35 overs or 2-70 over 35 overs.

In that case, prefer Ambrose.
Ambrose didn’t play on the **** pitches Steyn did. And he never had to truly face a monster like Sehwag on the pitches Steyn did.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I am not surprised. I was expecting this no way he openly confronts ISI chief and gets to live the tale.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Lucky Pakistanis are apparently awful shots. Seriously, assasination attempt and you get the bloke in the shin?

Anyway I voted Steyn. Might be recency bias, might be cos I loved his fiery attitude, might be cos he was the only great pace bowler going around for a significant period of time.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lucky Pakistanis are apparently awful shots. Seriously, assasination attempt and you get the bloke in the shin?

Anyway I voted Steyn. Might be recency bias, might be cos I loved his fiery attitude, might be cos he was the only great pace bowler going around for a significant period of time.
I think he was stopped while he was shooting which meant he thankfully missed the target

Slifer

International Captain
Ambrose didn’t play on the **** pitches Steyn did. And he never had to truly face a monster like Sehwag on the pitches Steyn did.
Ok so while Steyn over Curtly is fair this is bs. Curtly did well in Aussie land where literally every other pace bowler failed miserably. People are acting like Ambrose just played on Perth like wickets his entire career. He did well on flat wickets like the ARG, SCG, BOURDA, etc. Batsmen were occasionally aggressive against him but generally not because fun fact they couldn't be.

If McGrath who was a few yards slower than Curtly could keep Sehwag in check, then so too could Sir Curtly (imo).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok so while Steyn over Curtly is fair this is bs. Curtly did well in Aussie land where literally every other pace bowler failed miserably. People are acting like Ambrose just played on Perth like wickets his entire career. He did well on flat wickets like the ARG, SCG, BOURDA, etc. Batsmen were occasionally aggressive against him but generally not because fun fact they couldn't be.
Average of 66 at Sydney.

Might point out the '96/'97 series as an example of what people criticised Ambrose for later in his career. At the start of the series he went completely missing on reasonable but hardly excessively friendly batting pitches, leaving WI two down. Then he turns up on a Melbourne pitch that was grassy, damp, and inconsistent throughout the match, and after missing the flattest deck the series at Adelaide he pulls out another good performance on a cracked Perth pitch. That's why people would think his series average (23.37) overstates his actual value in the series.

If McGrath who was a few yards slower than Curtly
Lol no.