• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Batsmen (Tests)

Gob

International Coach
I watched that. It was a stellar innings. Considering the bowlers at the stage in their career, and the ground they were playing on, there is a reasonable argument for that being most destructive attack RSA have ever fielded. Best innings I can remember from a vistor in RSA before Perera other than arguably Sachin vs Steyn, which I struggle to assess, and Kohli in 2018, which I am (somewhat) unfairly dismissing because it was a dead rubber.

But this was more of an exception rather than Clarkes modus operandi away from home. He was fantastic at bruising weak visitors, but when you play as long as him and average close to 40 away, particularly in an era of mediocre bowlers, you realise this is an exception.
Not really. Fair you won't find many other knocks like the Cape Town one from Clarke himself but they were rare anyways. Clarke always played great knocks (Lords 09 comes to mind). Problem with his away record was that he didn't really piled on the runs except ashes 09 and probably India 04 but he always played great knocks. I think the worst average Clarke has in a particularly country is 39 or something in WI so he wasn't necessarily failing. Didn't check that obviously

Also who were the weak visitors he was bruising at home ? Other than India 11/12

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I was going to take over the vote counting of this thread but became confused between intended votes. I thought we might stop at the 50 batsmen we have listed. As @ankitj said " Gotta stop now? Rankings will be very arbitrary if they are not already."
On the other hand, @CricAddict says "Why? It is OK even if it is arbitrary since it is understandable. But it will give us an idea of how other batsmen are rated. I would like this to go on."

Let me know if you want "Stop" or "Continue". If the latter, I will count the posts that lodge a vote and ignore those comparing 2 players. Decision in a couple of days.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there interest for a list just for openers? I can start one if there is. It would be interesting to see how the order goes after the first 4. Let me know.
Going by this list, the order of openers is:

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Boycott
Trumper
Simpson
Smith
Sehwag
Hayden
Greenidge

Which doesn't seem a million miles away from where things would end up in a dedicated openers' ranking. That being said, I've seen Greenidge rated higher than at least four or five of those blokes ahead of him here in other CW lists - I don't know how recently the last "CW ranks the openers" exercise was but I'm pretty sure Greenidge came in comfortably higher than 11th.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there interest for a list just for openers? I can start one if there is. It would be interesting to see how the order goes after the first 4. Let me know.
I agree with @The Sean's assessment. It might be a little repetitive voting for the opening 10 or so places, but it would be interesting to see how other openers fit in behind them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to take over the vote counting of this thread but became confused between intended votes. I thought we might stop at the 50 batsmen we have listed. As @ankitj said " Gotta stop now? Rankings will be very arbitrary if they are not already."
On the other hand, @CricAddict says "Why? It is OK even if it is arbitrary since it is understandable. But it will give us an idea of how other batsmen are rated. I would like this to go on."

Let me know if you want "Stop" or "Continue". If the latter, I will count the posts that lodge a vote and ignore those comparing 2 players. Decision in a couple of days.
If numbers don't improve in voting, I think stop. Pointless if only 3-5 voters each round. If numbers of voters are better, then keep going.