• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Batsmen (Tests)

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
This part is true. Ftr I think peak Clarke was closer to Lara than DeVilliers if we strictly keep this for tests. Not many can slap Steyn, Phillander and Morkel the way he did on a Cape Town pitch which yielded two double figure team scores for the next two innings.
Timely reminder of how good he was. If not for the bad back, Clarke was on course for a dead set ATG
I watched that. It was a stellar innings. Considering the bowlers at the stage in their career, and the ground they were playing on, there is a reasonable argument for that being most destructive attack RSA have ever fielded. Best innings I can remember from a vistor in RSA before Perera other than arguably Sachin vs Steyn, which I struggle to assess, and Kohli in 2018, which I am (somewhat) unfairly dismissing because it was a dead rubber.

But this was more of an exception rather than Clarkes modus operandi away from home. He was fantastic at bruising weak visitors, but when you play as long as him and average close to 40 away, particularly in an era of mediocre bowlers, you realise this is an exception.

gftw

U19 12th Man
Morris - 1
Yousuf - 4
Clarke - 5
Paynter - 1
Amla - 1
Mitchell - 1
Gower - 1
Gilchrist - 2

The List
1. Don Bradman
2. Jack Hobbs
3. Garry Sobers
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards
6. Brian Lara
7. Len Hutton
8. Wally Hammond
9. Sunil Gavaskar
10. Steve Smith
11. George Headley
12. Herbert Sutcliffe
13. Greg Chappell
14. Ricky Ponting
15. Graeme Pollock
16. Kumar Sangakkara
17. Allan Border
18. Jacques Kallis
19. Steve Waugh
20. Ken Barrington
21. Javed Miandad
22. Rahul Dravid
23. Everton Weekes
24. Denis Compton
25. Younis Khan
26. Clyde Walcott
27. Dudley Nourse
28. AB de Villiers
29. Geoffrey Boycott
30. Andy Flower
31. Victor Trumper
32. Bob Simpson
33. Rohan Kanhai
34. Neil Harvey
35. Frank Worrell
36. Joe Root
37. Graeme Smith
38. Virat Kohli
39. Kane Williamson
40. Virender Sehwag
41. Matthew Hayden
42. Gordon Greenidge
43. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
44. Martin Crowe
45. Inzamam-ul-Haq
46. Peter May
47. Stan McCabe
48. Clive Lloyd
49. Clem Hill
50. Michael Clarke

The vote for the #51 test batsman of all-time begins now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I watched that. It was a stellar innings. Considering the bowlers at the stage in their career, and the ground they were playing on, there is a reasonable argument for that being most destructive attack RSA have ever fielded. Best innings I can remember from a vistor in RSA before Perera other than arguably Sachin vs Steyn, which I struggle to assess, and Kohli in 2018, which I am (somewhat) unfairly dismissing because it was a dead rubber.

But this was more of an exception rather than Clarkes modus operandi away from home. He was fantastic at bruising weak visitors, but when you play as long as him and average close to 40 away, particularly in an era of mediocre bowlers, you realise this is an exception.
Pretty sure 2018 Virat s knock was NOT a dead rubber

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Probably meant that 50 & 40 in Johannesburg on that vile pitch but I could be wrong.
Didnt realise he scored that little in either innings, just remember him being next level in the game. More fair to say it was a great match match performance rather than a great innings. That pitch was an insult to cricket.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Didnt realise he scored that little in either innings, just remember him being next level in the game. More fair to say it was a great match match performance rather than a great innings. That pitch was an insult to cricket.
Made 54 and 41 only bettered by Amla's 61 and 52. Elgar had the 86* though in the 4th innings in vain.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
**** the averages. Vote VVS Laxman. 281, 73 Mohali 2010, 96 at Durban 2010 all legendary innings. Also jumped three feet outside leg to inside out drive Shane Warne from the rough through the covers.

**** the averages. Vote VVS Laxman. 281, 73 Mohali 2010, 96 at Durban 2010 all legendary innings. Also jumped three feet outside leg to inside out drive Shane Warne from the rough through the covers.

Yes. Very good player. His averages got affected by him being forced to open early in his career. But Yousuf and Gilchrist do deserve to get in ahead of him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

See the greatness of this shot is that he jumped out and hit a ball from same length, line and trajectory through midwicket the ball before. Warney then moved his midwicket straighter and this was the response. :wub:

Must have broken so many of his toenails, VVS... :p